logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline wut4dude  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 04, 2012 8:39:52 AM(UTC)
wut4dude

Groups: Registered

"...i've been looking at distillation parots and prices ranged from $85 to hundreds of dollars. don't get me wrong, they were all works of art and would look just as nice on the mantel as in the barn, but i decided to build my on...it works fine, with h2o anyway...still need to do a little clean up...haven't had a chance to use it yet
[ATTACH]153[/ATTACH]"
wut4dude attached the following image(s):
parot%20a.jpg (20kb) downloaded 2 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 04, 2012 9:54:31 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Looks highly kewlish. Fine job. I have seen those gizmos for sale on some websites..this one maybe. Never could quite figger out their function. What do a person do with it in other words? Thanks.
Offline wut4dude  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 04, 2012 10:40:24 AM(UTC)
wut4dude

...you know it's probably more of a conversation piece than a useful instrument,,,but it "suppose" to allow you to monitor abv levels at your condenser output by floating your alcohmeter...i probaly won't use it because i'm wondering how this may affect my cuts. i've got a 15.5 gallon boiler and a brewhaus 8 gallon on the way...on the 8 gallon, I'll use 8 ounce jars to make my cuts and on the 15.5 gallon keg, i use pint jars...just the way i was taught...i'm gonna do a comparison my way and the "parot" way and see if my cuts remain consistent
020312175440(1).JPG (20kb) downloaded 1 time(s).

#4 Posted : Sunday, February 05, 2012 12:06:39 PM(UTC)

Well thanks for the Parot primer. Sounds like a good plan. Now think I have gathered the cuts are made to bring it down to hundred proof maybe? I was speaking to this old moonshine conesewer from SC. He claimed the stuff he gets is not cut. He say its full strength as comes from the well head. He claims its fifteen bucks a pint and 25 for a quart. Do you think he might be hallucinating? I dont see how anybody could afford to peddle it that cheap and strong. Thanks.
Offline wut4dude  
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 05, 2012 12:55:40 PM(UTC)
wut4dude

...last fall I met a Guy here in eastern NC that had some decent corn likker for $60 a quart ...but yeah, I'll take some of that!
#6 Posted : Sunday, February 05, 2012 1:28:29 PM(UTC)

Well I grilled him about it as good as I could. He say you have to bring your own jar or the old guy who makes the stuff charges an extra three bucks:) I am wondering if maybe one trip through a pot still and cheap deer corn a person might make ends meet. For some reason I been getting ads or articles for Junior Johnsons apple pie which I think the ad say was forty bucks a pint. Then the roundabout joint venture between Popcorn's motorcycle buddy and Bocephus is going to cost 30 bucks a pint or else vice versa. Not sure how strong is either one.
Offline wut4dude  
#7 Posted : Friday, February 10, 2012 2:20:07 PM(UTC)
wut4dude

"...well, here's my finished parot...or this is about all I'm gonna do to it...she works like a charm and since I added that plank base, she's very sturdy...
[ATTACH]191[/ATTACH]"
021012154739.jpg (20kb) downloaded 2 time(s).

#8 Posted : Saturday, February 11, 2012 12:31:43 PM(UTC)

Good show old chap!! I likes it.
Offline wut4dude  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 2:43:20 PM(UTC)
wut4dude

"...I finally broke out some emery cloth and shined my parot up...she's ready!
[ATTACH]200[/ATTACH]"
parot%20b.jpg (16kb) downloaded 1 time(s).

Offline wut4dude  
#10 Posted : Friday, March 02, 2012 7:09:42 AM(UTC)
wut4dude

"...finally used my parot yesterday for the first time...it worked like a champ!
[ATTACH]203[/ATTACH][ATTACH]204[/ATTACH]
...was able to follow my output from 94% down to 80%...this is when my product output stopped and my column temp shot up"
030112140648.jpg (18kb) downloaded 2 time(s).
030112122033.jpg (20kb) downloaded 1 time(s).

Offline Bayou-Ruler  
#11 Posted : Friday, March 02, 2012 11:00:44 AM(UTC)
Bayou-Ruler

Man
United States

"
Originally Posted by: wut4dude Go to Quoted Post
...finally used my parot yesterday for the first time...it worked like a champ!
[ATTACH]203[/ATTACH][ATTACH]204[/ATTACH]
...was able to follow my output from 94% down to 80%...this is when my product output stopped and my column temp shot up

Good deal, a parrot is a very useful tool indeed!"
Bayou Ethanol
AFP-LA-15027
www.bayouethanol.com
#12 Posted : Friday, March 02, 2012 4:01:19 PM(UTC)

Hearty congrats on the Parot. Glad to be told what folks use them for. Now..I got to have one most likely:) Done figgered out this hobby is a few hundred here and a couple there in a more or less constant exchange of funds..lol. Thinking the cabarets might be cheaper.
Offline badbill2  
#13 Posted : Monday, April 16, 2012 6:27:14 AM(UTC)
badbill2

I made one almost identical. worked great and then the alcoholmeter broke inside the Parrot. I don't know if it was the temp? or maybe I shook it taking it out. Had any problems with the heat?
#14 Posted : Monday, April 16, 2012 7:44:53 AM(UTC)

Dont think those meters need much of an excuse to break. When I first got into this hobby several folks said to stock up on by the dozen. I still got the same one but I dont use it often. Guess thats why it aint broke yet. Now in the Parot aint that thing bobbing and weaving around in there? Prob pecked into the sidewall once too often. How hot is the hooch it is checking? Is it measuring direct out of the boiler or what comes out the condenser? This deal might need re-inventing. Lot of technology out there for measuring ethanol..least in low percentages. Not sure about full blowed shine. Might be more limited there. Sure the pesky Infernal Revenooers just hit it with a lazer beam or something.
Offline LWTCS  
#15 Posted : Monday, April 16, 2012 9:45:57 AM(UTC)
LWTCS

"It is considered good luck to buy 5, then promptly drop one on the floor on your own accord.
That a way ya can show em who is really in control BigGrin"
#16 Posted : Monday, April 16, 2012 9:59:51 AM(UTC)

Well know this is going to give me a snake bite and will break the only one I own..thanks. Give me some good ideas on a proofing vessel. I went to all the trouble to go to Acemart for tall skinny pitchers and they had fat beer pitchers was about all other than the wine Carafe which dont work worth a caca. On a two quart jug the checker gizmo drops all the way to the bottom till it makes a clink..then you have to add enough water to try and make it float which sometimes results in "weak hooch." Now whoever predicted my fifty fifty method of proofing was wrong was total right. I wounded up with some seventy proof one time. Now what low life would drink that crap? I need to dump 2 to 2.5 qts. of normal shine into a jug and get a reading..then have enough room left over to dump distilled water in it to get it to acceptable levels. Hundred proof or thereabouts. Help help..lol. This hobby it too complicated.
#17 Posted : Tuesday, April 17, 2012 3:18:15 PM(UTC)

Good plan. I am going out to the man cave to break the only one I got just to feel more like an Alpha Male. Naw..just teasing. I will keep it till it breaks itself. Then gonna swear off of using one. I am gonna count the bubbles like Popcorn did.
Offline wut4dude  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, April 18, 2012 12:36:17 PM(UTC)
wut4dude

"...nah man, I haven't had any issues with my alchometer...yet anyway...I'm actually surprized that I haven't broken one yet. I think my distillate enters my parot around 86 to 100 degrees F, depending on my condenser cooling
h2o temp...yup, the parot catches the product as it comes out the condenser...I use a closed cooling system and sometimes, if I don't add more h2o or ice to cool my h2o, my condenser becomes inefficient and I get a really hot product...also had this happen when a h2o pump went out on me in the middle of a run...one minute drip-drip-drip and then vapor...this sucked!"
#19 Posted : Wednesday, April 18, 2012 1:23:34 PM(UTC)

Well I was trying to figger out why Bad Bill was worried about heat breaking his gizmo. The Parrot they show on Brewhaus looks like it coming outta the boiler or it could be a figment of a fertile imagination. Glad your checker is durable ...so far..knock on wood.