logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline heeler  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2012 2:56:57 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"Lots of folks ask - do I have a stuck fermentation??? It's possible, but most times if we disect how they started their process of fermentation we find that they were just a little impatient and added their yeast way too soon. (I too am guilty of doing this)
They say well I waited until the next day and added more and then it took off. Ahhhh a clue, it had cooled enough by the next day that it did'nt kill the next addition of yeast. So the thinking is it must have been stuck when in fact it was cooked to death --- literally.
So to avoid a stuck fermentation -----MAKE SURE OF YOUR TEMPS BEFORE ADDING YOUR YEAST."
Offline heeler  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2012 3:16:16 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"Something else that might not let fermentation start is we did'nt clean all the bleach or cleaner out of our fermenter. We say well I cleaned it really good with Clorox just to make sure it was spick and span but I still dont have anything happening inside. Make sure you rinse and rinse again because once the bleach is in your wash its prolly not be a cozy home for your yeast and will have to be thrown out. I started useing a no rinse sanitizer in leu of bleach for that very reason. But some folks dont think sanitation is that important and have prolly never had a problem so try it both ways and see if one suits you better than the other. I think a clean and sanitized fermenter for something I'm gonna consume is just the way to go. But thats just me.

So temp control -- and now sanitation, hmmmmmm, what else can go wrong??"
#3 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2012 4:13:01 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Good points. In times past with a slow starting ferment..thought surely that the yeast had accidentally been killed by the residual bleach but never have managed to actually accomplish the mission so have about decided a normal old rinse works ok with bleach. I have recently become interested in ph factors involving the wash. I have had three consecutive less than spectacular ferments. Started out blaming the hot weather but have now decided the trouble began with trying to do a clone UJSM using cornmeal and building a new ferment on the old yeast bed and some of the left over liquid. Cornmeal is hard to drain to the point of being high and dry. The only factor I can envision is the ph got out of balance due to the inclusion of the old. Any thoughts on this topic? For example would the sludge from a previous ferment be high or low on the ph scale? I was guessing it prob be low and dumped a half cup baking soda into the ten gallon wash which aint acting right. It bubbled and sizzled like a big dawg. Thinking maybe I shoulda dumped some vinegar in it. Anything else in the old ferment which could be impacting the new one in a negative manner? Thanks.