logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Novice18  
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 09, 2011 1:20:06 AM(UTC)
Novice18

Groups: Registered

"Was just reading you could do a second run with the outputnfromnthe first. My first runs have, believe it or not, been in the 60% range. Yield is typically 20% of what I put in. Example put 1 gallon in, get 1 quart after throwing out the first ounce. Question is if I put in a gallon of 60%, will I yield the same 20-25% of higher abv? Can't seem to find a good yield measure.

Novice"
Offline hawkeyewanabe  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 09, 2011 5:17:01 PM(UTC)
hawkeyewanabe

"I do about the same as you on the first run. Then I take the quart that I collected, add it to about half a gallon of wash, and still it again.
On the second run, I collect a little over a liter before it starts to taste less ""alcoholly"" and more ""bitter."" Then I pull it. It is what guys around here call ""hearts."" It's between 70-80% ABV, but it tastes WAY better than what you collect on the first run.
I continue to collect from the still until it starts to taste watery. I usually collect another half to one pint. It's what guys around here call ""tails."" It contains some alcohol, but it also has all the stuff that cause hangovers and makes your liquor taste like, well, like what corporate america serves us. I add that 1/2 pint to 1 pint of ""tails"" into the next gallon of wash that I distill.
Hope that helps."
Offline Novice18  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 10, 2011 12:59:40 PM(UTC)
Novice18

"Hawkers, thank you. Gonna give it a whirl this weekend.

Novice."
Offline lancehud  
#4 Posted : Friday, October 20, 2017 5:56:07 PM(UTC)
lancehud

Been using an Easy Still for about a year, a few dozen cooks. Here's what I've found to get the most out of my wash. Fill and Start the Still. After 1:05-1:10 toss the first 2 tablespoons and start collecting. After 2:30 I cut to a second container. That first batch is around 60%. At the 3:15 mark I cut to a 3rd container. That second batch runs around 30% alcohol. At the 4 hour mark I turn off the power. The third batch runs around 15%.
Collect the 15% until you have a gallon and cook as per above.
Collect the 30% until you have a gallon and cook as follows: ​Cooked for 3:40, Produced 2 quarts at 72%, Leftover 2 quarts at 2-3% which I toss.
You can cook the first batch that was around 60% again and get 75% but it doesn't seem to help the flavor much if at all so I don't bother. ​Cooked for 3:40, Produced: 2.5 quarts @83% abv, 1.5 qts @ 15% abv was left over