logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Phantom_SixZero  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 25, 2011 3:16:28 PM(UTC)
Phantom_SixZero

Groups: Registered

"Try this: I've done 7 runs of this recipe and it produces an excellent result . But first, a few words about Bourbon whiskey, 'cause ya cant just whip up any whiskey and call it bourbon.

* Bourbon must be made of a grain mixture that is at least 51% corn.
* Bourbon must be distilled to no more than 160 (U.S.) proof (80% alcohol by volume).
* Neither coloring nor flavoring may be added.
* Bourbon must be aged in new, charred oak barrels.
* Bourbon must be entered into the barrel at no more than 125 proof (62.5% alcohol by volume).
* Bourbon, like other whiskeys, may not be bottled at less than 80 proof (40% alcohol by volume.)
* Bourbon which meets the above requirements and has been aged for a minimum of two years, may (but is not required to) be called Straight Bourbon.
* Straight Bourbon aged for a period less than four years must be labeled with the duration of its aging.
* If an age is stated on the label, it must be the age of the youngest whiskey in the bottle.
* Only whiskey produced in the United States can be called bourbon.

In practice, almost all bourbons marketed today are made from more than two-thirds corn, have been aged at least four years, and do qualify as ""straight bourbon"""”with or without the ""straight bourbon"" label. The exceptions are inexpensive commodity brands of bourbon aged only three years and pre-mixed cocktails made with straight bourbon aged the minimum two years. However, a few small distilleries market bourbons aged for as little as three months. <- this might be you

this is my Carolina Bourbon ....and it's fine tastin'
5-6 gallon wash yield.

I Start with 7 pounds of cracked corn, n cook in 4 gallons of good water for at least an hour (i usually go 90 mins) at a low simmer. ...careful not to burn it.
*optional - you may add a half pound of 6-row malted barley while cooking the corn to loosen it up a bit ( this is called pre-mashing) as it gets very thick.
Then cool to exactly 150f.
Pour into a large cooler (helps conserve heat during the mashing session)
Add 3 pounds of 6-row malted barley ...The temp should drop to approx 145f
...stir well every 15 mins, while you mash for 2-3 hours. Keep covered.

* Note: Don't add malted barley to the corn if it exceeds 155f! the enzymes will be denatured in short order and and you won't get no conversion.the mashing process requires that you keep the mash at 145f +/- 5f for the entire duration of the mash session which is why you use the insulated cooler.

*optional - If you want, you can add a lil beano (we'll look the other way)for additional conversion...and let it continue to mash overnight.

At the end of the mash, cool to 80f and transfer to fermenter (grain and all).
Top up to 6-7 gallons total volume.
Aerate well and pitch yeast (Prestige WD or your favorite yeast).
Ferment for a week on grain.
After fermentation is complete, strain out grain, and transfer wash to boiler. No need to let the wash clear.

*Note: I use a 5 gallon nylon paint strainer bag to separate the grain from the wash.

I distilled with my Bok (removed a lil packing so the spirits are 80% )....make appropriate cuts and dilute final spirits to 60% abv using good water.

I oaked at 60% with 2 pcs of my own new charred white oak sticks for 6 months in a glass jar (once again, we'll look the other way if you dont have a barrel). As long as you're using new charred white oak I think you can call it Bourbon.
Once your agin'/oaking is complete, dilute down to 45% and bottle."
Offline mr. x  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 30, 2012 12:56:58 PM(UTC)
mr. x

its against the rules of bourbon but im going to make some and add blue coloring and call it barbershop bourbon and have a picture of a guy drinking the blue stuff out of the comb jar
Offline nchooch  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2012 3:46:11 AM(UTC)
nchooch

"....just for the record, this is my Carolina Bourbon recipe that Phantom graciously provided to yall from the homedistiller.org site .
---

This is an updated version of the original post, mostly just updated for clarity.

Try this: I've done over a dozen runs of this recipe and it produces an excellent result . But first, a few words about Bourbon whiskey, 'cause ya can't just whip up any whiskey and call it bourbon.

* Bourbon must be made of a grain mixture that is at least 51% corn.
* Bourbon must be distilled to no more than 160 (U.S.) proof (80% alcohol by volume).
* Neither coloring nor flavoring may be added.
* Bourbon must be aged in new, charred oak barrels.
* Bourbon must be entered into the barrel at no more than 125 proof (62.5% alcohol by volume).
* Bourbon, like other whiskeys, may not be bottled at less than 80 proof (40% alcohol by volume.)
* Bourbon which meets the above requirements and has been aged for a minimum of two years, may (but is not required to) be called Straight Bourbon.
* Straight Bourbon aged for a period less than four years must be labeled with the duration of its aging.
* If an age is stated on the label, it must be the age of the youngest whiskey in the bottle.
* Only whiskey produced in the United States can be called bourbon.

In practice, almost all bourbons marketed today are made from more than two-thirds corn, have been aged at least four years, and do qualify as ""straight bourbon""&#8212;with or without the ""straight bourbon"" label. The exceptions are inexpensive commodity brands of bourbon aged only three years and pre-mixed cocktails made with straight bourbon aged the minimum two years. However, a few small distilleries market bourbons aged for as little as three months. <- this might be you

This is my Carolina Bourbon ....and it's fine tastin'
5-6 gallon wash yield, scale as desired.
Grain Bill: 7 pounds cracked corn; 3 pounds crushed 6-row malted barley (optional 1 pound malted rye)
I start with the 7 pounds of cracked corn, and cook it in 4 gallons of good water for at least an hour (I usually go 90 mins) at a low simmer. ...be careful not to burn it.

*Note - there are a couple ways to help the corn cook.
You can do a 24 hour pre-soak of the corn with a couple gallons of boiling water, this will help with cooking. ,just toss the corn in a cooler and pour the water on top and cover,. or use a couple gallons of boiling backset, this not only helps with cooking but the acidic nature of the backset seems to release extra starch from the corn (for more sugar conversion).
Also, BigR has a stepped corn cooking method that works really well (heat to 130F pause 30mins, heat to 165F, pause 30mins, heat to 200F, pause 30mins. Done.

*optional - you may add a half pound of 6-row malted barley while cooking the corn to loosen it up a bit ( this is called pre-mashing) as the corn gets very thick.
Then I cool it to exactly 150f, and pour into a large cooler (this helps conserve heat during the mashing session)
Then add 3 pounds of crushed 6-row malted barley ...The temp should drop to approx. 145f
...stir well every 15 mins, while you mash for 2-3 hours. Keep it covered.

* Note: Don't add the malted barley to the corn if it exceeds 155f! The enzymes will be denatured in short order and you'll get poor conversion of the starch. The mashing process requires that you keep the mash at 145f +/- 5f for the entire duration of the mash session which is why you use the insulated cooler.

*optional - If you want, you can add a couple crushed Beano tabs as well (we'll look the other way) for additional conversion...and let it continue to mash overnight.

At the end of the mash, cool to 80f and transfer to fermenter (grain and all).

** Top up with water to 6-7 gallons total volume. (You'll lose some liquid when you remove the grain after the ferment)
Aerate well and pitch yeast (Prestige WD or your favorite yeast).
Ferment for a week on the grain.
After fermentation is complete, strain out grain, and transfer the wash to your boiler. No need to let the wash clear.

*Note: I use a 5 gallon nylon paint strainer bag to separate the grain from the wash.

I've distilled this with my old Bok (removed a lil packing so the spirits are approx. 80% ) and also with my 3"" flute....make appropriate cuts and dilute the final spirits to 60-62% abv using distilled water( it's possible to cloud your spirits with anything else).

I'll usually oak at 60% with 2 pcs of my own new charred white oak sticks for 6 months or more in a glass jar, but I've also had some very good success using a 5 liter oak barrel for 4 months...and I feel it would've been even better at 6 months. (Once again, we'll look the other way if you dont have a barrel). As long as you're using new charred white oak I think you can call it Bourbon.
Once your agin'/oakin' is complete, dilute down to 45% (again with distilled water) and bottle.

...like I said, it's fine tastin .
a slightly earthy, woody smell with vanillas in it.
And a nice cherry /vanilla/oaky taste that goes down really smooth

Cheers,
NChooch"
Offline LWTCS  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2012 5:46:07 AM(UTC)
LWTCS

There ya go marking the trees round yer space!
Offline nchooch  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2012 9:02:12 AM(UTC)
nchooch

Tongue

Copying with my name is alot different than copying without my name .
Nuff said.
Offline nchooch  
#6 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2012 10:19:55 AM(UTC)
nchooch

The optional rye really adds some additional depth to the flavor , more complexity and a little spiciness . ..highly recommended.
If you use this , feel free to followup and let us know how you like it.
Offline nchooch  
#7 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2012 11:22:17 AM(UTC)
nchooch

LOL ...what makes you ask that?
I can honestly say I've never been hung over on any booze I've made.
Offline Mkjt88  
#8 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2012 11:43:31 AM(UTC)
Mkjt88

Sounds like some good stuff. Still haven't had the chance to get my hands on any white oak. I only age a jar maybe two from my runs on wood but I use cherry instead till I can get the oak. It's not to bad. As time goes and I get more into this hobby I'd like to try some more technical stuff like this instead of simple washes I whip up real fast.
Offline nchooch  
#9 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2012 12:33:51 PM(UTC)
nchooch

White Oak grows wild from Georgia to Canada, and from the Atlantic to Missouri ...
If you can't find some at your local saw mill, get your hands on a used wine or whiskey barrel (half) ....take it apart and use pieces of the staves for aging.
Offline ohyeahyeah  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2012 10:40:05 AM(UTC)
ohyeahyeah

Around here at least most wine making shops sell oak staves, though they are pretty spendy.

Tried this recipe several times only substituting 1.5lbs of barley for rye. Also found using a pound for "pre-mashing" really helps keep the cooked corn from forming into a big gelatin ball.
Offline Moby  
#11 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2013 6:27:55 AM(UTC)
Moby

Assuming I take my time, invest in all the right equipment (I'm new and have purchased nothing yet) is this a recipe a noob could do?
Offline nchooch  
#12 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2013 5:59:55 AM(UTC)
nchooch

"
Originally Posted by: Moby Go to Quoted Post
Assuming I take my time, invest in all the right equipment (I'm new and have purchased nothing yet) is this a recipe a noob could do?

Sure it is ....it's science, but it aint rocket science. Wink
do a little reading in advance so you sorta understand what you're doing and why ...then take your time, and pay attention to the details and it should turn out fine."
Offline Matteaux  
#13 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2013 4:02:43 PM(UTC)
Matteaux

"Curious if you need to let corn sprout first of if you did what would happen? If I threw a few lbs of brown surgar in as well would it help? Posted a similar idea and really glad to see your recipe. Thanks

Matteaux"
Offline jwells  
#14 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2013 12:31:12 AM(UTC)
jwells

i used the reciepe above and the mash has all but stopped fermenting after 36 hours. i sirred it about every twelve hours, and keep it around 80 degrees F. any ideas?
Offline nchooch  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 6:59:49 AM(UTC)
nchooch

"
Originally Posted by: jwells Go to Quoted Post
i used the reciepe above and the mash has all but stopped fermenting after 36 hours. i sirred it about every twelve hours, and keep it around 80 degrees F. any ideas?

you stirred the fermenting mash every 12 hours? That's definitely not necessary and could subject the beer to an infection. Anyway, have you checked a sample of the beer with a hydrometer? ...It could be done.
...or maybe you have a leak in the cover and that's why the airlock is no longer bubbling.
Confused"
Offline cypherlock  
#16 Posted : Friday, February 22, 2013 1:57:58 PM(UTC)
cypherlock

"
Originally Posted by: nchooch Go to Quoted Post
....just for the record, this is my Carolina Bourbon recipe that Phantom graciously provided to yall from the homedistiller.org site ....

This sounds like something a city boy down in Raleigh might be able to do, so I'm gonna give it a try! :-D"
Offline flht01  
#17 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2013 5:12:57 AM(UTC)
flht01

I just finished fermenting this recipe (on the grain) and have a quick question before running it. I managed to squeeze out a good bit of the wash that the grain bill had absorbed and even though I used a fine mesh grain bag it's still got a lot of solids suspended. How long can I let this settle without taking a chance on it going bad? It's in the fermenting buckets with a lid but has been exposed to the atmosphere (actually violated severely when squeezing it out) and considering the amount of work I'd sure hate to see it spoil.
Offline RCRed  
#18 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2013 6:36:31 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
If everything used to make the siphon and squeze was sterile, and the target bucket(also sterilized) has an airtight lid, you are good for quite a while. I leave it at least a few days after siphon to settle, and then I use my autosiphon to draw from bucket/carboy into a cheese cloth (or paint bag) over the boiler opening to charge. I read on HD that once siphoned into a glass carboy it can last weeks....

I've left them as long as two weeks till I had time to make the run and prep the next SF wash (using backset from the run).
Offline flht01  
#19 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2013 7:13:03 AM(UTC)
flht01

Thanks for the reply, RCRed. Everything but the (new) grainbag was clean (even washed my handsWink) before squeezing the grain. It finished out dry at 1.00 ( in less than two days ) and has a fairly strong alcohol smell even though the og was 1.038+- and indicated a weak conversion (may have had too many solids in the tube when I checked it). Not expecting much alcohol but still don't want to see it go to waste.

thanks again
Offline RCRed  
#20 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2013 10:47:09 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Heya flht01

I spray everything with Star-san to ensure a sterile surface, even on the grain bags and my hands. I'm really particular about keeping my areas sterile. Anal, some might call it.

It should be fine.