logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline chefkdub  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2012 5:21:34 AM(UTC)
chefkdub

Groups: Registered

What kind of heating elements should I use? Is Are there any types that I should steer clear of?
Offline heeler  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 15, 2012 6:38:22 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Well when u say heating element are you refering to --internal water heating element??? If so any that will fit the thread on your boiler will do. SS is very unnecessary but if thats what you want then sobeit. Lowes and HD carry lots that will do just fine.
Offline chefkdub  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 15, 2012 8:04:50 AM(UTC)
chefkdub

yeah, I am talking about an internal heating element. I wasn't sure if some would not be safe to distill with. Thanks!
Offline heeler  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2012 4:52:42 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"ChefKdub,
Well I've made several boilers with internal elements from the local building stores and I haven't woke up dead yet.OhMyGod All they do is heat up the liquid in the cooker (just like in your water heater and we drink that) so I have to think its ok to use any that fit the threads. Now with that said I do always get new, and after several uses I checked on one and it looked a little darker but did'nt look disasterously ugly. --- is that really a word -- anyway in my opinion its alright so go with it bro."
Offline chefkdub  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 23, 2012 12:38:49 PM(UTC)
chefkdub

Thanks. Do you need change them often or do you run them until they burn out?
#6 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2012 8:51:12 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Prob need to go read the FAQ or something..or at least start a new thread..but..yall got me craving one of the internal heating elements real bad. Bad boys. Then it dawned on me I have a free welder who knows about migs and tigs etc. Now kindly tell an ignorant person do these gizmos run on 110 or 220? I got the former but not the latter. Now I heard one guy nagging on here I think because with a full load his could not boil water. There was a whole thread on that one seems like. Half loads is more than plenty for me and my pals and kin thus far anyway. Seems like the bourbon jars require refilling more quickly these days..lol. Now do a person need some kind of expensive and complicated electrical controller mechanism to make this deal work? Thanks.
Offline chefkdub  
#7 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2012 9:24:12 AM(UTC)
chefkdub

There are 110 and 220 available. I am installing 2-110 elements. I'll run both of them at full power until the mash is up to temp. Then I'll shut one off and control the voltage on the other one with a router speed controller. I have learned all of this from this forum. I used to use a gas burner, then I switched to a 1500W hot plate. I think that the internal elements will be easier. The hot plate works great but I don't think that it was built to hold all the weight that I put on it. The metal housing has been bending under the weight.
Offline muadib2001  
#8 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2012 12:01:44 PM(UTC)
muadib2001

Originally Posted by: bigwheel Go to Quoted Post
Now I heard one guy nagging on here I think because with a full load his could not boil water. There was a whole thread on that one seems like.

Hey! I represent that! Wink
#9 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2012 3:52:56 AM(UTC)

Ahhh there ya are..lol. Did it work ok for hooch making? What would be the ideal spacing between the elements or how far from the bottom if a person used only one? Thanks.
Offline muadib2001  
#10 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2012 4:56:53 AM(UTC)
muadib2001

I only used one 1500w 110v element. It was very close to the bottom of the keg. Basically, I just positioned the stainless steel locknut on a flat area near the bottom and marked my spot. Drilled the hole with a step drill bit and then took it to the welder guy (and yes, he did look at me sorta funny).

The element I used did not reach halfway in, so I suppose you could mount another directly opposite and at the same height.

But for me, one element was all my circuit could handle. I read somewhere that the element took 11 amps to power. And I tapped into the dishwasher circuit (20a) to power my rig. Two elements would be too much.

I did the sacrificial run with a box of cheap wine. Finally figured out that the uninsulated lyne arm was my problem. Once I insulated it, then the stuff started pouring out (that's because I was at 208 degrees).

I haven't run anything else because I'm still waiting for the SLOW EC-1118 yeast to finish its stupid ferment! 41/2 weeks now!

Muadib
#11 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2012 11:49:30 AM(UTC)

Well thanks for that info. I have two different 110 circuits available. One 15 amp which I have been using for the hotplate because it is closer to where it needs to plug in and a 20 amp which aint got much of nothing hooked to it. Guess I could do two separate hookups. Now not familiar with the lyne arm terminology. Is that the condenser maybe? I have a 20 amp router controller but notice it gets hotter than a two dollar pistol when I have to use anything but the bypass setting. Reckon that is a sign of something or do they all get hot? Would assume the lock nut of which you speak comes with the heating element most likely?
Offline Jones  
#12 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2012 1:08:22 PM(UTC)
Jones

I like the one that Hillbilly Stills has the TG5500 I think it will run off 220 or 110.
#13 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2012 1:43:42 PM(UTC)

Thanks for that info will go check them out. Do that get hotter than one from Home Depot?
Offline muadib2001  
#14 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2012 1:49:01 PM(UTC)
muadib2001

Guess I could do two separate hookups. I have a 20 amp router controller but notice it gets hotter than a two dollar pistol when I have to use anything but the bypass setting. Reckon that is a sign of something or do they all get hot?

I heard of one fellow that plugs one element into the wall straight, no controller. When the unit gets up to temp, he unplugs it and just relies on the other one with the router control to maintain the temp. Since you're just using part of the electrical energy for the element with the router control at less than 100%, the router control has to shed that energy somehow. I think it uses a heat sink. That's why it gets so hot. Make certain your router control is at least 20 amp.

Now not familiar with the lyne arm terminology. Is that the condenser maybe?

Just prior to the condenser. It can rise at a 45 degree angle to provide a reflux of sorts. On a pot still, the upward angle will force the output to have less flavor. A downward angle will provide a fuller flavor.

Would assume the lock nut of which you speak comes with the heating element most likely?

Negative. I found mine at McMaster-Carr PN#4464K586 and later on, at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Stainless...id=1332726540&sr=1-2 [I think it was 1"]). Remember, the water heater element you buy just screws into the water heater tank.
#15 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2012 2:22:58 PM(UTC)

Ok gotcha. You buy the SS fitting from Brewhaus and have the welder step drill the hole to fit and he welds in the fitting then the element screws into the SS fitting. Right? Now is the locknut just a safety feature or is it required to keep it from leaking etc? If they are critical not sure why they dont include it with the package? But then it also seems nutty to sell the beer keg connections w/o the 2" female copper adapter to make it work. Who are we to know how great minds function huh?
Offline muadib2001  
#16 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2012 2:47:56 PM(UTC)
muadib2001

Ok gotcha. You buy the SS fitting from Brewhaus and have the welder step drill the hole to fit and he welds in the fitting then the element screws into the SS fitting. Right?

I wasn't aware that Brewhaus had that 1" SS locknut for sale. But yes, you are correct. The element comes with a gasket. You want to make sure the locknut is welded to the keg with the groove for the gasket to the outside of the keg. Also, if your welder can do the drilling for you, great. Otherwise, the step drill bits are available from Harbor Freight for about $18.00 and you do the drilling.
Now is the locknut just a safety feature or is it required to keep it from leaking etc? If they are critical not sure why they dont include it with the package?

A water heater tank comes with the threads already welded to the tank at the factory. We have to provide the threads for our keg. Hence, the locknut.
#17 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2012 5:04:10 AM(UTC)

Ok think I gotcha now. The locknut goes on first..then the element screws into that. Thanks. It only took me a month to figger out what I needed to attach the column to the keg. I'm way out in front on this one:)
#18 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2012 5:32:47 AM(UTC)

Well guess I was fibbing like a dog cuz just went over and looked at BH online catalouge and didnt see any locknuts at all. Now they have plenty of ferrells. Guess I will head over to McMaster and Carr. I couldnt follow either one of the links you posted. Google kept bouncing me back to this message. Anyway did go to McMaster and think I found the gizmo. Notice one is made of 304 type stainless and the other is 316 which is supposed to be more corrrosion resistant..less than a buck more. Whatcha think? http://www.mcmaster.com/#stainl...el-pipe-locknuts/=gtzuwv

Originally Posted by: muadib2001 Go to Quoted Post
I wasn't aware that Brewhaus had that 1" SS locknut for sale. But yes, you are correct. The element comes with a gasket. You want to make sure the locknut is welded to the keg with the groove for the gasket to the outside of the keg. Also, if your welder can do the drilling for you, great. Otherwise, the step drill bits are available from Harbor Freight for about $18.00 and you do the drilling.

A water heater tank comes with the threads already welded to the tank at the factory. We have to provide the threads for our keg. Hence, the locknut.
Offline muadib2001  
#19 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2012 1:43:02 PM(UTC)
muadib2001

Notice one is made of 304 type stainless and the other is 316 which is supposed to be more corrrosion resistant..less than a buck more. Whatcha think? http://www.mcmaster.com/#stainl...el-pipe-locknuts/=gtzuwv

I got the Type 304. But I have really no clue as to which is better. Confused
#20 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2012 4:47:41 AM(UTC)

They showed one version which they claimed was self sealing..for only 23 bucks each. Guess I have to learn to live without that feature.