logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline heeler  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 09, 2012 9:50:15 PM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"The yeast you use is dependent upon what you are making. For example...

for whiskey use a dry ale yeast..such as distillers yeast or ec-1118
for rum try a bread yeast...or maybe a rum turbo yeast
for sugar use a turbo yeast or distillers yeast..
and for beers the choices are really style dependent, like lagers or ales or porters each requires its own ester profile.

And now there is even a yeast that is specifically designed to make fuel."
Offline scotty  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 09, 2012 10:22:52 PM(UTC)
scotty

I use ec1118 for for neutral spirits because it ferments completely and clean. And ec1122 for whiskeys because it has the ability to leave flavors a bit.

I like to ferment at as cool a temperature as i can. I'm partial to below 70F. when possible. In the warmer months with the A/C running 24/7 i ferment at just below 80F. In the winter i block off a room and use a brew belt along with an electric blanket and a remote thermostat to maintain 65 F.
I always use a starter bottle that i start with neutrients at least 8 hours before pitching to the wash. The wash is aerated with a stone for one full hour before pitching the starter bottle And the starter bottle is aerated for 15 minutes before adding the selected yeast.
Offline johnnyapplepie  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2012 6:59:43 AM(UTC)
johnnyapplepie

Groups: Registered

once pitching the yeast what is your time frame before you pour it into the cooker?
Offline scotty  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2012 7:17:36 AM(UTC)
scotty

Originally Posted by: johnnyapplepie Go to Quoted Post
once pitching the yeast what is your time frame before you pour it into the cooker?

The hydrometer is the dictator. For vodka it must read below 1 and for whiskey, i try to stabilize the wash at about 1 or a hair above.

Why, i'm not positive but i believe that too complete of a fermentation will reduce the amount of flavor.

This thinking comes from seeing that most beer fermentation is stopped before the hydrometer reaches 1
I asumed they want to leave some of the fermentables to save the flavor.
I think that infusion rather than step mashing also preserves flavor.
Offline ratflinger  
#5 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2012 12:07:54 PM(UTC)
ratflinger

IMHO pitch anything you want with a sugar wash (particularly I'd pitch the turbo out the door). I've tried EC1118, bakers, distillers, doesn't seem to matter about the outcome, but distillers is picky about the environment.
Offline heeler  
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 12, 2012 12:39:13 PM(UTC)
heeler

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I dont use turbos anymore either but thats just me.....and I've had great results with the others mentioned, and presently I'm convinced that distillers yeast is the bomb.
Offline johnnyapplepie  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 14, 2012 6:19:06 AM(UTC)
johnnyapplepie

I bought some turbo and EC1118 yeast today a packet of both. the Turbo yeast comes in a bit of a bigger packet then the EC1118 both packets are to be used with 6 gallons.
I plan to do my first run with Sugar, Water and yeast (Tomato Paste, salt, and lime juice) does it matter which packet of yeast I use? I believe If i used either one it'll take about 6 to 7 days for ferment right?
Offline dieselduo  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 14, 2012 8:05:28 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I'm thinking he means epsom salt which is magnesium sulfate
Offline scotty  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, August 14, 2012 8:39:29 AM(UTC)
scotty

What temperature are you fermenting at. I dont ever remember anything i made fermenting in a week. I never used a turbo though.
#10 Posted : Tuesday, August 14, 2012 9:26:33 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Sounded like what us oil field trash from Whiskeyta Falls would call a Red Draw..which got its DNA comingled with a margarito. lol.

Originally Posted by: dieselduo Go to Quoted Post
I'm thinking he means epsom salt which is magnesium sulfate
Offline johnnyapplepie  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, August 14, 2012 12:42:50 PM(UTC)
johnnyapplepie

yes i meant epsom salt, but i may leave that out of this batch. I'm thinking about mixing up the wash tonight. As far as testing the wash to see if its ready all I have is a Hydrometer and Tralles scale. Can I test the wash with that? If i'm not able to cook it say in 7 or 8 days from now would it hurt if I kept it to say the weekend?
Offline ratflinger  
#12 Posted : Saturday, August 18, 2012 2:17:04 AM(UTC)
ratflinger

You can test the SG & calculate potential ABV, but that's it. Proof & Tralles doesn't work so well with dissolved solids.

Also - I've given up on EC1118. It's working real slow & the room it's in is in the mid 80s. Wash temp started out at 95* Pitched some commercial bakers & it took right off. Distillers is good too, but also picky about temp. Long ago I decided to take mountain walkers advice & quit pushing for the max abv I could get. I now just buy 25 lbs of sugar, make 12 gal of wash with 20lbs of it, wait a week & put in the other 5 lbs & let it sit until I'm ready to cook. Rick's new kettle handles 12 gal w/o an issue.
Offline scotty  
#13 Posted : Saturday, August 18, 2012 2:27:22 AM(UTC)
scotty

John do you have a tripple scale hydrometer???
#14 Posted : Saturday, August 18, 2012 4:05:29 AM(UTC)

Thanks for the report on EC 1118. I have seen several others give it less than a glowing report..not to the extent that Turbos get bashed but at least #2 in the pecking order of crappy yeast. Always wondered what be a good use of that extry five pounds sugar in the big bag. I cant figger out why the big bags are the same price per oz as the 10 lb pounds. Must be some kind of evil marketing scheme. Did not realize bread could handle that much sugar. Very impressive.

Originally Posted by: ratflinger Go to Quoted Post
You can test the SG & calculate potential ABV, but that's it. Proof & Tralles doesn't work so well with dissolved solids.

Also - I've given up on EC1118. It's working real slow & the room it's in is in the mid 80s. Wash temp started out at 95* Pitched some commercial bakers & it took right off. Distillers is good too, but also picky about temp. Long ago I decided to take mountain walkers advice & quit pushing for the max abv I could get. I now just buy 25 lbs of sugar, make 12 gal of wash with 20lbs of it, wait a week & put in the other 5 lbs & let it sit until I'm ready to cook. Rick's new kettle handles 12 gal w/o an issue.
#15 Posted : Saturday, August 18, 2012 4:10:12 AM(UTC)

Well the only place I have seen the Trailles terminology is wrote on the hooch checker as opposed to the wash checker. It seems to hit at half of whatever proof it is so maybe that is the percentage section. If it is the hooch gauge dont think it help much on the wash cycle. Just eye ball and taste of it. Should be dry as in not sweet to the taste and settled out some.

Originally Posted by: johnnyapplepie Go to Quoted Post
yes i meant epsom salt, but i may leave that out of this batch. I'm thinking about mixing up the wash tonight. As far as testing the wash to see if its ready all I have is a Hydrometer and Tralles scale. Can I test the wash with that? If i'm not able to cook it say in 7 or 8 days from now would it hurt if I kept it to say the weekend?
Offline Hokey  
#16 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2012 9:34:42 AM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi there. Just a newbie with is probably a stupid question. I was at the feed store buying sweet feed and molasses for my neighbors goats and while there I saw a 1 to 2 lb bottle of Brewers Yeast. Can I assume this is nothing I want to put into a ferment? Not that I would anyway.