logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline danmiz  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 29, 2012 1:20:19 PM(UTC)
danmiz

Groups: Registered

hi all im dan and i new to the world of distilling and am every excited about my new hobby. i just bought an easy still because i figured i needed a very basic still to learn the basics of distillation and also i live in a very small apartment to the city and i dont have an outside option for a still. ive been reading every forum i can the last 2 weeks while i waited for my ES to arrive and now my wash to finish. i have a couple of questions that im not a 100% on after searching the forums for the answers. thanks for any help in advance. my wash was a basic sugar wash consisting of 17Lbs of sugar, 5 gallons of water, and turbo 48 yeast. tomorrow is day 7 of the ferment and i was wondering if its time to add my sparkolloid? if someone can give me step by step directions on adding it and how long i have to wait to run a batch i would appreciate it. my other question is what still would be the logical next step up for an apartment deweller that is small enough for a small apartment. thanks all!
#2 Posted : Friday, June 29, 2012 1:38:15 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Hearty welcome Sir. I aint never met a sparkoloid. Guessing it some kind of evil plan to separate yups from the plastic. The only folks I have heard even remotely claim Turbo Yeast is a good plan is coming from the smart rich folks who peddle the stuff. Best of fortunes to you. Its a real fun hobby..short but steep learning curve. You are learning fast. Now did get one positive report on Likker quick. I just cant figger out if that is the same genus and phylum etc. Dont bees no steeken lurker.
Offline danmiz  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 29, 2012 1:54:40 PM(UTC)
danmiz

ok. thanks, i guess.
#4 Posted : Friday, June 29, 2012 2:09:44 PM(UTC)

Well your mighty welcome I guess...lol. Hang around it bound to get mo betta.
Offline LWTCS  
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 30, 2012 2:02:38 AM(UTC)
LWTCS

"Did you take an SG measurement? Is the wash finished?

Taste it (gak,,,don't swallow). Is it sweet or dry like dry wine?

You'll be better going with 10 pounds of sugar and half the turbo....
You need a better recipe.....All in due time.
Cheers
Larry"
Offline danmiz  
#6 Posted : Saturday, June 30, 2012 3:33:27 AM(UTC)
danmiz

"thanks for response. i will try a new recipe next time. i just followed the instructions on the turbo yeast package this time. i did a sg and it was at 1.010. any idea how many more days i have to wait? mondays my day off for the next week and my only chance to get it run through.
thanks again"
Offline muadib2001  
#7 Posted : Saturday, June 30, 2012 3:59:38 AM(UTC)
muadib2001

Originally Posted by: danmiz Go to Quoted Post
i did a sg and it was at 1.010.

Did you mean 1.1?
Offline danmiz  
#8 Posted : Saturday, June 30, 2012 4:16:44 AM(UTC)
danmiz

Unfortunately I didn't take a reading before adding yeast only on day 6 of ferment. It was 1.010 on day 6. Hope this help answer my question.
Offline muadib2001  
#9 Posted : Saturday, June 30, 2012 4:44:34 AM(UTC)
muadib2001

With 17 lbs of sugar in 5 gallons of water, you should have ended up with ~6.25 gallons of wash and a starting SG of 1.124.

With 17 lbs of sugar in total wash volume of 5 gallons, your starting SG would have been 1.155.

With your SG at day 6 of 1.01, I'd say you're pretty close to done. I have not used Sparkolloid. I just wait for the yeast to cease all activity and let it settle out.

The one thing that is the hardest to learn in this hobby is patience.
#10 Posted : Saturday, June 30, 2012 6:30:35 AM(UTC)

I thought that stuff was advertised to be ready to run in two days. Cant imagine why it need to go any longer. Got to be some real light body stuff. I would be tempted to run it on through. Save the sparkoloid for a rainy day etc. Just trying to cover all the bases here. I always take the thrifty Scotsman..lazy fat boy option first. Pick up the pieces later if it no worky. The best laid plans of mice and men ofttimes go awry ya know?
Offline Bushy  
#11 Posted : Saturday, June 30, 2012 2:47:46 PM(UTC)
Bushy

"Use 1 tsp. sparkaloid, add to 1 cup of boiling water and simmer for 20 minutes. Add slowly to wash while stirring it in. Try not to airiate the wash by stirring to hard or to long. Put the lid back on the fermentor and place in the coolest place available to settle. Should settle noticably in 24 hours and completely in 3 days.
Have Fun"
Offline danmiz  
#12 Posted : Saturday, June 30, 2012 4:07:23 PM(UTC)
danmiz

Thanks for all the replies, they were helpful. I will give it a run in a day or so and learn from all my mistakes. That's half the fun.
Offline danmiz  
#13 Posted : Saturday, June 30, 2012 4:11:10 PM(UTC)
danmiz

Thanks bushy. When using sparkolloid sholud I use one tsp or one tab per gallon?
Offline Bruno2888  
#14 Posted : Saturday, June 30, 2012 11:13:44 PM(UTC)
Bruno2888

Hello sounds like your wash came out good but the two stage clearing agents are much more easy and a lot better than sparkloid I bought 2larg saks of the stuff used it twice and went with the two stage
Offline Bushy  
#15 Posted : Sunday, July 01, 2012 8:57:09 AM(UTC)
Bushy

"Use 1 teaspoon /gallon. Some people like it some don't, it works great for me.
Having the wash in a cold environment only will help settle it out, but with the sparkolloid it settles out faster. After the ferment is done I wait a day or two, rack the wash off the traub and use the sparkolloid.
Have fun"
#16 Posted : Sunday, July 01, 2012 9:00:50 AM(UTC)

What is the game plan to want it to clear up so much? Only reason I can come up with is somebody might be scared of some chunky substance sticking to the bottom of the boiler. What am I missing here? Thanks.
Offline danmiz  
#17 Posted : Sunday, July 01, 2012 5:31:27 PM(UTC)
danmiz

"thanks all for info. big wheel if i follow you youre saying dont worry about using it if my wash is not chunky dont worry bout it.
thanks!"
#18 Posted : Sunday, July 01, 2012 6:14:02 PM(UTC)

Yeah thats the ticket yeah...if somebody got a better reason to be so picky on the clarity issue it would be nice to hear it. Everybody likes to learn new things. Its what a person learns after they know it all..is what counts. Seen that in print somewhere..bound to be right. lol. Now if a person is trying to clone Lafeet Rothchilds 56 fine yup vino would seem plausible to worry about such otherwise mundane topics. Its over my head apparently.
Offline Bushy  
#19 Posted : Monday, July 02, 2012 4:15:36 AM(UTC)
Bushy

Hi BW, I like to get my wash as clear as I can for two reasons. 1) if you cook yeast traub it can give you an off flavor because yeast gives off nasty stuff as it gets too hot and dies and I like a clean flavor. This is more important when your in Pot mode. 2) Having all that sediment in your boil increases the possibility of scorching it in the pot which causes another flavor problem but also a cleaning chore. Call me picky, but I had that problem once with a pumpkin mash and that made a believer out of me.
#20 Posted : Monday, July 02, 2012 4:57:20 AM(UTC)

Ok that sounds plausible. Never had those issues as far as can be recalled. Guess I been fortunate. Thanks.