logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline jherilee  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 05, 2012 7:39:57 AM(UTC)
jherilee

Groups: Registered

I have been wanting to build a copper pot for a valved reflux still, but I haven't been able to find any directions or anyone that has built one. Decided to get a username on here and get some help. Anyone know where I could find this information? Thanks!
#2 Posted : Monday, March 05, 2012 10:34:11 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Hey J. welcome. Can tell you mighty industrious to undertake building a pot from scratch. I took the liberty of plugging the phrase "how to build a big copper pot" into Google and got a bunch of hits giving step by step directions. Here is one: http://www.ehow.com/how_6558596_make-copper-pots.html best of fortunes on the endeavor.
Offline ohyeahyeah  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 05, 2012 12:40:30 PM(UTC)
ohyeahyeah

I was actually discussing this with a sheet metal mechanic at work today. He didn't seem to think it would be difficult. If you want a classic tulip design you will need an english wheel and hammers. Building a simple milk can style would be much easier. You will also need access to a brake and maybe a shear.

But before you bother with all that i suggest you price some copper sheet metal. 14 gauge which seems a little thin to me for a pot is about 350 bucks for a 24x48 sheet.

It was suggested to me it would be much easier and cheaper to simply line an existing boiler with thin copper sheet. 24 gauge brings the price down to around 130 bucks. I have a 13gal stainless milk can i am considering lining the bottom and side as well as making a tulip style cap/column.

Oh wow i just noticed you want this for a valve reflux still. Seems like a waste of time for a reflux still. Product is seeing plenty of copper contact as it is distilled over and over through the copper column, condensor and packing. If you look at pics of the huge reflux stills being used in commercial alcohol production you won't find any copper.
#4 Posted : Monday, March 05, 2012 1:47:30 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Good point.
Offline Shinejunky  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 05, 2012 3:40:37 PM(UTC)
Shinejunky

Copper sure is pretty but I think the stainless is the way to go now that I've ran both. No more tracking down leaks. Also no more comments like " you drink stuff that comes out of that"
Offline div4gold  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 05, 2012 5:02:17 PM(UTC)
div4gold

Copper is pretty when it's all polished up and it has a traditional history in making moonshine. But it is cheaper and just as functional to use stainless steel with copper mesh packing in the column. Sure would like to have one of the old copper boilers but it isn't really economical and if I had one it would probably be shined up sitting in the living room :) But if you make one be sure to take pictures and let us see it.
Offline Bushy  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 15, 2012 10:21:41 AM(UTC)
Bushy

As DIV4GOLD said copper sure is pretty and expensive. For the money you'd be better of with one of the BH models. They work well and are almost as pretty as a copper one. Also less expensive. If you get a complete set it will end up costing about 2/3 of building a copper one and take a lot less time.