logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline mbrue  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 08, 2011 12:27:46 AM(UTC)
mbrue

Groups: Registered

"a very good friend owns a small winery and this last winter was experimenting with a late harvest wine (sorta Ice Wine) and decided that he didn't get what he wanted. He wants me to distill this wine into brandy. Here are my questions.
He has only 5 gallons of the product so do I do a stripping run first and then combine with water for the second run or just do one run? IF I use only one run I know there will be little of the middle run as compared to the heads and tails, do I keep these and use in some other run even if it is not grape wine? I am very new to distillation, have been making beer for years. so the move to distillation has been fairly natural, but I hate to waste his product and know that having several stripping runs and combination of those runs would make a better product.
How would you do this?

Thank All, just as with my other forums for beer brewing, I am amazed with all the help people receive on these forums."
Offline scotty  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 08, 2011 1:46:38 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

I have been fortunate and not gotten a bad batch of wine in years but ill guess at running it in the pot still mode and treating it as any whiskey wash.
Offline div4gold  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 08, 2011 7:06:11 AM(UTC)
div4gold

I've never made any but read about it. What I remember is it's supposed to be distilled very slowly so you get more or the flavor into the distillate. Then it's gonna taste bad until it's aged in a oak cask . The longer the better.
Offline FLBOY  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 26, 2011 6:44:20 AM(UTC)
FLBOY

"I am pretty new at this but I think you just want a single run. I have run 10 gallons of 2 different kinds of wine and after first run I have about 10.5 liters.
With the 2nd 10 gallons I had feints from the first 10 gallons and got some pretty good output. Loose most flavor after running it twice. Next time I am going to use the wine and feints I have and drink the first run so I get more flavor from the wine I am distilling."
Offline FLBOY  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 26, 2011 7:08:33 AM(UTC)
FLBOY

Just to be clear, from 5 gallons of wine I got 5.25 liters. That includes heads, hearts and tails.
Offline mbrue  
#6 Posted : Sunday, March 27, 2011 3:20:48 AM(UTC)
mbrue

I ran a single run and the distillate was surprisingly very grapy smelling. I gave the what I considered the hearts to my buddy, and he is now oaking it. We will see how it turns out.