logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Orange Sunshine  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 23, 2012 3:54:04 PM(UTC)
Orange Sunshine

Groups: Registered

"Anyone have a link to, or just a great Bourbon recipe for a 25 liter wash?

I can scale up or down if yours is larger or smaller..."
Offline scotty  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 23, 2012 9:33:24 PM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

I think that for burbon, you need corn and rye. 75% corn and 25% rye malt should work but then you must change proportions for diferent flavor. I would used flaked corn for more corn flavor. (((I THINK))

I havent done it yet. Let me look and see if i made any notes on burbon

BRB
THIS IS ALL I HAVE

Differences between rye and bourbon
Rye is known for imparting what many call a spicy or fruity flavor to the whiskey. Due to its distinctive flavor, American rye whiskey is sometimes referred to as America's equivalent of an Islay whisky.[6] Bourbon, distilled from at least 51% corn, is noticeably sweeter, and tends to be fuller bodied than rye. As bourbon gained popularity beyond the southern United States, bartenders increasingly substituted it for rye in cocktails like Whiskey Sours, Manhattans, and Old Fashioneds, which were initially made only with rye. All other things being equal, the character of the cocktail will be drier with rye.[7]
Bourbon Production methods: A set of strict laws govern bourbon production. It must be distilled from a mash of at least 51 percent corn, with wheat, rye or barley making up the remaining 49 percent. It is distilled to 160 proof (or less) and aged in newly charred American oak casks.
Flavors: Each recipe produces different aromas and flavors. High corn recipe bourbons, such as Jim Beam and Old Pogue's, run from sweetness to light spice. High rye bourbons have a distinctive bold and spicy character, some good examples are Bulleit (which makes a great Manhattan) and Basil Hayden's Small Batch.
Aging: Straight bourbon means the whiskey has been aged for at least two years, but most bourbon is aged for at least four years. In a sour mash, a small amount of fermented matter from an older batch is added to keep consistent flavor.
((NOTE))--I'm not a drinker so I have rarely ever have whiskey or bourbon and really don't have any clue what they should taste like. I'm curious for a description from people who have--particularly if anyone could give me suggestions on what non-alchololic stuff one could mix together to get a good approximation of what it'd taste like. Just curious.

If you dipped some burnt toast in water with some liquid smoke and a tiny bit of molasses
- Bourbon taste like a dry oak blend. It depends on what type of bourbon or whiskey you try. For example, Jack Daniels or Jim Beam are cheaper and aren't aged to give it that smooth liquor flavor. If you want a smooth bourbon, wild turkey, maker's mark, or Gentlemen Jack are going to have that smooth oak taste. Imagine that you broke a branch off an oak tree so you can smell the fresh oak from the end of the branch, that's what it's going to smell, and taste like.
Offline scotty  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 24, 2012 3:53:14 AM(UTC)
scotty

"
Originally Posted by: bigwheel Go to Quoted Post
Have you considered Uncle Jessies recipe called UJSM? Makes a good base then you soak the finished product in various charred wood products to give it a bourbonesqe flavor/color. Here is a site which gives some recipes for it. I would get some suggestions on how to tweak it before jumping off into making it. The original recipe is too light in sugar and uses crappy yeast. It supposed to be based on cracked corn for flavor but lends itself well to subbing out other grains and or combos. Whole corn..cornmeal..rye..sweet feed etc. Is the most painless way I have found to make a bourbon like product. Best of fortunes.

http://aussiedistiller.com.au/v...pic.php?t=512&p=4619

I already cheat with my vodks heads. I add either and or---various wood chips-- rye---a drop of vanilla-- a few drops of glycerine and anchovies from time to time"
Offline Orange Sunshine  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 27, 2012 2:41:48 AM(UTC)
Orange Sunshine

Thanks Mr. Scotty & BigWheel. I have made my effort, but things are not looking promising, nor smelling promising...my recipe was 10 lb flaked wheat, 2 lb flaked rye and 1 lb flaked wheat for a 25 liter wash. The mash was OK temp wise 145 degrees for 90 minuets, I added all to mash tun for the 122 degree protein rest stirred and it quickly became a porridge. By the time I was up to up to 145 degrees it had turned to more of a paste and I added a gallon of water at a time, probably 3 extra gallons all told...but it remains a paste. I pitched a turbo and stirred it in and it is bubbling away, stinking sour and still a paste. I cannot see any separation of liquid, settling of flakes grains, or any hope of straining 25 liters of liquid from what appears to be a fermenting mash tun of drywall mud! Help!?
Offline scotty  
#5 Posted : Saturday, July 28, 2012 10:46:54 PM(UTC)
scotty

"
Originally Posted by: Orange Sunshine Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Mr. Scotty & BigWheel. I have made my effort, but things are not looking promising, nor smelling promising...my recipe was 10 lb flaked wheat, 2 lb flaked rye and 1 lb flaked wheat for a 25 liter wash. The mash was OK temp wise 145 degrees for 90 minuets, I added all to mash tun for the 122 degree protein rest stirred and it quickly became a porridge. By the time I was up to up to 145 degrees it had turned to more of a paste and I added a gallon of water at a time, probably 3 extra gallons all told...but it remains a paste. I pitched a turbo and stirred it in and it is bubbling away, stinking sour and still a paste. I cannot see any separation of liquid, settling of flakes grains, or any hope of straining 25 liters of liquid from what appears to be a fermenting mash tun of drywall mud! Help!?

Didnt you use any malted grains????"
Offline heeler  
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 29, 2012 5:13:43 AM(UTC)
heeler

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"orangesunshine...you asked for a bourbon recipe and later in the thread you explained what went wrong....did you follow a actual recipe????
I'm pretty sure you dont mash ---flaked wheat-- and the rye is something that requires very little time in heat to be utilized in a mash, espesially if it too is flaked.
And like Scotty asked what did you use for malt??

Go to homedistillers.org and look for a recipe that will work for your needs if you cant find one here. You will get the recipe and the layout to make it work, but first read mashing and utilizing grains in a mash. Hope this helps."
Offline Orange Sunshine  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 02, 2012 2:38:52 PM(UTC)
Orange Sunshine

"OK guys, I had to leave it in the garage for a week as it was too heavy to move. It fermented the whole time on a turbo and my BBQ laser thermometer read 81 degrees every day while it bubbled away and stank like vomit.

I diluted the batch into two coolers and strained enough for two 6 gallon washes. I ran a stripping run today and was a little afraid to taste it, but the distillate also smelled of vomit and so did the tube feeding the distillate into collection jars. Bound to have a failure sometime, guess this may have to be my 15 seconds...I will taste again tomorrow, maybe will do a reflux run, but on my rum runs I still got molasses flavor in reflux run...so I am afraid of an acid reflux run on this nonsense batch...pun very much intended."
Offline Orange Sunshine  
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 02, 2012 3:52:14 PM(UTC)
Orange Sunshine

"Had to pour it all out...smelled like some combo of burning rubber and vomit...even the distillate was nasty. All gone, lesson learned is that I just don't know what I am doing with the Bourbon recipe yet. All flaked grain is definitely a problem, so I won't do that again.

My rum is working nicely..."
Offline John Barleycorn  
#9 Posted : Thursday, August 02, 2012 11:29:13 PM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
..even the distillate was nasty.
The low wines you get from stripping can smell pretty awful, especially if you run it way down. I strip down to 25% or so and it always smells offensive to me. The following spirit run cleans everything up.
finger lakes highlander  
#10 Posted : Friday, February 22, 2013 10:52:50 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Had to pour it all out...smelled like some combo of burning rubber and vomit...even the distillate was nasty. All gone, lesson learned is that I just don't know what I am doing with the Bourbon recipe yet. All flaked grain is definitely a problem, so I won't do that again.

I dumped a run of George Washington Ryel - smelled like vomit to me also. I used flaked rye in the recipe. I've been looking for rye grain and only found malted rye in the home brew store. I've read Ian Smiley's book and he writes of using flaked rye and malted rye, so I think I'll follow what he says and try a rye whiskey again.
Highlander