logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline rebsnyder  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 23, 2012 1:00:50 PM(UTC)
rebsnyder

Groups: Registered

I have 5-50lb bags of 5 different grains mixed and crushed it is used for making whole grain bread what would I have to do to make whiskey out of it? I'm thinking if I mash it I should be able to make alcohol out of it but I'm not sure since it isn't malted, if I just mash it would I have to add some sugar?
Offline John Barleycorn  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 23, 2012 1:55:50 PM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"Reb,

Do you know what the grains are? Depending on the what you have, you may have cook your mix first to gelatinize ... before you mix in your malt. But I would think you should be able to go without sugar. Or you could just make a sugarhead & use the grain just for flavor (a la Sweetfeed). In any case, sounds like that stock of grain should keep you busy for a while!

--JB"
Offline rebsnyder  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 23, 2012 2:10:04 PM(UTC)
rebsnyder

Not sure of grains but do I need to add malt?
Offline John Barleycorn  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 23, 2012 2:32:04 PM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

"If you have unmalted grains, you need enzymes to convert the starch in those grains to sugars ... and the yeast in turn will convert the sugars to ethanol. That's where the malt comes in ... it provides the enzymes. Here's a great page that explains things much better than I ever could:

http://www.howtobrew.com...on2/chapter12.html"
Offline rebsnyder  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 23, 2012 2:35:54 PM(UTC)
rebsnyder

Is it the same with the rolled wheat? If so I've been trying to make a recipe using these bulk grains do you know of any recipes
Offline John Barleycorn  
#6 Posted : Monday, July 23, 2012 3:18:52 PM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

"I'm not familiar with, and have never used rolled wheat. I've played around with rolled oats some. Usually ""rolled"" means that the grain was already gelatinized, so you don't necessarily have to worry about pre-cooking. With wheat the gelatinization temp is somewhere around 60 C (140 F) so you probably wouldn't worry about that anyway since you'll be mashing around that temp.

In any case, with wheat, yes it's the same -- since you don't have the enzymes, you still need some malt to convert the starch to sugar. How much malt you need depends on the type of malt that you use (its diastatic power), and the amount of wheat (or other unmalted grain) that you want to use.

Sorry, I don't have any recipes. But you could look at some of the wheat beer recipes to get the creative juices flowing. With so much grain at your disposal, you have plenty room for experimenting!"