logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 22, 2005 8:16:04 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

I am preparing to make my very first attempt at mashing and distilling. However I will be at 4100' and that changes all boiling temps. considerably. Can anyone give me the beginning, main body, and tails temps for here? I have searched but haven't found any charts or references. Also, does altitude affect fermation?
Many thanks
#2 Posted : Monday, November 28, 2005 9:45:39 PM(UTC)

Dont cut by tempature, cut by volume . You should have some idea of your probably yield from how much sugar you started with . Throw away the first 5%. Collect the next 50%. Collect the next 45% to redestill later.

For various reasons high altitude is actually better UserPostedImage Pressure will not effect the ferment but tempature will . TRy to keep your fermenter in a cool dry place ,neither by the fire or out in the cold,
#3 Posted : Monday, December 12, 2005 8:16:29 AM(UTC)

2 serious questions:
I have a new Pro Series 2 High Capacity distilling unit. I have run it twice with copper packing. First was a 24 hour turbo and next was 48 turbo that was much clearer and produced a much better quality. I seperated heads and collected in quart amount till end. All, first and second run, gave readings of 88 ABV at 20 degrees. The therm. read 68 to 70 for the whole run. I used a propane burner which I had to keep at a very high flow because of wind and temp. it was below freezing and even some snow.
I have read that insulating the column helps in certain conditions. If so, what to use and how?

Also, because of the high heat required to keep it going ,a slight decreas and all stopped- total reflux,, but still a very hard boil. With this much heat would the additions of marbles or such into the boiler help? Even so the entire run of 18.5% mash only took 5 hours from starting to heat the mash to finish- couldn't slow it down at all without stopping it completely. The taste of the second run was very good, but plan to re-run the first, with tails from the 2nd even though they were 88% and still tasted very clean.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as winter is here and I have no safe sheltered place.
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 25, 2005 7:28:35 PM(UTC)

88% is actually very good already UserPostedImage Prety sure you are doing just fine.

5 hours is a fairly slow run, there is no real reason to try for slower , with the amount of heat you are describing you should already have more then enough reflux action.

You should use something to keep an even steady boil in the kettle. Marbles will probably work fine, I use a handfull of ceramic saddles.

If you where using electric heat I might suggest moving inside to a basement during the winter but just to dangerous with propane. If you try to insulate, only do the kettle. You want the column exposed to radiate heat as quickly as possible for reflux action.
#5 Posted : Monday, December 26, 2005 3:25:04 PM(UTC)

88% is not all that good when you take into consideration that it means that 12% contains the other stuff i.e. methanol, fusel oils, etc, etc, etc.
Offline maverick81  
#6 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2013 7:01:34 PM(UTC)
maverick81

Groups: Registered

In this thread what is the#39 # 41 etc.