logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline tbird  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 31, 2012 2:38:55 PM(UTC)
tbird

Groups: Registered

"I am building my first still. It is a Valved Reflux and I have a question about packing. Some distillers use stainless steel scouring pads to pack the column and I was wondering if one could use stainless steel wool to do the same. It is available in course, medium or fine. This material is primarily used to stuff custom motorcycle or auto mufflers and comes usually on rolls 4"" wide and 18' or so long. I was just wondering if this might be acceptable providing it is not packed too tight.

tbird"
Offline Bayou-Ruler  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 31, 2012 3:50:03 PM(UTC)
Bayou-Ruler

Man
United States

"
Originally Posted by: tbird Go to Quoted Post
I am building my first still. It is a Valved Reflux and I have a question about packing. Some distillers use stainless steel scouring pads to pack the column and I was wondering if one could use stainless steel wool to do the same. It is available in course, medium or fine. This material is primarily used to stuff custom motorcycle or auto mufflers and comes usually on rolls 4"" wide and 18' or so long. I was just wondering if this might be acceptable providing it is not packed too tight.

tbird

As long as its pure stainless and not some type of plated mesh it will work. BUT if you intend to drink your ethanol you should used copper packing. Copper is needed in the vapor path to remove sulfides from the ethanol vapor."
Bayou Ethanol
AFP-LA-15027
www.bayouethanol.com
#3 Posted : Friday, June 01, 2012 11:08:33 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

I am jumping to the wild conclusion the young man in question is building the hooch maker out of copper. If so..think it would work just fine to stuff it with SS scrubbers. Now if it being constructed of SS would vote for copper scrubbers..and take all the previous stuff back of course.
Offline tbird  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 01, 2012 12:32:07 PM(UTC)
tbird

"My question was really a query whether the stainless wool would be too dense for proper flow through the column. I am new to this forum and distilling so I guess I should have included that the original design of this device calls for ceramic Raschig rings. After I am with this for a while I will get a better feel for communicating on the subject.

I appreciate the answers. BTW, the device will be used for fuel and entertainment purposes. Wink"
#5 Posted : Friday, June 01, 2012 12:57:10 PM(UTC)

Ok the Rachling Rings thing is a attempt to peddle Rachlings rings. Like the man say you need some copper in the path of the distillate. I know the design seems like. The slow pokey plumber is supposed to be making me one since I aint mechanical minded. Glad he works cheap and has a scrap pile of copper which all that was needed was to snag a short run of three inch copper for the condenser shroud. Not sure about the density of the SS scrubbers. I have a roll of the copper chain mail stuff which was leftover from the real still aka the three inch Brewhaus Model. Best of fortunes on the deal.
Offline Bayou-Ruler  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 01, 2012 3:48:52 PM(UTC)
Bayou-Ruler

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: tbird Go to Quoted Post
My question was really a query whether the stainless wool would be too dense for proper flow through the column. I am new to this forum and distilling so I guess I should have included that the original design of this device calls for ceramic Raschig rings. After I am with this for a while I will get a better feel for communicating on the subject.

I appreciate the answers. BTW, the device will be used for fuel and entertainment purposes. Wink

Well I have never heard of anyone using stainless steel wool. If you have the wool readily available to you give it a try, my only concern other than making sure its pure stainless and not some sort of plated material would be that it would be too dense and not provide enough surface area for proper reflux.
Bayou Ethanol
AFP-LA-15027
www.bayouethanol.com
Offline scotty  
#7 Posted : Saturday, June 02, 2012 9:49:54 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

copper mesh is a few times more effective than raschig rings. again in makin vodka we want many times re distillings to occur in the column.-- some copper is suposed to remove sulpher in any type of distillation so even in the pot mode some copper is still wanted. :)
#8 Posted : Sunday, June 03, 2012 9:03:00 AM(UTC)

Hey thanks knew in my heart them Rachling Rings was a scam looking for a victim. What are we going for on the vodka? Tasteless perhaps? What could Vodka essense do for a good neutral? Some of this stuff is puzzling. I figger that vodka essense is a small jug of heads or something.
Offline scotty  
#9 Posted : Sunday, June 03, 2012 10:45:45 AM(UTC)
scotty

"
Originally Posted by: bigwheel Go to Quoted Post
Hey thanks knew in my heart them Rachling Rings was a scam looking for a victim. What are we going for on the vodka? Tasteless perhaps? What could Vodka essense do for a good neutral? Some of this stuff is puzzling. I figger that vodka essense is a small jug of heads or something.

Yeah--Vodka essence sounds like baloney too. Its good to talk about these things. HMMM maybe ill package some essence of water $$$$$$$$$$BigGrin"
#10 Posted : Sunday, June 03, 2012 6:42:17 PM(UTC)

Highly smart thinking in my book Sir. When you start making a few bucks me and the Warden can move into the servants quarters. I am a good bartender..butler..hit man etc. We can let her do the driving and cooking..maybe get her one of the maid uniforms. She makes fried chicken nearly as good as my Mama made it. Her beans are better..but sadly she is not functional on scratch made corn bread. She think it come from a package which say Betty Crocker on the outside. I apologize profusely on that short coming. Fortunately I can handle that chore. My Mama taught me how to make it at an early age. Kindly let us know thanks.
Offline scotty  
#11 Posted : Sunday, June 03, 2012 11:37:19 PM(UTC)
scotty

"
Highly smart thinking in my book Sir. When you start making a few bucks me and the Warden can move into the servants quarters. I am a good bartender..butler..hit man etc. We can let her do the driving and cooking..maybe get her one of the maid uniforms. She makes fried chicken nearly as good as my Mama made it. Her beans are better..but sadly she is not functional on scratch made corn bread. She think it come from a package which say Betty Crocker on the outside. I apologize profusely on that short coming. Fortunately I can handle that chore. My Mama taught me how to make it at an early age. Kindly let us know thanks.

ok what shal we call the water company??"
#12 Posted : Monday, June 04, 2012 7:50:59 AM(UTC)

Well I have been giving this a lot of thought. Believe it would be best to leave the options open in case you wanted to expand the line to include all types of Essences other than just water. Diversity is the key. I like this one.."Beam Us Up some Essences Scotty." Or something like that. Tell me what you think.
Offline scotty  
#13 Posted : Monday, June 04, 2012 8:58:25 AM(UTC)
scotty

"
Well I have been giving this a lot of thought. Believe it would be best to leave the options open in case you wanted to expand the line to include all types of Essences other than just water. Diversity is the key. I like this one..""Beam Us Up some Essences Scotty."" Or something like that. Tell me what you think.

Actually i dont think thought is really in this conversationOhMyGod"
Offline lazy laz  
#14 Posted : Monday, June 04, 2012 1:16:36 PM(UTC)
lazy laz

"guys when I ordered my PSII HC, Smiley from Canada sent me 5 bags ceramic rings and tossed in a roll of copper packing. he told me to use both at same time. where do i put the copper top or bottom and how much.

Thanks Smiley.

have a look at his site. he is a good guy. great customer service.

http://www.home-distilling.com/...tilling-Supplies-c40.htm"
#15 Posted : Monday, June 04, 2012 2:51:31 PM(UTC)

If your gizmo is built like mine the rings could only go in the bottom segment of the tower cuz that the only place they wouldnt fall out. Would guess the copper goes in the top section. Im all copper packing and the general game plan is to roll it to where it fits snug enough to where it dont fall out but not overly aggressive snug either. Dont want any blockage. Think my rulebook said about 15 feet on a 3 inch column. You sorta got to roll it up and eyeball it. I have two plugs top and two plugs bottom. That stuff can be cut with scissors but it sure makes a mess in the house with little copper dingleberries flying every whichaway. Not real popular if you happen to have a house mouse. Might want to cut it outside.
Offline tikisteve  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, June 05, 2012 9:55:28 AM(UTC)
tikisteve

"Put enough ceramic rings in the bottom of your pot, enough to cover the whole bottom. It helps the wash or mash from creating large bubbles during the boiling process and breaks them down in to smaller ones. They also protect the bottom of your pot from scorching.
Cheers!"
#17 Posted : Tuesday, June 05, 2012 12:30:48 PM(UTC)

Now who can afford a bank loan to buy all them Rachling Rings? Prez Osama has not got around to stimulating us yet. You sure it wouldnt be ok to just throw the little mystery chain down in there? Thanks.
Offline tikisteve  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, June 06, 2012 9:59:06 AM(UTC)
tikisteve

1/2 a liter bag isn't that much and they will last a life time.:)
#19 Posted : Wednesday, June 06, 2012 11:07:44 AM(UTC)

Ok gotcha..however much is a liter. About like a quart in Americka right? I was figgering they need to be poured in there an inch deep or so. Now when it come time to dump the backset how do you fish them out of the boiler? Enquiring minds need to know this kinda stuff. Thanks.
Offline tikisteve  
#20 Posted : Thursday, June 07, 2012 10:06:27 AM(UTC)
tikisteve

I pour it all out into a metal spaghetti strainer then rinse in hot water and let then soak in the sink over night. I had the standard kettle at first and it was a pain to get them out, but when I got the premium kettle, all was easy.