logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline more than I can drink  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 04, 2012 2:59:25 PM(UTC)
more than I can drink

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
"Want to share an easy wine recipe using Concord grape juice from Costco, maybe someone will want to enjoy this tasty wine or even try distilling it.

I put four bottles 2.84 litters in a bucket.

Add sugar to your desired alcohol content.

4 tsp Nutrient.

1 pkg Lalvin RC212.

Open the bottles, pour into clean bucket, and then add sugar. No need for campden crush or pectic enzyme. I don"t like wines that are high in acid so I don"t add any.

I have taken this wine up to as high as 16%, and it"s great. I then activate and add the yeast. 24 hours to 36 hours I add the nutrient. The delay in adding the nutrient allows the yeast to reproduce and grow slower at first, giving it better protein making it healthier and stronger. Better protein in yeast helps it to survive in a high alcohol wash. This will help you if you ever had a stuck wash that seemed to slow or almost stop near the end of the fermenting.

Let the fermenting finish, 3 to 4 weeks, rack and let it clear. This is very smooth without adding acid, if you like the sting on the pallet then add the acid. I like this wine strong and on the sweet side, not super sweet but not dry.

I know my yeast and it will kill it"s self-off at around 16%. I try to add a bit more sugar so when the yeast dies there is some sugar left behind. It"s easier than it sounds.

This wine is great young and super good after it ages."
Offline hawkeyewanabe  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 05, 2012 9:13:15 AM(UTC)
hawkeyewanabe

I did something pretty similar (made the grape juice out of concentrate rather then buying the bottles.) The wine was just o.k, but the brandy I made from it was better.BigGrin
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 05, 2012 11:46:42 AM(UTC)
more than I can drink

"Bigwheel, I"m so cheap I squeak. If I"m lucky enough to buy something, I check the flyers for a month to see if it has come on sale, looking for the return on the difference in price.

I can make my favorite wine for under $2 a bottle.

Cheap or broke, call me both; it won"t be the first time."
Offline scotty  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 06, 2012 12:36:29 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

i do concord from frozen welches often. now the frozen un preserved juices are hard to find.
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 06, 2012 11:38:45 AM(UTC)
more than I can drink

"
Quote:
The big boys would not be so bold to try it.

bigwheeler, what is meant here.

Costco"s Concord grape juice is not preserved, but pasteurized!"
Offline scotty  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 06, 2012 12:44:45 PM(UTC)
scotty

"
Originally Posted by: bigwheel Go to Quoted Post
Not sure where a person could buy unpreserved juice unless off individuals or maybe a mom n pop juicing mill. The big boys would not be so bold to try it.

Frozen welches [SIZE=""4""]100%[/SIZE] has no preservatives"
Offline scotty  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 06, 2012 10:51:05 PM(UTC)
scotty

"
Originally Posted by: bigwheel Go to Quoted Post
Ok gotcha. Thanks. I was considering pasteurization/heat treatment as a form of preservation for some reason. Glad to know they dont put any chemical preservatives in the Welches.

We cant find it in the markets for some time now and the other super store that folks just mentioned is 70 miles to the nearest one."
Offline dasorge  
#8 Posted : Monday, September 03, 2012 6:14:16 AM(UTC)
dasorge

"Which wine(s) work best for this? I was wondering about getting some store bought wine and just putting it in the still and running it. What does the added sugar do in the fermenting stage?

Originally Posted by: more than I can drink Go to Quoted Post
Want to share an easy wine recipe using Concord grape juice from Costco, maybe someone will want to enjoy this tasty wine or even try distilling it.

I put four bottles 2.84 litters in a bucket.

Add sugar to your desired alcohol content.

4 tsp Nutrient.

1 pkg Lalvin RC212.

Open the bottles, pour into clean bucket, and then add sugar. No need for campden crush or pectic enzyme. I don"t like wines that are high in acid so I don"t add any.

I have taken this wine up to as high as 16%, and it"s great. I then activate and add the yeast. 24 hours to 36 hours I add the nutrient. The delay in adding the nutrient allows the yeast to reproduce and grow slower at first, giving it better protein making it healthier and stronger. Better protein in yeast helps it to survive in a high alcohol wash. This will help you if you ever had a stuck wash that seemed to slow or almost stop near the end of the fermenting.

Let the fermenting finish, 3 to 4 weeks, rack and let it clear. This is very smooth without adding acid, if you like the sting on the pallet then add the acid. I like this wine strong and on the sweet side, not super sweet but not dry.

I know my yeast and it will kill it"s self-off at around 16%. I try to add a bit more sugar so when the yeast dies there is some sugar left behind. It"s easier than it sounds.

This wine is great young and super good after it ages.
"
Offline MDH  
#9 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2012 8:03:54 AM(UTC)
MDH

I have tried a Grappa in New York City made mostly from Concord grapes. The stem and skin tend to add a green apple and wood note to the predominantly strawberry-violet like flavor of concord grapes.
Offline Sherkotoee  
#10 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2013 10:14:10 PM(UTC)
Sherkotoee

"Hi everyone,
Concord grapes are the most popularly planted native American grapes.... Early colonists embraced them, harvested them, and used them to make wines, jellies, jams, and tarts.... They were the first of the native vines from which cuttings were planted to form vineyards.... A variety of Vitis Labrusca, the Concord Grape is resistant to many of the diseases which destroy the European grape, Vitis Vinifera; they were the first onto which Vinifera cuttings were grafted to combat insects and disease and the first to be successfully cross-pollenated with European stock to produce hybrids.... Most notable of these hybrids are French-American, but crossings were also made with German, Spanish, Portugese, Lowlands, and Baltic grapes.... The resulting vines are hardy and produce good yields. Concord Locksmith"