logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 02, 2012 4:16:13 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Does anybody know where to buy the fancy looking clamp and maybe O ring which would allow a person to hook the 2 inch copper column to the keg without having to cut into the keg? Thanks.
Offline heeler  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 02, 2012 7:27:54 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
On this website...its called a sanitary clamp and if you use 2 inch copper you need a 2 inch clamp. Just go back to the home page and look under any still column connector or call and order over the phone. You will also need the ferell that makes it complete -- that welds or soldiers to the copper and thats what makes the atatchment possible.
Offline heeler  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 02, 2012 7:36:30 AM(UTC)
heeler

I have made several that I cut the top out of, now that I've made one that attatches directly to the keg spout neck (for lack of the proper term) I really like the clamp and go style. The hole is smaller of course and some think its a pain or impossible to clean but eau contrare.....I just shove the hose down the neck and that seems to work fine. Of couse you have to use a funnel to fill it but no big deal.
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 02, 2012 7:59:04 AM(UTC)

Well thanks for the info. I have been trying to do some research since I posted this question. Noted a couple of places which seem to have kits which cost around sixty bucks has all the parts. Clamp..o ring..ect. Is that too high? Also..on the plans me and the plumber are trying to follow it calls for packing the main column with raschling rings or copper pot scrubbers to be held in place with mesh wire and a hose clamp on the bottom end. If the column is mounted flush to the keg what keeps the packing from falling into the boiler. I'm thinking maybe if a person used the rolled up copper screen wire it might friction fit inside there and not have worry of it falling out. Now is this hot or warm? PS Edit: Now think I am getting the picture here on just buying the separate parts to hook these puppies up. Now to cease bugging you think I give the folks a call..lol. woops guess that was a bad idear they aint answering the phone. There is no rest for the wicked my Daddy always say. I think a parts list would work well..lol. Would assume I also need the sanitary clamp gasket etc. Ok since you are being pokey I ordered this stuff. Let me know if its the right thing please.

Qty SKU Item Price
1 40004010 2'' Tri-Clamp

$9.50
1 40004020 2'' Tri-Clamp Gasket

$0.89
1 40004005 2'' Long Weld Tri-Clamp Ferrule

$9.50
1 40004025 2'' Tri-Clamp O-Ring for Keg

$0.59
1 40003050 Copper Mesh

$13.95
Offline wut4dude  
#5 Posted : Friday, February 03, 2012 3:31:28 AM(UTC)
wut4dude

Groups: Registered

"i use the tri-clamp to npt adapter and then start my copper column off with a 2"" female adapter...this adapter is $27.95 from Brewhaus...the link is below.

http://www.brewhaus.com/Tri-Cla...PT-Coupler-P957C130.aspx"
#6 Posted : Friday, February 03, 2012 2:20:01 PM(UTC)

Wow thanks glad somebody finally spoke up here. I think Scotty is pouting or something. Anyway played phone tag with the nice brewhaus lady today. I am doing a 3 way conversation between the pretty lady and Mr. Fixit who builds the stills (Rick maybe?) Anyway I found what Rick told the nice lady was what was needed to complete the proposition which is the 2" female NPT deal made out of copper. Which they do not happen to stock. Then now I only lack the 27 dollar gizmo the O ring and the sanitary clamp..and maybe the gasket for that and of course the friendly copper guy did not have any SS. So I cancelled the order from the bh which looking back on it it now I need it since finding the missing puzzle piece..but not buying it. The guy only had two so they prob be gone time I get back over there to buy one...which looking back on it it I probably need that stuff too. Anyway the copper guy figgered up the prices and its about like ordering a kit from mile high or maybe one of them other places which is not quite so back logged. The moonshine TV show is driving the yups crazy is all I can figger. Do you think anybody has ever committed sewercide over trying to become engaged in this hobby? Golfing and hanging out in the Cabarets has got to be cheaper and more cost efficient..less aggravating etc. lol
Offline wut4dude  
#7 Posted : Saturday, February 04, 2012 8:16:03 AM(UTC)
wut4dude

hey bigwheel, the 2" tri-clamp to npt i purchased from brewhaus is stainless, not copper...i attach a 2" copper female adapter to the 2" npt...trying to upload pic
Offline wut4dude  
#8 Posted : Saturday, February 04, 2012 8:30:38 AM(UTC)
wut4dude

"[ATTACH]150[/ATTACH]
...here ya go...the copper female adapter screws on to the npt and I take off with 2"" copper pipe from there"
wut4dude attached the following image(s):
020312190121.jpg (20kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
#9 Posted : Saturday, February 04, 2012 10:18:06 AM(UTC)

Ok gotcha thanks. I went back over to the hardware store and bought two of the 2" copper adapters just in case somebody else want to build a beer keg still. Now all I am missing is the threaded SS gizmo the clamp and the gasket. Assuming the clamp requires a person to purchase the gasket separately? Looks that way anyway.
Offline heeler  
#10 Posted : Sunday, August 05, 2012 5:38:37 AM(UTC)
heeler

"this is my keg connection (upside down of course) and with that slip coupling I can use different towers. If I had known, the price of the ferrel is 2.50$ as compared to the price of the 2"" coupling which was 25$ I would have just added a ferrel to the bottom of each tower. Oh well
UserPostedImage"
Offline heeler  
#11 Posted : Sunday, August 05, 2012 5:46:18 AM(UTC)
heeler

This is how I do it. As you can see I use a slip coupling so I can swap out towers. If I had known that a ferrel was 2.50$ and that coupling was 25$ I would have done it differently but oh well.UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
#12 Posted : Sunday, August 05, 2012 6:42:17 AM(UTC)

Dang..now you tell me huh? That looks way too cool. I will know next time. Thanks. That could take a bunch off the cost of materials and do like that swapping tops feature.
Offline Bushy  
#13 Posted : Monday, August 20, 2012 12:22:05 PM(UTC)
Bushy

Originally Posted by: heeler Go to Quoted Post
This is how I do it. As you can see I use a slip coupling so I can swap out towers. If I had known that a ferrel was 2.50$ and that coupling was 25$ I would have done it differently but oh well.UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

Hey Heeler how do you seal the tower when you slip it in the connector, or is there no leakage?
Offline Bushy  
#14 Posted : Monday, August 20, 2012 3:41:51 PM(UTC)
Bushy

Originally Posted by: fatboylo Go to Quoted Post
HAHAHHHAHAH if u r worried bout lossing that much sweat?????????? U shouldn't be!!!!!!!! My o pin yawn!!!!! As Big would say!!!!! But thats just me!!!!!!!!Tongue Thats how I run my pot now and never get a hint........unles my lid ain't sealed!!!!!!!BigGrin

GEEEE what a well thought out reply. I use propane and would like to keep my well groomed beard.
Offline heeler  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, August 21, 2012 12:49:16 AM(UTC)
heeler

"Bushy, I used to use a flour paste to seal it and then break it away after each use. I've since found out that you really dont need it. Once your up to cooking speed and its rollin along your heat will be minimul anyway and even with a strippin run theres no leaking that I have noticed. I know we all pour the heat to it to get up to cookin temp (I do too) and thats ok, but if you visualize your run -- high heat to get up there and then lower heat to cook and hold steady -- as long as you have no blockage the steam will flow out, and no the rolls of mesh will not cause blockage unless you've packed it so tight it cant breath. Try this with your tower -----fill the tower with mesh the way you want it and then try to blow through it ---is it plugged??? If not then the --no-- seal around the tower will work fine.

Remember if you boil water with no seal it prolly WILL sputter around the neck because heat is pressure and it has to go somewhere, but we dont cook our mash or wash at 212F, so with all that said.....no seal is required with my setup whilst in the stillin mode. Hope this helps and just ask if there more ????

Sorry my responses aren't as colorfull as others but hopfully you'll get the idea."
Offline scotty  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, August 21, 2012 1:35:34 AM(UTC)
scotty

Boreing but more accurate:) I prefer the accurate or rather boreing instead of bullshit BigGrinBigGrin
Offline Bushy  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, August 21, 2012 4:13:59 AM(UTC)
Bushy

Thanks Heeler, that was the answer I was hopeing to hear.
Scotty, as far as the BS is concerned, the people that think they are the life of the party are usually the one's the majority wishes would leave.
Offline scotty  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, August 21, 2012 9:17:43 PM(UTC)
scotty

I dont know why you think its you???
But this site is about distilling and helping one another through adult level discussion and by giving accurate understandable information.. The fun thread is for the rest.:)
Offline John Barleycorn  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2012 8:52:34 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"
You boys sure make a feller not fell welcomed.

YOU are welcome. But your juvenile, rude and vulgar COMMENTS are not ... and the phony rube-English grew old after your first post.

I didn't thunk this was what this site was al about????????

You apparently just don't think, period. This site is about distilling. People come here to learn and/or help others learn. Threads that you have polluted with your irrelevant, off-topic and immature comments are hardly a showcase to attract the more experienced hobbyists whom we can all learn from.

Seems to be clickest.

If you're referring to the group of people who don't care for many of your posts, then you would be correct ... and for good reason. Otherwise, stop whining and start contributing.

--JB"
Offline badbill2  
#20 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2012 6:45:58 AM(UTC)
badbill2

bigwheel, I suggested a few months ago, if you want to attach a column to a keg, the cheapest way to do it is to insert a 1-1/2" copper coupling, about $3.00 into the neck and if you can use a 1-1/2" column just stick a piece of copper into the coupling and your done with the connection.
Originally Posted by: bigwheel Go to Quoted Post
As the Old Adage goes...Rattle on Cat Turds..somebody will eventually cover you up.