logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Phildude  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 09, 2011 5:11:09 AM(UTC)
Phildude

Groups: Registered

Hey I was wondering when it comes time to do a second distillation do you still discard the first 50 ml each time? or just the first one or......??
Offline div4gold  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 09, 2011 8:28:39 AM(UTC)
div4gold

just the first one.
Offline Gerald  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2013 5:03:21 AM(UTC)
Gerald

On the second or third distillation how much do you lower the temp on each run, or do you use the same temp?
Offline ratflinger  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2013 1:50:48 PM(UTC)
ratflinger

Alcohol evaporates at the same temp, no matter which run it is.
Offline joseph9936  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2013 2:26:05 PM(UTC)
joseph9936

it will come out approx 173 and you will end up with less heads at the start of it....:-) the difference between the first and 2nd run is you left out the mash stuff the 2nd time. The 2nd time it is just water and alcohol so less to mix with the alcohol during distilling..
Offline AAIndigo  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2013 11:16:04 PM(UTC)
AAIndigo

"Hope you dont mind if I chime in here.

Whats the minumum amount of liquid you can run on a second and third run and what is the ratio of product at the end.
So could I run a gallon and expect 3/4 of a gallon?

AA"
Offline John Barleycorn  
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 14, 2013 12:04:42 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Quote:
it will come out approx 173 and you will end up with less heads at the start of it

That would only be true for the ethanol azeotrope (at sea level), in which case there would be little need for distillation. The temperature is dependent on the abv. Here's hookline's famous phase diagram.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]737[/ATTACH]
John Barleycorn attached the following image(s):
phase.jpg (70kb) downloaded 7 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Offline tigerbait  
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 01, 2013 3:09:07 AM(UTC)
tigerbait

Follow-up question for this thread/topic.

I'm new to home distilling, so please bear with me and forgive my ignorance and inexperience.

I've made vodka with a simple sugar, turbo yeast, and water mash a few times using a fractionating still (PSII). My first few runs yielded around 90% ABV. I'd like to distill this a few more times to increase purity and also see if this makes any changes to the smell and taste profiles.

When doing a second, third, fourth, etc.... distillation, do you dilute the end product with water each time, or do you simply distill what comes out of the previous distillation?

Thanks!
Offline dieselduo  
#9 Posted : Thursday, August 01, 2013 4:12:54 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
yes you need to cut your stripping run. I like 25 to 30% but you can go higher. I'm just not comfortable with anything higher. But don't cut it back to 10 or 12 % which would defeat the purpose of the spirit run. All you are really doing is cleaning up the product a little so collect a few stripping runs to do a spirit run at one time. Hardly worth the trouble to do just one
Offline RCRed  
#10 Posted : Thursday, August 01, 2013 4:45:57 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
The documentation with your PSII says never above 40% abv (or my guide did) to prevent an explosion hazard...

I usually toss my heads and tails from a previous run into a new wash of the same type (Corn=corn, sweet feed=sweet feed). I notice it is smoother, but as Diesel says, it ain worth it on one. Most of the literature says to collect a gallon or three of low wines, combine and then making the spirirt run, low and slow..
Offline tigerbait  
#11 Posted : Thursday, August 01, 2013 6:08:09 AM(UTC)
tigerbait

Thanks dieselduo and RCRed.

When you mentioned 25-30%, are you diluting the output from the run to 25-30% water/75-70% spirit?
Offline dieselduo  
#12 Posted : Thursday, August 01, 2013 6:25:38 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I run the low wines
25-30% ABV
Offline RCRed  
#13 Posted : Thursday, August 01, 2013 1:09:59 PM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: tigerbait Go to Quoted Post
Thanks dieselduo and RCRed.

When you mentioned 25-30%, are you diluting the output from the run to 25-30% water/75-70% spirit?

Originally Posted by: dieselduo Go to Quoted Post
I run the low wines
25-30% ABV
Like Diesel said.. Use a hydrometer to measure where ya are at on the dilution. Cool but it's more like 70% water 30% spirit...70% would be waaay above the 40% maximum stated for your rig.

Charcoal filtering may help you clean up some taste issues too and will yield good results on neutrals.
Offline admin  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 1:30:44 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
A distiller does not *make* anything, so if the foreshots were discarded on the first run they will not be present on the second run, therefore there is no need to discard anything on the second run. The amount to discard also depends on several factors, so using a specific amount as "one size fits all" is potentially unsafe, so it had to be removed. A couple of the major factors influencing the volume to discard are what has been fermented (simple sugar wash = very little (abt 40ml per 6 gallon wash, grain wash considerably more) and the distillation method (reflux will give a more defined fraction, hence less needs to be discarded).
Offline heeler  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 6:39:18 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"
Originally Posted by: Admin Go to Quoted Post
Actually, knightmare, your information was incorrect. A distiller does not *make* anything, so if the foreshots were discarded on the first run they will not be present on the second run, therefore there is no need to discard anything on the second run. The amount to discard also depends on several factors, so using a specific amount as ""one size fits all"" is potentially unsafe, so it had to be removed. A couple of the major factors influencing the volume to discard are what has been fermented (simple sugar wash = very little (abt 40ml per 6 gallon wash, grain wash considerably more) and the distillation method (reflux will give a more defined fraction, hence less needs to be discarded).

With all of that said...thats the very reason that I always advise newbies to discard foreshots every pass through the still, with difference washes or mashes you will get differing amounts of that compound. Now --- until a newbie learns to operate their unit and learns how to collect their distillate and can pick out what each compound smells like it doesn't hurt to remove alittle up front each pass. I'm not saying I'm right or anyone else is wrong it just makes ME feel good to be on the safer side of instruction."
#16 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 9:48:32 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Originally Posted by: Admin Go to Quoted Post
Actually, knightmare, your information was incorrect. A distiller does not *make* anything, so if the foreshots were discarded on the first run they will not be present on the second run, therefore there is no need to discard anything on the second run. The amount to discard also depends on several factors, so using a specific amount as "one size fits all" is potentially unsafe, so it had to be removed. A couple of the major factors influencing the volume to discard are what has been fermented (simple sugar wash = very little (abt 40ml per 6 gallon wash, grain wash considerably more) and the distillation method (reflux will give a more defined fraction, hence less needs to be discarded).

Oh ok. I get what you're saying. Basically you're telling me it really depends on what is being fermented in terms of the amount to discard and that after I do a stripping run that it's really not nessecary to discard the first bit that comes out of the still. I do it any way because it does make me feel better in terms of peace of mind.

Originally Posted by: heeler Go to Quoted Post
With all of that said...thats the very reason that I always advise newbies to discard foreshots every pass through the still, with difference washes or mashes you will get differing amounts of that compound. Now --- until a newbie learns to operate their unit and learns how to collect their distillate and can pick out what each compound smells like it doesn't hurt to remove alittle up front each pass. I'm not saying I'm right or anyone else is wrong it just makes ME feel good to be on the safer side of instruction.

I always will discard the first bit that comes out of the still. Now I am not a newbie mind you, it's just that I haven't done a run in a while for several reasons (health problems/cancer). Thanks guys. I'm just really rusty at it if you know what I mean.