logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Bayou-Ruler  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2012 1:04:40 PM(UTC)
Bayou-Ruler

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

"Well after a lot of waiting I finally got approval from the Alcohol And Tobacco Tax And Trade Bureau. I now posses a valid Federal Alcohol Fuel Producer Permit. Under the provisions of my permit I can legally produce up to 10,000 gallons of Ethanol per calender year for FUEL. I am required to make gauges, take inventories, and maintain records of my operations. I also have to file a report each calender year with the TTB summarizing my fuel plant activities. I am required to keep my permit and application on file on the permit premises and readily available for examination by TTB officials. And of course they can show up to look around anytime they wish.

On a side note for those who are curious, no one ever came out to inspect my property prior to issuing the permit and as a matter of fact, they did not even talk to me on the phone about it.

Others experiences may varies................. OhMyGod"
Bayou Ethanol
AFP-LA-15027
www.bayouethanol.com
Offline Bayou-Ruler  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2012 2:49:09 PM(UTC)
Bayou-Ruler

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: bigwheel Go to Quoted Post
Hearty congrats Sir. That is some very good news. Now I would not want to get caught with a bunch of pint jars when the inspector come calling. Or at least dont have customer names wrote on the lid...lol.

Thank Ya,....lol

I'm going to follow the rules. Honestly I don't even drink! I simply enjoy the whole process of mashing, fermentation, & ethanol distillation. Now that I can legally produce ethanol for fuel I don't have to be covert and hide, I can freely discuss the process, share my knowledge and show off my equipment with someone who is interested in the hobby and not have to be worried about them turning me in. I truly enjoy discussing the aspects of ethanol production with anyone who is interested.
Bayou Ethanol
AFP-LA-15027
www.bayouethanol.com
Offline scotty  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 12:10:51 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Sounds great BR ENJOY.BigGrin
Offline jdhaynes81  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 4:22:07 AM(UTC)
jdhaynes81

I'm curious about the type of gauges you have to make.
Offline Bayou-Ruler  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 4:30:47 AM(UTC)
Bayou-Ruler

Man
United States

"
Originally Posted by: jdhaynes81 Go to Quoted Post
I'm curious about the type of gauges you have to make.

Title 27: Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms
PART 19"”DISTILLED SPIRITS PLANTS

Subpart X"”Distilled Spirits for Fuel Use

Accounting for Spirits

§ 19.709 Gauging.

(a) Gauging equipment and methods. A proprietor of an alcohol fuel plant must perform periodic gauges of the distilled spirits and fuel alcohol at the alcohol fuel plant. The procedures for the gauging of spirits set forth in part 30 of this chapter also apply under this subpart. In addition, the following rules for the gauging of distilled spirits and fuel alcohol under this subpart also apply:

(1) The proprietor must determine the proof of spirits by using a glass cylinder, hydrometer and thermometer;

(2) The proprietor must ensure that hydrometers, thermometers, and other equipment used to determine proof, volume, or weight are accurate;

(3) The proprietor may determine the quantity of spirits or fuel alcohol either by volume or weight;

(4) To determine quantity by volume, the proprietor may use a tank or receptacle with a calibrated sight glass installed, a calibrated dipstick, conversion charts, an accurate mass flow meter, or other devices approved by the appropriate TTB officer;

(5) Unless the proprietor chooses to do so, the proprietor is not required to determine the proof of fuel alcohol manufactured, on hand, or removed; and

(6) The proprietor may account for fuel alcohol in wine gallons;

(b) Verification by TTB. TTB officers may at any time verify the accuracy of the gauging equipment used.

(c) When gauges are required. A proprietor must gauge spirits and record the results in the records required by §19.718, at the following times:

(1) Upon completing the production of distilled spirits;

(2) On the receipt of spirits at the plant;

(3) Prior to the addition of materials to render the spirits unfit for beverage use;

(4) Before withdrawal from plant premises or other disposition of spirits (including fuel alcohol); and

(5) When spirits are inventoried.

(26 U.S.C. 5201, 5204)

§ 19.710 Inventory of spirits.

A proprietor of an alcohol fuel plant must take a physical inventory of all spirits and fuel alcohol on the bonded premises at the end of each calendar year. The proprietor must record the results of this physical inventory in the records required by §19.718.

(26 U.S.C. 5201)"
Bayou Ethanol
AFP-LA-15027
www.bayouethanol.com
Offline Bayou-Ruler  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 4:46:05 AM(UTC)
Bayou-Ruler

Man
United States

"
Originally Posted by: bigwheel Go to Quoted Post
Hey BR I have an old chum on a bbq forum who distills ethanol for fuel in some type of industrial setting. Seems like the said altered hot water heaters were the instrument of choice.

Well I'm using my Brewhaus rig. I will come no where near the 10,000 proof gallons that my permit allows me to distill. Its strictly a hobby for me and something to do in my spare time.

Oh and on a a side note for those who may be interested there is NO bond requirement on a small scale alcohol fuel producer permit. There is bond requirements on the Medium and Large scale permits. Small scale is up to 10,000 proof gallons per calender year.

If you read through the TTB website pertaining to Ethanol production it can get a little confusing, because they are always mentioning the BOND. But like i said it is NOT required for a small alcohol fuel plant permit."
Bayou Ethanol
AFP-LA-15027
www.bayouethanol.com
Offline Jones  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 7:43:22 AM(UTC)
Jones

How long does it take for it to get back when you send off for it?
Offline Bayou-Ruler  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 12:07:30 PM(UTC)
Bayou-Ruler

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Jones Go to Quoted Post
How long does it take for it to get back when you send off for it?

About two months but took me four months. If you dont complete it properly they will return it with a letter explain what additional information is needed. I know this because that is what happened to me. My application was submitted on October 31, 2011. Around Christmas I received it back with letter requesting additional information. Re submitted the application immediately with requested additional information and received the permit February 18, 2012.

If you apply make sure you submit proof that you own the property where you plan to conduct operations A TAX bill or copy of the deed will do. Include you photo ID either State ID or drivers license will do. And if you still don't have a serial number, assign it one and permanently mark it on the still. Include this number on your application.
Bayou Ethanol
AFP-LA-15027
www.bayouethanol.com
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 1:26:22 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Gotcha on the BH.The bureaucrats must have missed this statute. Dont notice too manly lawerly type words. Or they in such a rush to go Green they are cutting folks some slack. Now if Alfgore ever shows up at your operation kindly tell him we are the only nation on earth dumb enough to burn up our food supply in the gas tanks or our cars..(paraphrasing our old pal G Beck here:) I don't have many good thoughts but I pray a lot. Praying the Lord will bless your venture mightly and have requested His Angels to surround you as you work and or play etc. Now I have a plan. Make friends with the local remote control airplane group and pretend to be selling them small amounts of fuel for their airplanes. That should work.
Offline Jones  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 2:39:47 PM(UTC)
Jones

Bayou-Ruler thanks for the info.
Offline Bayou-Ruler  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 2:41:28 PM(UTC)
Bayou-Ruler

Man
United States

"
Originally Posted by: Jones Go to Quoted Post
Bayou-Ruler thanks for the info.

You're welcome, glad i could help."
Bayou Ethanol
AFP-LA-15027
www.bayouethanol.com
Offline flht01  
#12 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2013 5:08:27 AM(UTC)
flht01

Originally Posted by: Bayou-Ruler Go to Quoted Post
Well I'm using my Brewhaus rig...

Do you remember the capacity you used for the stills output? I'm looking at applying for a license as an option and have no idea how much my rig (BH ps-ii hc) will produce in 24 hrs.

thanks
Offline Bayou-Ruler  
#13 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2013 5:34:32 AM(UTC)
Bayou-Ruler

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: flht01 Go to Quoted Post
Do you remember the capacity you used for the stills output? I'm looking at applying for a license as an option and have no idea how much my rig (BH ps-ii hc) will produce in 24 hrs.

thanks

All you have to put is the size of the column. width x length
Bayou Ethanol
AFP-LA-15027
www.bayouethanol.com
Offline RCRed  
#14 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2013 9:27:23 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Bayou, on the tax bill, did you have to show them the amount of tax, or just the bill w/name/address and amounts redacted?
Offline flht01  
#15 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2013 11:32:28 AM(UTC)
flht01

RoyseCityRed,

Have you been able to determine if anything needs to be filed to the state (Tx.) before turning in this AFP application?
Offline Bayou-Ruler  
#16 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2013 2:30:25 PM(UTC)
Bayou-Ruler

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: RoyseCityRed Go to Quoted Post
Bayou, on the tax bill, did you have to show them the amount of tax, or just the bill w/name/address and amounts redacted?

Send them a copy of the whole tax bill. I don't think they are worried about the amount of tax u payed, but I sent the complete bill.
Bayou Ethanol
AFP-LA-15027
www.bayouethanol.com
Offline RCRed  
#17 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2013 2:49:41 PM(UTC)
RCRed

Originally Posted by: flht01 Go to Quoted Post
RoyseCityRed,

Have you been able to determine if anything needs to be filed to the state (Tx.) before turning in this AFP application?
Heya flht - Not sure the TABC covers fuel production. Also, TABC regulations allows 200 gals of beer or wine to be home brewed - with an additional 100 gals for households with a spouse or significant other, and in dry counties, up to one quart of home distilled spirits can be possesed legally. In short, hobbyists are not bothered too much as long as it's just a hobby.

Bayou - Thanks sir... Me missus is tight about givin out details...
Offline Bayou-Ruler  
#18 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2013 3:38:25 PM(UTC)
Bayou-Ruler

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: RoyseCityRed Go to Quoted Post
Heya flht - Not sure the TABC covers fuel production. Also, TABC regulations allows 200 gals of beer or wine to be home brewed - with an additional 100 gals for households with a spouse or significant other, and in dry counties, up to one quart of home distilled spirits can be possesed legally. In short, hobbyists are not bothered too much as long as it's just a hobby.

Bayou - Thanks sir... Me missus is tight about givin out details...

Be sure you thoroughly complete the application. If you leave anything out they will send it back with a letter telling you what is needed. If your still don't have a serial number you will have to assign it one and include it on the application. You will have to also etch or permanently mark it on the column. Also be sure to include a photo copy of the drivers license or official state id card of the primary contact person. include a phone number and email address too.

Oh and when you are ready to mail it, send it with certified Mail with return receipt, that way you have proof they received the application. It will take a while for them to send your application once approved.
Bayou Ethanol
AFP-LA-15027
www.bayouethanol.com
Offline RCRed  
#19 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2013 3:43:41 PM(UTC)
RCRed

yes sir, I'm pretty anal about following process (esp. when it's for any govt agency). I's dotted and t's crossed, and checked three times. I read that form over about three times so far, and I am going to collect the information and get ready.

The serial number needs to be etched with more than ink I am suspecting.. Like with a dremel stylus?

Gawd, what did the military do to me... I am a geek!!
Offline flht01  
#20 Posted : Friday, May 31, 2013 6:24:36 AM(UTC)
flht01

I'm filling out the property diagram with the still location and have a question. Does the building/shed for the still and product storage have to be solely dedicated to distilling or can it be an area within a shop?