logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline kwoods  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 05, 2012 3:49:45 PM(UTC)
kwoods

Groups: Registered

"Has anyone made likker using store bought corn meal?
Will it work?"
#2 Posted : Monday, February 06, 2012 4:43:23 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Apparently it do work since there are a bunch of recipes floating around in cyber space which calls for using the stuff in the hooch making process. I have a batch of wash made up using it but havent had a chance to run it yet. The directions on the recipe I followed claimed the cornmeal would not be fermentable but would add to the flavor profile. After fermentation the fellow strained it through a pillow case direct into his boiler. Guess a person could say its a corn meal flavored sugar wash because all it has in there is sugar water yeast and cornmeal. Do believe there are some who mash it..or make the corn meal fermentable but it sounds like a lot of trouble. Here is a link to some discussion on the topic: http://www.homedistiller.org/fo...opic.php?f=34&t=1884
Offline muadib2001  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2012 8:38:02 AM(UTC)
muadib2001

Groups: Registered

"Would the addition of Beano help with the corn meal starch conversion?

Muadib"
#4 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2012 9:10:24 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Not sure about that one. I have heard of folks using Beano seems like that was after mashing. I did throw a couple of human digestive enzyme tablets down in there hoping it help the yeast eat the corn meal but not sure if that helped any. Think it prob had enough table sugar in it to get it up to the point of killing the yeast before it had time to work on the corn meal. Just used regular old bread yeast. Noticed it seemed to quit aggresively working fairly fast as in 3 or 4 days max. May not be any alcohol in it for all I know:) Its in sealed opaque buckets and I have been too gutless to take the lid off to sample it afraid it might still have a little protective Co2 on top which would be lost. I dont have one of the checker gizmos..yet. I have noticed with this hobby its always time to buy more essential items. Hope to get a better handle on it if I can ever my new moonshine still up and running. Some smart fella said its good to do a sacrificial alcohol run to break it in. Figger this be the right stuff to sacrifice. Have since got some distillers yeast and am dying to try the sweet feed wash as soon as I can get the fermenters emptied. .