logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Leaddog97  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 08, 2012 1:57:43 PM(UTC)
Leaddog97

Groups: Registered

I have tried a couple of different wood chips for aging in glass. Some nice toasted chips from Brehaus and some JD wood chips for smokers, both worked well. I just bought some Apple wood chips form a grilling store. Is that good for flavoring? should they be toasted also?
Offline Outland  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 08, 2012 2:18:29 PM(UTC)
Outland

Dunno yet, I have a small apple orchard...cut down some recently dead trees, cut some tiny and toasted it.....been in some 40% corn for a week and a half. Will start tasting after a month (compared to oak put down at same time from same batch.

The great thing about this process is that, if its crap, toss it back into the boiler :)
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 08, 2012 2:34:34 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

I have piddled with the apple chips a few times back when I was an industrious whiskey maker. I tend to put a few handfuls in the turky fryer perforated basket and flip them around on the side burner of the gas grill. Char em up and dry them out a little. Notice when used alone that impart a fairly good flavor but it turns the hooch solid yellow. They work very well in concert with the other two chip varieties you mentioned. Adds another little dimension I think. Sure there is other ways to handle them of course. Keep us informed. Thanks.
Offline heeler  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 09, 2012 1:28:30 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Guys, if you would kindly keep good records...you know like likker amounts, wood product amounts and the like. The combo of wood and charcoal -- time spent in the jug - the size of the jugs. All that good stuff so we can all learn from the ones that work and are great and the ones that did'nt comeout so good. Thanks in advance for your patience an understanding.:)
#5 Posted : Monday, July 09, 2012 8:36:44 AM(UTC)

Wow..I was taught this principle for a good while. A short pencil is a lot better than a long memory. Great point. Unfortunately I dont follow training procedures very well. I got memorized what I did back before getting smartened up and to love white whiskey...its easy..just like trying to learn how to like buttermilk..beer..scotch..whiskey..cigarettes etc. Just got to make up your mind to like it. Prevents a lot of aggravation..errant wood chips clinging to the tonsils etc.
Offline Leaddog97  
#6 Posted : Monday, July 09, 2012 9:17:03 AM(UTC)
Leaddog97

"I was hoping to find some combination of Apple chips and toasted Oak chips that would make something tasty.

I have no memory, so I have to write everything down. I think that may be part of getting old.

Is there any other wood you can flavor with? Sassafrass? Cherry?"
#7 Posted : Monday, July 09, 2012 10:09:39 AM(UTC)

Hmmm...according to my charts sassafras would make it taste like root beer. So if you like that flavor give it a try. Little cherry prob could not hurt it. A little of the dark toastie store bought oak chips go a long way. My standarized bourbon forumla went like this..at the risk of being redundant..as best as I can remember. Quart jar. Half scant handful toasted apple chips..scant half handful Jack Daniels chips. Quarter teaspoon Cosby Baker dark toast Oak chips. One medium small chunk boiled and dried lump charcoal. Ozark Oak is my favorite. Put it in the jug cover with hooch and attach the lid. When it gets brown enough to suit start drinking whilst deftly moving it in and out of the freezer and burping the lid each day. When it starts looking slim..add more hooch. If it takes too long to change color add some more chips. Hope this helps.
Offline Leaddog97  
#8 Posted : Monday, July 09, 2012 11:53:25 AM(UTC)
Leaddog97

"I haven't gotten the cash together to buy an oak barrel yet. I'm still having too much fun modifing the mash bills, aging/flavoring the product, playing with the fermenting process, and changing the still setup.

I will let you all know how the apple/oak chips works out for me.

Thanks for the info."
Offline American-Oak-Barrel  
#9 Posted : Friday, April 08, 2016 6:00:26 AM(UTC)
American-Oak-Barrel

Woman

Don't worry I also faced many problems in the beginning but Now I am expert in ageing beer,
I recently purchased world's finest quality hand made American Oak barrel at very cheap rates and very satisfied.
Use this oak barrel for best results.
http://www.sofiasfindings.com/product-category/american-oak-barrel/
Offline CalHiTower  
#10 Posted : Friday, April 08, 2016 6:20:14 PM(UTC)
CalHiTower

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I use an oak barrel like that for dispensing hooch...usually a blend of rye and corn whiskey. Sometimes I blend some sour mash (using sweet feed and back set)...most all is aged about 3-4 months in glass, separately, then put in the barrel for dispensing or bottling. The barrel blend changes with each new batch. It gets very interesting and the flavors are good. I usually use a product called Swisher (I think) medium and dark for extra flavoring and color.

Mostly I make gin for the wife...using a basket on top of the reflux/pot combo still...

I don't drink as much whisky as I used to...just getting old, I guess.I still love the process though...

Cal