logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline scotty  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 09, 2012 10:31:07 PM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

"ll i can think of right nowI have read pierre rajotes book on yeast a few times. His main interest is yeast propogation. Although i have the equipment, i am actually afraid to try to do it.

The thing that i supose we all get from any reading or experience is that after choosing a proper yeast, sanitization is absolutely necessary. My last7 gallons of irish whiskey wash proved that.

The other thing that i think all books stress is slow fermentation to avoid stressing the yeast and producing off flavors.
Thats all that comes to mind except that a cup of coffee would be nice right now."
Offline admin  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2012 1:17:15 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
For yeast culturing you need everything to be sterilized, not just sanitized. In hydrated form the yeast is far more susceptible to contamination, and that would then be carried over to each batch.
Offline scotty  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2012 1:34:09 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Originally Posted by: Admin Go to Quoted Post
For yeast culturing you need everything to be sterilized, not just sanitized. In hydrated form the yeast is far more susceptible to contamination, and that would then be carried over to each batch.

I've been looking for a small, cheap autoclave for years. I dont think that one exists. I know a pressire cooker will do it but i need toys.
#4 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2012 2:02:41 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Now what miniature objects from the hooch making hobby could fit in an autoclave? Measuring spoons maybe? Try Clorox young man.