logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Boozehound69  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2011 8:56:48 AM(UTC)
Boozehound69

Groups: Registered

"First off MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!!! Second, Thanks for taking a look at a nube post! I have been making wine for years and have decided to give this a go. I have several questions on design. This maybe a little long but I assure you I type way slower than I talk so you"re getting off easy LOL....
In my research of this on this and other forums on the net, I have found that most of them said you have to read Making pure corn whiskey, A professional guide for amateur - and micro distillers
by Ian Smiley ISBN 0-9686292-0-2. I have done this and to this end are my questions!

I am using a 15.5 gal ss beer keg with propane heating (a modified turkey deep fryer heating unit)
Going by Mr. Smiley"s design of the column, I have made a change from 1.25 dia to 2 in dia copper just for the ease of buying the clamps to attach it to the keg.

1st question .... Does it make ANY difference in the length of the column...using the larger dia pipe? His plans called for a 45 inch column from top of keg to the TEE, A 12 inch piece to the still head and an 18 inch heat exchanger. Another 3 inch piece with cap on top of tee for thermometer.

By saying does it make any difference does this increase/decrease speed or output or function?
Or am I over analyzing and as long as I keep my temps correct it will work following his step by step process?"
Offline scotty  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2011 9:32:15 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Are you planning to make whiskey/flavored beverage or Vodka/plain alcohol
Offline Boozehound69  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2011 10:52:44 AM(UTC)
Boozehound69

I was thinking more corn whiskey than anything but wouldn't mind making a little rum also.
Offline heeler  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 20, 2011 7:38:15 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"Taller column more reflux less flavor. (goose neck for flavor) That tower length is prob for making fuel but will make neutral likker not flavored.

The bigger diameter the column the more takeoff potential. (if you have a heat source to power it)

Are you over analyzing --yes-- are you gonna build or buy??

And yes - temps are very important as you'll learn."
Offline Boozehound69  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 20, 2011 8:40:03 AM(UTC)
Boozehound69

"To answer your question im planning on building. Goose neck? need to learn the terminology. Are you familiar with the book that I have been studying Listed in ORG post? The still/column that he lists and for all practical purposes uses to make corn whiskey looks like an offset football goal post. I don't know how to describe any better. his still was made with a 12 gallon hot water heater with the ¾ inch hole in top adapted to 1.25 inch
The fractionating column, or reflux column, consists of 114 cm (45"")of 11/4"" I.D. copper pipe. The stillhead is fabricated by soldering an 18 cm (7"") piece of 11/4"" pipe into the 11/4"" tee at the top of the column to form the horizontal part of the stillhead. To the horizontal part of the stillhead, solder a 11/4"" copper elbow facing upward parallel to the column. To the other end of the elbow solder a 30 cm (12"") piece of 11/4"" copper pipe.
All I have done is go to 2 inch as it was easy to find the clamps seals and adapters.So can/should I go shorter on the column and keep the still head and heat exchanger the same"