logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Convictushome  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, May 08, 2013 4:51:32 AM(UTC)
Convictushome

Groups: Registered

"
Originally Posted by: John Barleycorn Go to Quoted Post
1 pound = 453.6 grams
1 gallon = 3.79 liters

453.6 / 3.79 = 119.7 ... or about 120

It's the conversion from grams/liter to pounds/gallon.

Thanks for the explanation. Blushing That wasn't obvious to me and I'm always curious about magic numbers in equations.

Any thoughts on my method of Weight and Starting gravity?

I realize brewing beer may not translate to distilling in a direct fashion, but I do know about hitting target gravity for desired ABV%.

Is my math crazy/wrong? It could be that you hit the high end of attenuation for your yeast and so it fails to fully ferment. Most brewers yeast is usually very efficient as long as you don't put it in situations that stress it. High ABV% can be stressful enough to kill off your yeast leaving you with residual sugar unfermented."
Offline John Barleycorn  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, May 08, 2013 6:11:15 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"It's not clear to me what problem you're trying to solve.

But an FG of 1.2 isn't a good assumption, even if you intended to write 1.020 ... that's way high for sugar. Using a value in the range [0.990 .. 1.000] would be reasonable."
Offline Convictushome  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, May 08, 2013 8:12:09 AM(UTC)
Convictushome

I trying to rework KGB's post using an arbitrary gravity change of 1.127 down to 1.02 to guess how many lbs of sugar to dissolve into a gallon of water to yield 14%abv.

My beers usually do end around 1.02. Yes 1.2 was a typo, but I have run as low as 1.006. I have a beer that has been sitting lambic yeast blend for a year that may be lower, but .9 or 1 really? It's rare I see a brewers yeast go that low, even when I pitch relatively high cell counts. Is this a result of the turbo yeasts?

Thanks for taking the time to respond John, I do appreciate it.
Offline John Barleycorn  
#24 Posted : Wednesday, May 08, 2013 8:43:54 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

I think you're getting wrapped around the axle a tiny bit.

All of my sugar washes have finished at 0.996 or lower. Keep in mind that it's all sucrose, so you don't end up with with a bunch of dextrins that the yeast are unable to metabolize like you do when you do one of your AG brews. S cerevisiae generates its own invertase so it has no problems breaking down the sucrose into glucose and fructose. Those dextrins will increase your gravity, but the yeast won't be able to convert them, so you'll end up with a higher FG.

Another thing to consider is that the yeast don't care about the FG. I've used plain old baker's yeast, wine yeasts, and ale yeast. The do care about the OG (osmotic shock) and the alcohol content (as alcohol is an inhibitor), but not the FG in and of itself.

I also don't get too concerned about the potential alcohol content (PA). I just worry about the OG (to avoid osmotic shock). I just like to keep the OG at (or below) 1.080, that's worked well for me ... the alcohol content is just a side effect. That said, I just use 46 ppg as an estimate for how much sugar to use. So in a six gallon wash at 1.080:

6 x 80 = 480 points
480/46 = 10.5 lbs of sugar

To keep things simple, I'll just use 10 lbs sugar topped off to 21 - 22 liters ... which will put my gravity right where I want it.

--JB
Offline Convictushome  
#25 Posted : Wednesday, May 08, 2013 9:42:43 AM(UTC)
Convictushome

I knew AG had some unfermentable material, I guess I never realized it would account for so much gravity.

So to veer back to the subject of the thread, does cracked corn encounter similar issues with unfermentable dextrins? I don't expect that I will be making just sugar washes, except for learning\experimenting purposes so my interest lies in mostly corn batches.
Offline John Barleycorn  
#26 Posted : Wednesday, May 08, 2013 12:28:34 PM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

"If you start with a starch source you will most likely end up with with at least some dextrins ... if your FG is below 1.000 for an AG mash, I'd say you're doing pretty darn good. There's a bunch of things that enter into the equation, like the amylopectin content, the classes of enzymes in your mash, their concentration, time, temperature, pH, etc. etc. Then you need to get that cracked corn cooked-out so the enzymes can do their job. Regardless, glucoamylase can work on both the alpha- and beta-limit dextrins if you consider them a problem ... I believe the beer guys are still arguing over the whole ""mouth feel"" thing. :)

If you want to dig into the whole corn mashing thing, I'd recommend you take a look around modern distiller. There's a lot of corn experimentation going on there both with malt and without (using commercial enzymes). Take a look in the mashing topic ... and don't forget to look under the ""All grain"" sub-topic at the top (it's organized a bit weird). I think you'll find lots of good info that'll suit your interests.

Regards,
--JB"
Offline GreatLakesStyle  
#27 Posted : Wednesday, September 17, 2014 9:36:16 AM(UTC)
GreatLakesStyle

"This was an awesome answer to the corn question thank you!
GLS"