logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline PopcornsFriend  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 24, 2010 2:44:59 PM(UTC)
PopcornsFriend

Groups: Registered

"I'm new to the forum and should introduce myself. I'm a documentary photographer and have been doing my art for forty two years. My specialty is the vanishing culture in Appalachia in the area where I live. Over time I've photographed moonshiners, serpent handling in church, KKK cross burnings, cocke fights and such.

The first moonshiner I ever met was Lawt Gudger who lived in middle Tennessee on Monteagle Mountain. Lawt had been crafting corn whiskey for about forty years when I ran across him leaning up against a log on a dirt road waiting for a customer to arrive to deliver his spirits. Lawt lived on the mountain and never strayed more than 50 mies from his home in the 80+ years of his life.

The last moonshiner I worked with was Popcorn Sutton. I spent a great deal of time photographing his personal life and his business operation. I spent a great deal of time in the still house photographing his stills, him and his still hands making whiskey. I was with popcorn the day his still house caught fire and burned to the ground. The fire was the result of a PO'd still hand, 250 gallons of gasoline under 100 pounds of pressure, many propane cylinders and about 2000 gallons of high proof whiskey. The net result was his arrest.

In working with Popcorn I talked him into writing out his recipe for sour mash likker. I have that hand written recipe and have become interested in duplicating his whiskey as close as I can. Unfortunately he took his life before I had a chance to get answers to a few questions. Thats why I'm here.

I have nearly a thousand images of Popcorn in various settings and thought you would like to see a couple.

The shot of Popcorn by himself is standing between two of his stills. the one on the right was finishing off a run and was 140 barrels in capacity. Another is partly visible on the left and was slightly larger. He was fermenting in that one at the time. Behind the wall was the big one at 160 barrels which was 9ft tall with the top on. You can see him on the scaffold talking to me. Notice the size difference. I'm 240 pounds and popcorn weighed in at 85 pounds at that time.

For your info the still was a green bean cooker bought surplus from Stokely cannery and the condenser he used was shotgun type custom made from copper. He told me he paid $1500 or each. He ran one still running, one working mash and the other being prepped for a new run almost constantly.

(I ask that you not use these photos. I own the copyright and I must grant written permission before anyone can use them. This is how I earn my living and hope everyone will respect that.) If you're interested in seeing more I have an exhibition touring museums for the next few years. The museum of East Tennessee History can provide the locations where you can see it. the name of the show is ""Vanishing Appalachia"". I'm also working on procuring a grant to produce a coffee table book of images of Popcorn, digitally recorded soundtracks from Popcorn and some of his writings and writings about his life that few ever knew."
PopcornsFriend attached the following image(s):
Popcorn Sutton134.jpg (41kb) downloaded 0 time(s).
DD and Popcorn126.jpg (38kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Offline div4gold  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 24, 2010 3:24:16 PM(UTC)
div4gold

That's quite a story. What did Popcorn sell those gallon jugs of shine for?
Offline PopcornsFriend  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 24, 2010 4:30:51 PM(UTC)
PopcornsFriend

Regular whiskey was $25/half gallon and aged in charred oak was $50. He had a waiting list for the aged. He had quite a business going. I personally saw around 2000 gallons ready to sell at the whiskey shack. I know he had another 1800 in North Carolina and a stash in a false wall in an old house that he owned. After his death I stayed in touch with his widdow and told her about the stash. When the folks renting the house moved out she pulled the boards off the wall to find almost all the whiskey had evaporated around the lids on the jugs. I have about two gallons and two pints of kick ass cherries remaining. Two of the jugs are signed by him.

Popcorn was one smart and very complex guy. I'll share more stories later.
Offline daven  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 18, 2011 3:00:14 PM(UTC)
daven

Would love to hear more, great stories.
Offline JDEE  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 08, 2011 5:25:46 PM(UTC)
JDEE

Would like to hear more.
Offline BigDawg  
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 29, 2011 8:41:26 AM(UTC)
BigDawg

Like to here more about Popcorn & more photos
Offline Lightning Jim  
#7 Posted : Monday, January 02, 2012 1:13:39 PM(UTC)
Lightning Jim

A true legend and A tragic loss to our community. He was A friends neighbor their property backed up to one and other. I almost met him but I got there A week too late.
Offline PopcornsFriend  
#8 Posted : Monday, January 02, 2012 1:16:51 PM(UTC)
PopcornsFriend

Sorry to hear you didn't get to meet him. He certainly was one of a kind. He was the Conl Sanders of moonshine.
Offline tom smooth  
#9 Posted : Monday, January 16, 2012 12:05:16 PM(UTC)
tom smooth

Love the popcorn question on beer stripping can any help me .?
what is the blue green residude that is left on the coffee filter when straining
Offline Lightning Jim  
#10 Posted : Monday, January 16, 2012 12:13:06 PM(UTC)
Lightning Jim

Never had anything like that, you have any pics?
Offline PopcornsFriend  
#11 Posted : Monday, January 16, 2012 3:00:47 PM(UTC)
PopcornsFriend

"I have tons of pix. I have a book coming out very soon with 70 photos of Popcorn and his operation. I'll let everyone know. It went to the printer today for a proof print. It will be 72 pages of professionally written text and I'm a professional photographer and the images are excellent. Price will be $27.95. Plus shipping.

Thanks!"
Offline BigDawg  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2012 8:47:35 PM(UTC)
BigDawg

Whats going to be the name of your book? think i may have to order one.
Offline PopcornsFriend  
#13 Posted : Thursday, January 19, 2012 7:21:50 AM(UTC)
PopcornsFriend

"""Popcorn Sutton the making and Marketing of a Hillbilly Hero""

We probably will sell through through amazon as well as several other outlets. We will be selling direct as well. I'll update as soon as this is final. The price is looking like it will run $27.95 plus shipping and any tax if you live in Tennessee.

The version we will sell through stores and direct will be a better printed version of the book. Amazon is good on the printing but the printer we are using is excellent and the paper is much nicer. Finishes size is 8x8 inches and 72 pages with 70 images. Most are B&W but a few color as well. It's a really nice book and goes beyond the legend."
Offline tom smooth  
#14 Posted : Friday, January 20, 2012 10:32:48 AM(UTC)
tom smooth

I only get the blue residue in the coffee filter after it dries out and only filter my low wines if I get a white looking fuzz in them. The white looking fuzz seems to appear in the late tails and pouring them through a coffee filter will take them out. I'm sure its a chemical. Not good at all this tech stuff but maybe my kid can help me post a pic. Thxs
Offline div4gold  
#15 Posted : Friday, January 20, 2012 10:48:11 AM(UTC)
div4gold

"
Originally Posted by: tom smooth Go to Quoted Post
I only get the blue residue in the coffee filter after it dries out and only filter my low wines if I get a white looking fuzz in them. The white looking fuzz seems to appear in the late tails and pouring them through a coffee filter will take them out. I'm sure its a chemical. Not good at all this tech stuff but maybe my kid can help me post a pic. Thxs

Getting off topic, but is the blue green residue from running your distillate through the coffee filter?"