logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline fatboylo  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 14, 2012 9:17:52 AM(UTC)
fatboylo

Groups: Registered

Ok, I am new and have 2 runs under my belt. Help me understand the mix and cut process. I am using a 12 quart pot still and have noticed that as I am distilling each time I swap jars the proof has dropped by 10 to 20 proof. Do I mix these together and call it what it is at the end. Also, what is meant by cut. the best I have come up with is 110 proof in the first jar, 90 in the second, should I mix these and again what is meant by cut!~!!!!!? Thanks:)
Offline fatboylo  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 14, 2012 9:45:45 AM(UTC)
fatboylo

Yes bigwheel that helps alot, let me ask you this.......when my temp it 195 I was still getting a fair amount of dis but to me it had a different smell I proofed it and it was only 40 proof, I took this as tails and chucked it, was this keepable? And should you mix the different jars of different proofs?
Offline fatboylo  
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 14, 2012 11:53:20 AM(UTC)
fatboylo

No bigwheel it was still crystal clear. It wasn't stinky, it just smelt different then the other jars. They had that good whiskey smell, this smelt like whiskey with a turd!!!!!! roflmao Drinking some 110 proof right now....damn tastey! Don't remember hearing......is it ok to use tap water for your wash?
Offline ohyeahyeah  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 20, 2012 4:39:03 AM(UTC)
ohyeahyeah

Using a pot still most people do stripping runs to collect "low wines" then do a run of low wines called a spirit run. The reason is for exactly what you describe, your abv drops off drastically with each jar collected on a pot still when starting with a low abv. When doing a spirit run your abv will stay steady all through the hearts. As soon as it starts to drop the taste will get bummy.
I have done low wine runs on all grain that starts coming off at 130 and tastes really nice once you are into the hearts but the abv drops off before you can collect a decent amount. For me a 10 gallon fermentor makes about 8-10 quarts of low wines and after spirit run that cuts down to about 2 quarts of hearts at 170 abv.
If you want to try it do your stripping run all the way down to the original abv. At that point the distillate will be cloudy but thats fine. So a 10% mash gets collected right down to 20 proof on the stripping run. On the spirit run i stop collecting once the abv drops by 10. By then you are into tails and they aren't worth keeping for me. Heads may come off at a bit higher abv then hearts, but not always.

You will always taste tails, no matter how you air it out. Tails have kind of sweet flavor almost. If you have ever had knob creek, it taste like tails. Bookers tastes like heads. And Buffalo Trace tastes like pure hearts.
Offline ohyeahyeah  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 20, 2012 8:36:41 AM(UTC)
ohyeahyeah

"get a life here"
I love how you chime in on every post always crapping on traditional ways of potstilling while always failing to actually mention you run a cm REFLUX still that redistills your product at least several dozen times all it evaporates and condenses while moving up the column through the packing. You dont run a potstill. A packed column cm reflux still's intended purpose is making neutral spirit, not whiskey, not rum, not brandy, not anyother thing but neutral.

A cm style reflux still is great for its ability to compress tails, which is why you don't get any in your clear likkor. In a potstill the tails start coming a lot earlier.

The only bourbon on shelfs here with a screw top is Jim Beam black and white label and some other brand that comes in a bottle looks exactly like jack daniels but aint. Jack aint bourbon as they filter it through their own maple charcoal which breaks the rules of bourbon.
Offline NiteWrangler  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2013 5:54:26 AM(UTC)
NiteWrangler

Just made my first runs the other day. Highest I got was around 90 proof. I'm running a small setup. 2gal pressure cooker still. Loaded the still and brout it up to 175. Threw out the first 50ml. Made my cuts and shut it down when it got to about 40 proof. Collected all the good in one jar and all the lower proof in a second jar. My next question is where do I go from here? Thanks for any input
Offline badbill2  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2013 12:38:23 PM(UTC)
badbill2

Sounds like you gotta work on your mash. Don't matter how much, but it does matter what you start with.
Offline NiteWrangler  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2013 1:28:16 PM(UTC)
NiteWrangler

"
Originally Posted by: badbill2 Go to Quoted Post
Sounds like you gotta work on your mash. Don't matter how much, but it does matter what you start with.

Yeah. Got a new batch in the fermenter. Used a kept the mash on a constant temp this time. Hope for a better out come this time."
Offline heeler  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2013 7:42:55 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"
Originally Posted by: phineascoates Go to Quoted Post
There's nothing wrong with the process, and there's no problem with that as long as you contain the good fermentation. Also, make sure you have got the good process good method so that what ever happen there's nothing wrong. However, always make a sample taste of your process.

Sir, could plz clarify what all that means........sorry I'm abit slow."