logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Tinman  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2010 4:27:03 AM(UTC)
Tinman

Groups: Registered

I used a suger wash a couple of times in a reflux still it came out great clean as water. ran it only once never did a stripping run it came out 162 proof put threw the stone carbon filter but: my ? is it still smells a little like turpentine. can I get rid of this smell? If I run it again with baking soda
water? {the heads and tails are the worst of course} or should I not be so picky. I know some people would love to just get it to this point.
Offline mtnwalker2  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2010 5:06:14 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Originally Posted by: Tinman Go to Quoted Post
I used a suger wash a couple of times in a reflux still it came out great clean as water. ran it only once never did a stripping run it came out 162 proof put threw the stone carbon filter but: my ? is it still smells a little like turpentine. can I get rid of this smell? If I run it again with baking soda
water? {the heads and tails are the worst of course} or should I not be so picky. I know some people would love to just get it to this point.

162 proof is way low for a reflux run. Did you make cuts? Yes, I would run it again with bakeing soda, slower with more reflux. Collect in small amounts as to make the cuts the next day. Be strict as you can rerun the feints again later.

And you need to cut to 100 proof before filtering."
Offline Tinman  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2010 6:08:14 AM(UTC)
Tinman

I have a two inch column on a 15 gallon keg with plenty of copper mesh and racket rings, run at 174-176 temperature five hours so do you think I should run it again with the baking soda and water, and yes I have collecting 11 one liter jars.
Offline ratflinger  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 20, 2010 3:42:23 PM(UTC)
ratflinger

How long did you reflux? Without running a strip then your reflux is doubly important. + everything MW2 said