logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline johnnyapplepie  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 03, 2012 6:40:33 AM(UTC)
johnnyapplepie

Groups: Registered

I just bought a PSII with no manual or setup instructions. Can anyone point me to where I can download a copy of the manual?
Offline kotura  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2013 10:01:58 AM(UTC)
kotura

Im having the same issue. Im trying to at least find a picture of one thats completely set up so I can copy. Seems all the pictures I find have zero hoses lol.
Offline Bushy  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2013 10:38:20 AM(UTC)
Bushy

Column water goes in at the top and out at the bottom. Condenser water goes in at the bottom and out at the top.

Don't roll the copper mesh to tight, just tight enough to stay in the column. The looser the better.

Put some boiling chips in the boiler, smooth rocks, marbles that are not coated, ceramic rings, SS chain, etc.
Offline kotura  
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2013 12:56:37 PM(UTC)
kotura

"
Originally Posted by: Bushy Go to Quoted Post
Column water goes in at the top and out at the bottom. Condenser water goes in at the bottom and out at the top.

Don't roll the copper mesh to tight, just tight enough to stay in the column. The looser the better.

Put some boiling chips in the boiler, smooth rocks, marbles that are not coated, ceramic rings, SS chain, etc.

Thanks Bushy!

I will give it a whirl and see how it goes. I appreciate the info.
I was confused on where the water controller valve and the other splitter went.
I did find a video on youtube with the same still as mine. (High Capacity Extractor 15 gallon ps 2) and am trying to copy that.
The video moves around a bit and Im trying to find a good spot to pause it at."
Offline Piscean  
#5 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2013 4:52:29 AM(UTC)
Piscean

"Actually, both inbound water lines go to the lower fittings. Hopefully the attached jpg will clarify for you.

Good luck.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]762[/ATTACH]"
Piscean attached the following image(s):
Water%20lines.jpg (172kb) downloaded 35 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Offline kotura  
#6 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2013 10:41:01 AM(UTC)
kotura

tHANK YOU sooooooo Much!!

This is exactly what i needed.
I cant wait to try it
thanks again!

Originally Posted by: Piscean Go to Quoted Post
Actually, both inbound water lines go to the lower fittings. Hopefully the attached jpg will clarify for you.

Good luck.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]762[/ATTACH]
Offline scotty  
#7 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2013 12:43:28 PM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

water fed to the top pipes is a topic that we should discuss-- ill start a new thread somewhere
Offline Dab745  
#8 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2013 4:55:41 AM(UTC)
Dab745

Hi. Good to know. However, why would I need, what purpose do the "boiling chips" serve in the bottom of the boiler? Also, when running the high capacity column in pot still mode, should I still pack with copper mesh? Thanks in advance
Offline Piscean  
#9 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2013 5:17:56 AM(UTC)
Piscean

Originally Posted by: Dab745 Go to Quoted Post
Hi. Good to know. However, why would I need, what purpose do the "boiling chips" serve in the bottom of the boiler? Also, when running the high capacity column in pot still mode, should I still pack with copper mesh? Thanks in advance

From Wikipedia: A boiling chip or boiling stone is a tiny, uneven shaped piece of substance added to liquids to make them boil more calmly. Boiling chips are frequently employed in distillation and heating. When a liquid becomes superheated, a particle of dust or a stirring rod can cause flash boiling. This very rapid boiling can be extremely violent and cause reagents to splatter, possibly causing severe burns, ruining an experiment, and damaging equipment. Boiling chips work by providing nucleation sites so the liquid boils smoothly without becoming superheated or bumping.

I haven't run in pot still mode, so I'll let someone more knowledgeable reply to that portion of the question.
Offline Dab745  
#10 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2013 6:16:31 AM(UTC)
Dab745

Thank you!
Offline Bushy  
#11 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 2:57:23 PM(UTC)
Bushy

Hi kotura, Yes the diagram shows the water going in at the bottom on the column. But the only reason you would want to do that is if you are haveing a siphoning problem and that is unlikely to happen with this rig while useing a pump.
You want the head of your column to be the coldest part of your column when useing it as a reflux rig, hence attaching your input in the top of the tower and exiting at the bottom. Otherwise the vapors are cooling and then heating again before exiting to the condenser.
I've been bringing the water in at the top for quite some time with good results and I believe some others on here are doing it the same way.