logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#21 Posted : Friday, August 24, 2012 9:51:47 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Hearty congrats Sir!! Sounds like your just about in bizness here. Did you knock out the little O ring down in the neck of the keg? If so tell us the best way to do it..if not..best go knock it out and tell us how you done it. Now was you the one with a hook up kit where the SS gizmo did not have a screen? Or maybe that was somebody else. If it happen to be you..how did you handle that deal? If it aint you..never mind. Thanks.

Originally Posted by: dasorge Go to Quoted Post
Flat --

I just completed the valved reflux column from the moonshine page. bigwheel convinced me to attach the column to the keg with a tri-clamp instead of cutting a hole in the keg and attaching the ss bowl. No cutting was needed for this set up and I like the set up! ran a water test through it and found a leak. got that fixed and ran one clean out run and will do another this weekend.
Offline muadib2001  
#22 Posted : Friday, August 24, 2012 1:08:34 PM(UTC)
muadib2001

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: fatboylo Go to Quoted Post
2 quest is would a regular pickle jar work with the temps?

I have read again and again DO NOT USE GLASS FOR A THUMPER.

I have no experience in this area, just what I have read.
Offline heeler  
#23 Posted : Saturday, August 25, 2012 6:21:20 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
fellas I too have read no glass for a thumper.......but I used a mason jar and had no prollems. I'm not saying its the safest way to go but it worked fine in my case. Now....a pickle jar I cant say. The whole reasoning behind no glass is the saftey issue of course. I never broke one but we can all visualize it happening, in my opinion the only issue is how are you gonna keep that jar on your down tubes???? If you decide to used a jar I'll tell ya what I did if your intersted. Again in my opinion I dont think its really necessary but if it gives you the warm fuzzy feeling then go for it, with the appropriate glassware of course. A mason jar or Ball mason jar can take the heat.
Offline scotty  
#24 Posted : Saturday, August 25, 2012 7:27:19 AM(UTC)
scotty

Heeler are you saying that you didnt see any worthwhile results from installing the thumper.. I have always wondered about that. I cant say that i grasp the principle any how.BigGrin
#25 Posted : Saturday, August 25, 2012 7:32:14 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Purty well knew that was you who had used the glass thumper with success...but did not want to hazard a wild guess in the event of being wrong. This place has turned into a shark tank ya know? No use to go dripping any spare blood in the water. Glad you fessed on up. I mean anybody who uses PVC for the column should have no issues with a glass thumper..lol.

Originally Posted by: heeler Go to Quoted Post
fellas I too have read no glass for a thumper.......but I used a mason jar and had no prollems. I'm not saying its the safest way to go but it worked fine in my case. Now....a pickle jar I cant say. The whole reasoning behind no glass is the saftey issue of course. I never broke one but we can all visualize it happening, in my opinion the only issue is how are you gonna keep that jar on your down tubes???? If you decide to used a jar I'll tell ya what I did if your intersted. Again in my opinion I dont think its really necessary but if it gives you the warm fuzzy feeling then go for it, with the appropriate glassware of course. A mason jar or Ball mason jar can take the heat.
Offline dasorge  
#26 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2012 5:16:44 AM(UTC)
dasorge

Groups: Registered

"
Originally Posted by: bigwheel Go to Quoted Post
Hearty congrats Sir!! Sounds like your just about in bizness here. Did you knock out the little O ring down in the neck of the keg? If so tell us the best way to do it..if not..best go knock it out and tell us how you done it. Now was you the one with a hook up kit where the SS gizmo did not have a screen? Or maybe that was somebody else. If it happen to be you..how did you handle that deal? If it aint you..never mind. Thanks.

All I took out was the ball valve assembly. I noticed the ring the assembly sits on but decided to leave it intack -- incase i want to use the keg for beer in the future. Looks like that ring is attached to the neck as one piece. I don't think taking it out would cause that much problems in the run as it really doesn't restrict anythinganyway. Yeah it was me with the hook up kit without the screen. I decided, at least for now anyway, to use copper packing. I can add and remove the copper packing from the bottom of the column as needed. If I leave it out, I can run the apparatus as a pot still."
Offline heeler  
#27 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2012 5:56:11 AM(UTC)
heeler

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"
Originally Posted by: scotty Go to Quoted Post
Heeler are you saying that you didnt see any worthwhile results from installing the thumper.. I have always wondered about that. I cant say that i grasp the principle any how.BigGrin

What I found with useing it was I could REALLY tell when the end was near. That cloudy oily mess would show up in that little jug first(the thumper) and I'd know its time to call it quits. I'm not absolutly possitive that its double distillation but thats what they say. I dont have that unit anymore and just never did add it to the next one I built. Maybe just too lazy but I can still get some pretty good neutrals. I would'nt tell anybody that to make the real thing you MUST have a thumper, but some may disagree."