logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Darth_Baker  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 28, 2012 11:46:13 PM(UTC)
Darth_Baker

Groups: Registered

"Hello All,

Wondering if anyone would mind commenting.

I purchased:
1) Brewhaus Pro series II High Capacity with the 30 Quart Stainless Steel Kettle
2) 1500 Watt Hotplate
3) Second water pump (one for tower, other for condensor)
4) Top bung w/ digital thermometer

Early plans are to practice using a simple sugar wash (ferment : 4.5 Gallons water w/ 18 pounds sugar & Turbo Yeast) and use the unit in ""traditional"" mode.

Would anyone have a play by play document available with their experiences of running a successful batch using this equipment?

Kind of nervous about column temperatures, water flow to condesor and collection of the alcohol.

A) What setting do I put the hot plate to?
B) Is the hotplate setting ever adjusted ?
C) Do I use the Aluminum Diffuser Plate under the pot when on the hotplate?
D) Is the Aluminum Diffuser Plate only for when using on a propane burner?
E) What to expect as far as bringing this up to temperature, signs to look for?
D) How will I know when to turn on the water flow to the condensor?
E) How much of a flow of water do I allow thru the condensor?
F) I see people throwing out 1st 50ml to 125ml of collected, What is best?
G) Any good links to get better ideas as to temperatures and collections?

Thanks in Advance
DB."
Offline Bayou-Ruler  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 29, 2012 12:22:03 AM(UTC)
Bayou-Ruler

Man
United States

Bayou Ethanol
AFP-LA-15027
www.bayouethanol.com
Offline John Barleycorn  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 29, 2012 2:28:27 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"
Originally Posted by: Darth_Baker Go to Quoted Post
4.5 Gallons water w/ 18 pounds sugar & Turbo Yeast) and use the unit in ""traditional"" mode.
Get rid of the Turbo and use less sugar.

My first suggestion would be to get on the HD forum as Bayou recommends and read, read, read. Then do some more reading.

If your goal is a simple neutral, do a few stripping runs with your rig configured as a pot still, then do a spirit run with your strips configured as a reflux. That way you can enjoy the flexibility of your rig. ;-)

Consider making the mods to your hotplate that removes the thermostat and get yourself a power controller. Then run full power for your stripping runs. For your spirit runs, you may be able to drop the power if you insulate your column or if your power controller gives you a good full range of power.

It's not necessary during stripping runs. During a pot spirit run, you'll want to adjust power to control your output rate. During a reflux spirit run, you may want to drop your power, but that will depend on the ability of your hotplate and power controller to drive the column. I've found that my 1500w hotplate just doesn't quite drive the column adequately when I cut in my power controller -- unless the column insulated. The controller I have won't give me enough power (at full power) without the insulation.

I always use the diffuser. I don't know much about metallurgy, but I'm told that aluminum is ""highly conductive"" so it's supposed to do a good job of spreading the heat out across its surface area.

No. aluminum is supposed to spread the heat out, regardless of the heat source. With the small area on your hotplate, you'll want to use the diffuser.

Just watch your temperature closely. I'm a bit paranoid about this, so I typically start my cooling water once the temp gets to about 45 C or thereabouts.

For safety reasons, you don't want any flammable vapors leaving your condenser. Just start the water before this can happen. So too soon is better than too late. With this in mind, there's really no such thing as ""too soon.""

This is a question that has many different answers that depend on many different factors. However, during a stripping run, just run it as fast as you can. The goal is to simply reduce your volume for a subsequent spirit run.

In a reflux spirit run you're asking a religious question. ;-) So folks will tell you 1L/hour. And there are some that might say a few drops/sec. I typically collect 250 mL at a time and I control the output so each 250 mL takes somewhere between 15 and 20 minutes. You'll have to play around with this until you figure out how to get the results YOU want.

That will depend on what you're making and how much you're starting with. For a sugar wash (something like Birdwatcher's or Rad's All Bran) I toss somewhere in the neighborhood of the first 150 mL. The purpose is to discard any of the acetone and/or methanol. Use your nose -- it'll be obvious. Then just be conservative until you become more confident.

In the end, if you collect in multiple jars and make conservative cuts, you won't take the bad stuff from the start of the run anyway.

As per Bayou -- it's all at HD.

Regards,
--JB"
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 29, 2012 4:03:02 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Great advice your getting here. Now assuming your going to be doing some reflux runs at some point..and this will be your sacrificial run to clean the gizmo..might consider fully assembling and doing a reflux run..otherwise your going to need another sacrificial run to clean it out when you add the other segment of the column..clean up all your packing..pipes..hoses etc. I am way too lazy to do this multiple run stuff. If you want a good drinkable vodka type neutral follow Bayous recipe using tomato paste and reflux it once. Cept I like ten pounds of sugar and Distillers Yeast. I think bread yeast is good for making bread..lol. If you have something real flavorful might consider the pot still mode for later. If you learn how to make it reflux..Pot stilling is like falling off of a log. If you do decide to reflux...holler back. Happy extraction to you.

Originally Posted by: Darth_Baker Go to Quoted Post
Hello All,

Wondering if anyone would mind commenting.

I purchased:
1) Brewhaus Pro series II High Capacity with the 30 Quart Stainless Steel Kettle
2) 1500 Watt Hotplate
3) Second water pump (one for tower, other for condensor)
4) Top bung w/ digital thermometer

Early plans are to practice using a simple sugar wash (ferment : 4.5 Gallons water w/ 18 pounds sugar & Turbo Yeast) and use the unit in "traditional" mode.

Would anyone have a play by play document available with their experiences of running a successful batch using this equipment?

Kind of nervous about column temperatures, water flow to condesor and collection of the alcohol.

Thanks in Advance
DB.
Offline John Barleycorn  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 29, 2012 4:30:10 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"
Originally Posted by: John Barleycorn Go to Quoted Post

This is a question that has many different answers that depend on many different factors. However, during a stripping run, just run it as fast as you can. The goal is to simply reduce your volume for a subsequent spirit run.

In a reflux spirit run you're asking a religious question. ;-) So folks will tell you 1L/hour. And there are some that might say a few drops/sec. I typically collect 250 mL at a time and I control the output so each 250 mL takes somewhere between 15 and 20 minutes. You'll have to play around with this until you figure out how to get the results YOU want.
Whoops ... looks like I was answering the question: ""How much flow _out_ of the condenser?"" ... sorry.

I'm assuming you're referring to the product condenser v. the column condenser since you wanted to distill in a pot configuration ... I always run full flow through the product condenser.

--JB"
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 29, 2012 5:25:22 AM(UTC)

Well I hate to be redundant all over again..but us seasoned citizens are prone to do that kinda stuff. I have reached the conclusion those BH Condensers are so efficient not sure they even need water to operate. When my machine gets in the general vicinity of 160-170 it starts puking hooch whether the water is on or off. I crack the ball valve to about the 1/4 open position to the condenser or just enough to keep the distillate sorta coolish. When refluxing I dont give it any water at all till I think it has refluxed long enough to suit. I have settled in on about 30 mins trying to maintain 170 on that deal. With a weak water supply..which I have..that usually leaves enough water left over to concentrate on trying to keep the column temps in range without wasting all the water to needlessly flood the condenser...which prevents having to fiddle with the hotplate heat control very often. For Pot stilling I fiddle with it a bit more to try and get the right flow rate..pencil lead type stream as I was taught..this be in addition to tweaking the heat control much more often.
Offline Darth_Baker  
#7 Posted : Sunday, April 29, 2012 11:56:47 PM(UTC)
Darth_Baker

"Hello All,

Thank You for the advice, definitely have been reading up on this process, and it seems I have lots more reading to do, but if you dont mind a few more questions ? #1) Want to make corrections on my ""wash"" that I stated incorrectly, I purchased : Liquor Quick - Turbo Pure X-Press, instructions say 5.5 Gallons Water and 18 pounds of sugar can ferment up to 18% ABV within 5 days (time will vary with temps). Does anyone feel strongly about adding the sugar in stages? or just all in one shot? (When I make my fruit (apple) wine, I typically sugar to 1.110 which gets me to a 14.74%). #2) If I use 5.5 Gallons of my ""Apple Wine"" with the the Brewhaus HC Pro Series II in Traditional mode (pot still) how many times do I need to run this thru ? and how much finished product should I expect to end up with ? Hoping not to loose too much in this process, it takes me 130 days to make this apple wine.

Again..
Thanks for the input and your time is greatly appreciated.

Best Regards
DB."
#8 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 3:37:19 AM(UTC)

Hey DB..never tried the sugar in stages technique but have heard of folks doing it like that. Maybe somebody who utilizes the strategy will jump in here and speak up. On my hooch maker which is the same as yours and about the same amount of wash with similar ABV it will generally cough up around 2 qts of keepers. Have hit as high as 2.5 and one non typical run with a weak wash it gave back only one quart. Ive only used it in the Pot mode once and got back about the same amount of useable stuff as refluxing i.e. 2qts. Running it once seems like a good plan to me. PS..On the Pot run I also collected about a quart of stinky cloudy tails..which I guess could be incorporated into a future run. Still aint made up my mind on that deal..lol.
Offline heeler  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 02, 2012 2:02:04 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"Darth Baker, when you run this wine wash you speak of, every time you pass it through the cooker you'll loose more of the quantity because your leaving more water behind. Now thats not always a bad thing. And as to how much will you get....with a 14% abv you could get maybe 3.5 quarts. I never push my wash that high and I usually get 2-3quarts to keep and cut. More sugar more ethanol.
If you want the wine flavor in your distillate then dont rerun it cause that'll take away more of the essence of the wine. It sounds like you want a wine flavored hooch.
As for adding sugar in stages...I cant see the real benifit of it but givera try and see if it REALLY makes a difference."
#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 02, 2012 9:59:04 AM(UTC)

Now what are what you running to get 3.5 qts. Do this count the tails? Im jealous and also need your wash recipe..thanks. Now I am a firm believer in the one pass strategy. In fact that 3rd Gen SF through the pot mode sure do taste yummy when you get it chipped up. Sippin on that as we speak. I have about give up on neutrals since I dont know many Ruskie vodka drinkers. The Warden likes a little tater juice and Sprite about twice a year is about it. Woops..dont forget the splash of lime. One drink and she is drunker than a waltzing piss ant..lol. Cheap date.
Offline Darth_Baker  
#11 Posted : Thursday, May 03, 2012 1:53:59 AM(UTC)
Darth_Baker

MY Apple wine recipe I have great success with is simple. This will get you about 5.5 Gallons once all said and done. 12 Pounds of cored apples "pulsed in my blender" (skins on), 4 Gallons of warm water, 12 Pounds of sugar (until SG = 1.110), 1 thinly sliced lemon (peel, seeds and all), 30 drops of liquid pectic enzyme (to help the apples release their juices), 3 Table spoons "Yeast Energizer", 2 Tea spoons "Acid Blend" , 5 campden tablets (crushed and dissolved in 1/4 cup warm water) small amount of liquid Tannin (dont use tannin if you are making just a wash), lastly 1 packet of favorite yeast. All in a fermentation bucket. For the wine I would rack once SG = 1.040 and put in glass carboys,Then rack again in 10 days, 30 days later I would rack again, Let sit until the 120 day mark Rack a third time and test and adjust acidity, measure SG (hopefully it's .990 - .992 ish), Put back into clean carboy for 10 more days, then bottle up.. But to be honest, If I were to experiment with using this as a wash (probably will, knowing my wine is good as it is now, and I can do a wash in 10-12 days using the liquirQuick yeast, VS. using my 5.5 gallons of good wine that took 130 days and has been improving on the shelf), I would Ferment the batch using a 1oz wine yeast from Start SG of 1.110 until I reach the SG of 1.040 (usually 6-7 Days), Then I would strain out the apples, and add the Liquor Quick yeast and ferment until its done, then call it my wash, following the initial step allows the pectic enzyme to have time to make the apples release all their juices. I am hoping this will produce a nice "Apple Jack" type whiskey. Sorry for the long post, But if anyone wants any of my successful wine recipes just ping me directly and I will be more than to ship out to you in a PDf or word document (if it's allowed ??) Thanks for all your help with advice, and If I can give back to this group, I will try. Best regards DB.
#12 Posted : Thursday, May 03, 2012 6:51:03 AM(UTC)

Sounds good thanks for sharing. You ever experiment with poking the apples down in some nylon stockings and smushing them up in the fermenter? Thats how I make about any kind of fruit wine. Reach down in the bucket and squeeze the heck out of the stockings for at least ten days or however long it takes for them to pulverize themselves. On day ten squeeze it out real good and throw the stockings in the trash. Should be full of only peelings..seeds..stems etc. Thinking two knee highs with six pounds of apples in each one should work well. Anyway give you some idea to toy around with maybe.