logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline KGB  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2012 5:21:10 PM(UTC)
KGB

Groups: Registered

"I'm looking for a yeast starter recipe. I would like to make at least a pint of yeast starter using DME, sugar, and active dried yeast. Does anyone have a ""butt kicking"" recipe that really works? If so, may I trouble you for exact weights and measures?

Alternately, I could use a yeast starter recipe using concentrated orange juice, DME, sugar, and active dried yeast.

Thanks,
KGB"
Offline scotty  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2012 9:18:17 PM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

"I dont like dme starters because they add to the PA of the wurt so here is one i found for using just wort for the starter

Only use wort (or must) after dap-energizer, hulls and acid blend have been added. But before using sulfites
Use 1 liter of wort (OR MUST)) and one liter of tap water in the 1 gallon glass jar.
Aerate the starter bottle for 15 minutes before pitching the yeast.
Pitch1 or 2 packets of 1118((or whatever yeast you are using)) allow full 6 hours for the starter bottle to multiply. Lag time 3 hours plus time to multiply. 6-to 24 hours is excellent and would be most efficient
After 4 hours
I usually sulfite the wort 24 hours before pitching
Aerate the wort for 1 hour during the last hour of the starter bottle. If not just aerate wort for 1 hour and let starter continue working till you are ready to pitch.

Add starter bottle and proceed as usual.

SOME NOTES

The growth behavior of yeast cultures is similar to that of bacteria. When a growth medium is inoculated, the cells require a period of preparation before they start dividing. Following this lag period which may be up to several hours they rapidly enter the exponential phase during which their number and mass double at equal time intervals. After a period of growth at a relatively constant exponential rate, some environmental condition becomes growth limiting so that the rate of increase diminishes and growth eventually stops. The population and mass become constant. The culture remains stationary and the cells remain viable for several hours; if the culture is refrigerated the cells remain viable for months. Eventually the cells die, and at room temperature or warmer they will undergo autolysis: their own digestive enzymes become active and they literally digest themselves, reducing their proteins and nucleic acids to their simpler components; they produce a particularly unpleasant stench in the process."
Offline scotty  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2012 9:19:45 PM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

I have made changes in this method but do not have the latest version. i will attempt to edit it a bit.
Offline KGB  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 18, 2012 7:14:11 PM(UTC)
KGB

Groups: Registered

"Thanks for replying. I'm going to give your recipe a go.

KGB"