logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline muadib2001  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2012 4:47:04 AM(UTC)
muadib2001

Groups: Registered

Full recipe for UJSM is here: http://wiki.homedistiller.org/i..._Simple_Sour_Mash_Method

Uncle Jesse calls for:

• 5 gallons soft, filtered water.
  • 7 lbs (3.2kg) cracked corn. 6-8 pieces/kernel is the proper crack. If using bird feed, make sure it is perishable, or in other words is free of preservatives.
  • 7 lbs (3.2kg) of granulated sugar.
  • 1 tbsp yeast (distillers yeast if available.)
Yeast nutrients are not mentioned in the recipe. Does the corn provide them and additional nutrients are not needed?

Could I pour 3 gallons of boiling water on the corn and let it sit (covered) until the temperature dropped to pitching temperature? Would I be risking infection?

Muadib
Offline heeler  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2012 5:40:22 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"Yes you can...and in fact if you pour that water over the sugar and the grain you kill two birds with one shot so to speak. That will invert your sugar and also start the mashing process for the grain. If the water is boiling and everything is clean you can rest assured that no infection will leave in that invironment. Take your 2 gallons of boiling water and pour it in your fermenter with the grain and sugar cover it and wait 1 hour (60 minutes is pretty standard timespan for mashing) then top off with the garden hose or kitchen sink that should bring it down to temp but if it does'nt give it a little while longer and it should be ready to pitch your yeast. That works for me anyway. I take the garden hose and blast it in there to top it off and that also areates the wort. Again that seems to work for me.
On the HD site they look for every way to save on the price of a recipe so not mentioning nutrients was on purpose for sure, if you have them add them it will only help the process."
Offline Fusefinder  
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 21, 2012 8:14:33 AM(UTC)
Fusefinder

"Just finished my 1st gen run...a few questions: I siphoned down to the corn but didn't draw much if any liquid from the bottom (bottom 2 gallons of 7.9 gallon bucket) I added 2 gallons water while I distilled mash...

1) Do I need to add more yeast or use what was left in/on the corn for 2nd gen batch?
2) On my 2nd gen run (When ready to distill) do I add tails and such or throw them into a carboy and run once thats full?
Thanks"
Offline Fusefinder  
#4 Posted : Saturday, July 21, 2012 11:40:40 AM(UTC)
Fusefinder

"I used how backset directly to new sugar, added the tomato paste and vitamins (not sure if its needed but its cheep and prolly cant hurt). Used the wifes hand mixer to aerate. Mixed water and a little ice to get down to 85 deg then added to old wash + 2 gallon of water from previous post. Hand mixed again and covered...
I figure if it doesn't take off the maybe pitch a little yeast, last batch went 9 days start to when I could run it, guess I'll know more tomorrow."
Offline Fusefinder  
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 22, 2012 3:46:42 AM(UTC)
Fusefinder

"The yeasties seem to be very happy today...This type of wash is a first for me I always assumed the yeast died when bubbling stopped not just went dormant.

As far as the tails go I was thinking keeping them and trying to do a solo run with them as the collection builds up...some of the early tails I collect I have found to add a bit of flavor/character to the product. But those are the ones where there is just a hint of off smell and the taste is OK."
Offline fatboylo  
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 22, 2012 5:16:40 AM(UTC)
fatboylo

I always throw my tails back in the next pot...........seems to hold a bit longer around the 170 range......BigGrin
Offline Fusefinder  
#7 Posted : Sunday, July 22, 2012 6:39:57 AM(UTC)
Fusefinder

"I have been collecting my tails for a few runs now, up to this point I have kept them in a gallon glass jar in the basement fridge. I have out grown the gallon jar and a friend gave me a glass carboy.
My question is do the tails need to be kept cool or will a 68-75 degree basement do just fine with a sealing plug or should I use a bubble cap?
Thanks"
Offline fatboylo  
#8 Posted : Sunday, July 22, 2012 7:03:50 AM(UTC)
fatboylo

I don't fridge mine...........once that lid is on there it ain't going nowhere!!!!!!!:)
Offline Fusefinder  
#9 Posted : Monday, July 23, 2012 6:36:38 AM(UTC)
Fusefinder

"Question for BigWheel:
1) Do you run your cornmeal through a stripping run the Spirit run or a slow and easy single run, I was kinda thinking I read where you did only single run or at least used to.
2) I have done slow single runs (Rum) with both halves of PSII high cap without a drop of water inthe column and they came out great!
3) I sampled a bit of the UJSM (first gen) from the stripping run after tossing heads and tails... a whole lot of tails, still has an off taste and not smooth at all
4) Does the 2nd gen get better or will these hearts help?"
Offline fatboylo  
#10 Posted : Friday, November 09, 2012 12:22:17 PM(UTC)
fatboylo

Originally Posted by: heeler Go to Quoted Post
Yes you can...and in fact if you pour that water over the sugar and the grain you kill two birds with one shot so to speak. That will invert your sugar and also start the mashing process for the grain. If the water is boiling and everything is clean you can rest assured that no infection will leave in that invironment. Take your 2 gallons of boiling water and pour it in your fermenter with the grain and sugar cover it and wait 1 hour (60 minutes is pretty standard timespan for mashing) then top off with the garden hose or kitchen sink that should bring it down to temp but if it does'nt give it a little while longer and it should be ready to pitch your yeast. That works for me anyway. I take the garden hose and blast it in there to top it off and that also areates the wort. Again that seems to work for me.
On the HD site they look for every way to save on the price of a recipe so not mentioning nutrients was on purpose for sure, if you have them add them it will only help the process.

Heeler, can you tell me more about this recipe? In particular the cracked corn. Where would one find cracked corn and is there a name brand better then others. Have always used sugar and molasses but have been courious about using corn. I hear folks talking about bird feed and sweet feed, what exactly are they referring to!
Offline muadib2001  
#11 Posted : Friday, November 09, 2012 2:11:57 PM(UTC)
muadib2001

Originally Posted by: fatboylo Go to Quoted Post
In particular the cracked corn. Where would one find cracked corn and is there a name brand better then others.

I got 50# of cracked corn at the local feed store. About $12.50. And no, I don't live out in the country. Just make sure it's only cracked corn, no preservatives (they called it "corn chops". Confused).

You should be able to get sweet feed at the same location. It should be a mixture of oats, corn & barley, with molasses as a binder. Just make sure they don't add anything else to the mixture (preservatives, etc, which might interfere with the yeast).
Offline Farmin in the woods  
#12 Posted : Friday, November 09, 2012 6:41:34 PM(UTC)
Farmin in the woods

I understand the # 1 thing to be sure of is if it is antibiotic free. I told the guy at the feed store the feed was for my dads chickens and he ate the eggs, so I didnt get a funny look when I asked about it.
Regards,
Farmin
Offline heeler  
#13 Posted : Friday, November 09, 2012 10:14:19 PM(UTC)
heeler

"
Originally Posted by: fatboylo Go to Quoted Post
Heeler, can you tell me more about this recipe? In particular the cracked corn. Where would one find cracked corn and is there a name brand better then others. Have always used sugar and molasses but have been courious about using corn. I hear folks talking about bird feed and sweet feed, what exactly are they referring to!

A feed store is the answer to find all of those....we also have a store called Tractor Supply that sells that kinda thing. I bet Wally World sells it too. Cracked corn is just chicken scratch feed - its corn kernels that have been broken or cracked if you will. Now as far as using it in this recipe, its there to add a bit of flavor and the sugar is really the etoh. I've heard of folks using Rye grass seed --think about it???? (Rye Whiskey)!
Those recipes are really easy because we are not really getting into the whole grain mashing thing its just flavor removal added to the sugar head likker. I remember reading that someone was only using corn meal and sugar for his recipe and thats because he liked the corn flavor, the sugar was the alcohol and it was easy to make it that way. I'm not knocking these easy recipes at all so give em all a try I bet you will too.
Oh and sweetfeed is just horse feed that has -corn,oats,mollasass,and other things that are good for animal nutrition, its the mollassas that give us what we are after in the flavor department. You still want to add 8-10# of sugar."
Offline fatboylo  
#14 Posted : Saturday, November 10, 2012 2:18:47 AM(UTC)
fatboylo

"
Originally Posted by: heeler Go to Quoted Post
A feed store is the answer to find all of those....we also have a store called Tractor Supply that sells that kinda thing. I bet Wally World sells it too. Cracked corn is just chicken scratch feed - its corn kernels that have been broken or cracked if you will. Now as far as using it in this recipe, its there to add a bit of flavor and the sugar is really the etoh. I've heard of folks using Rye grass seed --think about it???? (Rye Whiskey)!
Those recipes are really easy because we are not really getting into the whole grain mashing thing its just flavor removal added to the sugar head likker. I remember reading that someone was only using corn meal and sugar for his recipe and thats because he liked the corn flavor, the sugar was the alcohol and it was easy to make it that way. I'm not knocking these easy recipes at all so give em all a try I bet you will too.
Oh and sweetfeed is just horse feed that has -corn,oats,mollasass,and other things that are good for animal nutrition, its the mollassas that give us what we are after in the flavor department. You still want to add 8-10# of sugar.

Thx Heeler, was reading these different types but was having a hard time wrapping my head around putting horse feed in somethhing I was gonna drink. lol Yep I'm gonna try some. Winters setting in up here in the Mtns and be a good excuse to stay inside! Thz again."
Offline heeler  
#15 Posted : Saturday, November 10, 2012 12:51:44 PM(UTC)
heeler

"You got it.....what I have done is, I bought a 50 lb bag of horse feed (sweet feed) and I keep it in my outside freezer. When I want some I just scoop out what I want and put it back in the freezer. It will prolly stay fresh for years. I did'nt buy the most expensive but the one with grains and molassess for the good hoochy flavor.
The bird seed is another one thats not bad (its called Birdwatchers) the bird seed gives it a very light seedy flavor and its not bad either ( any birdseed will do)

Also the cracked corn is just the same, its a 25lb bag and I also keep that in the fridge. I think most feed stores will sell that by the pound in little sack. Or go with the corn meal from the grocery store, that works too. Again all these things are to add the different flavor nuances and the sugar is the alcohol."