logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Arkie  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 06, 2011 9:02:48 AM(UTC)
Arkie

Groups: Registered

"Hello folks it's been awhile since I was logged in here and so I wanted to share what's been happening.

I'm solar distilling with two glass jars and a panel solar cooker. It's the one on the left side of the pic...

UserPostedImage

It's a two gallon glass jar with lid from Wal Mart ($10) and a gallon glass pickle jar with a bit of copper sheet coiled inside to help with heating and possibly some sort of good reaction for the process, I'm not sure.

Anyway, I have tried a few different wash recipes with this thing and honestly have to say I believe the Turbo Pure 48 sugar wash is so far the best when given a week long 70-72 degree ferment. I do carbon filter it and also wipe out the first bit of condensate that collects in the jar after about an hour from when it starts collecting.

Molasses is added to the wash just before setting it out in the sun since a clear wash will not heat up good enough. As is, it will boil and produce as much product in one afternoon/evening as I got in 24 hours of the Amazing Still.

I have tried collecting off the same wash for two evenings but think it best and better to just go for one evening and toss the rest. I fill the jar in the morning, add the molasses, set it out and come home for lunch to align with the sun and align once more to the West after work and then collect it after the sun has gone down and the jars have cooled a bit.

I'm not taking credit for inventing this thing. Just my twist on Donner's mini solar pot still thread at Artisan Distiller forum crossed with what I knew from messing with the Amazing Still some time ago. I added a mirror, set in front at an angle to help direct the overhead sun.

The bigger jar on the right side is an experiment on heating five gallons. Haven't been able to get it hot enough yet but still workin on it. Needs more exposure ( just getting afternoon sun now) and a clear insulator on the outside but will get 140 degrees from 60 starting out (water) as is in one afternoon. Thanks for looking."