logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Mongoose  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 01, 2011 3:00:39 PM(UTC)
Mongoose

Groups: Registered

"This came out fantastic, still aging but am not sure where it falls in classification.
12 lb. Pale two row malt
1 lb. Peat smoked malt
I mashed at 146 F for one hour. Boiled 15 minutes, then chilled to 68 F oxygenated and pitched with Brewhaus Whiskey yeast. It went from 1.063 to 0.930 which gave me a conversion efficiency of 80%.
Fermented and cleared around 3 weeks.
I ended up with up with very close to one gallon of 55% and added one ounce of American medium toast oak."
Offline Keith13b  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 30, 2011 4:09:09 AM(UTC)
Keith13b

Aruba

Was this recipe for a 6 gallon mash? Just curious!
Offline Mongoose  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 31, 2011 12:39:08 PM(UTC)
Mongoose

Yes, 6 gallon fermentation, 68F controlled temperature, (yield from mash). Later I added 2 Tbs. of Dry Sack Sherry for flavor. Now aging close to 3 months in inside closet.
Offline LWTCS  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 31, 2011 11:37:51 PM(UTC)
LWTCS

"Classification???
Seems obvious to me..........classified as Mongoose's Whisky(ie). There ya go.
Best part about this hobby is you get to do it how ever you want,,,,,or what ever your pantry can support:)"
Offline heeler  
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 14, 2012 3:12:46 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Hey Mongoose, I know this is an old thread but was wondering if you mash the peat with the grain or add it later in the mash to gain flavor that way? Thanks in advance. Oh if anyone else has done this recipe and knows feel free to jump in.
Offline Mongoose  
#6 Posted : Sunday, January 15, 2012 7:31:01 AM(UTC)
Mongoose

Originally Posted by: heeler Go to Quoted Post
Hey Mongoose, I know this is an old thread but was wondering if you mash the peat with the grain or add it later in the mash to gain flavor that way? Thanks in advance. Oh if anyone else has done this recipe and knows feel free to jump in.

Yes is the short answer. However it is not peat, but is peat smoked barley malt. So yes I grind all of my grain together and usually add some rice hulls. Rice hulls add no flavor but do provide space between the grist and improves the drain time. In my mashing I usually constantly recirculate and maintain my ph at 5.5. The standard iodine test will let you know when the conversion is complete
but my usual is 60 minutes 148-152 F for this. All supplies I got at my local brew store, but you can also buy on-line. I aged this in glass 1 gallon jugs for 9 months with 1 oz. of medium toast American oak. Came out as good as any $30 scotch.
Out of a standard 1.063 SG mash I yielded slightly less than 1 gallon of 55% all grain whiskey (Scotch).