logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline mtnwalker2  
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 19, 2010 9:30:28 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

Groups: Registered

"As I mentionioned recently, I bough a second High Capacity column, the keg kit and it is way superior to my old one. I use the 6"" 2X3"" recucer attachment for the Keg that i use. I have a 224,000 BTU/hr propane burner, so very quick heat up, then cut to almost no flame at all for the run. I am almost embarrased to say how I do this. I use the old bottom half, packed, then the new unit on top. Thus, I have a 3"" column, 6' high, and the reducer of 6"" for 6'6"" tall column. Diameter of the column equals speed of distillation, heigth equals quality. I can actually throw enough heat to get the same speed output as a simple fast pot still run, but get 95 plus %ABV output. The cuts are like night and day, bright sunshine vs. midnight. I total reflux for the first 15 min. or so, which is enough to totally seperate and layer the heads in the bigger column. Take off the heads relatively slow, but way fast relative to smaller columns. The hearts are a solid stream. the reflux is so intense the tails are really minimal. The cut is very distinctive. I can run this as fast as a stripping run in one pass.

If doing a brandy or other flavored distillations, I still do the stripping runs, then the slow spirit runs to capture the flavor, though if well cured I have sometimes used 2 of the 4 cooling tubes, a bit of copper packing around them for some reflulx and one or 2 copper coils unerneath. Just the top half of the HC column. Easier to make cuts, and one pass does it.

And now I also cheat on my ferments. I will put in 3 to 4 inches of cracked corn with 10 to 12 # of sugar. Add 1/2 tsp of citric acid, A one dollar packet of EC1118 yeast or equivelent. A 50# bag is about 6.50 here. Makes a super and sweet neutral. Replace about half of the corn from the top after racking and reuse the yeast over and over. I don't use backset for neutral. Can't get much cheaper or easier than that. Takes a few days longer for the ferment then the settling. I have plenty of fermenters. Cheap issue.

Mtn."
Offline just_me  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 20, 2010 4:47:50 AM(UTC)
just_me

If your grandchild would adopt me I would then be a great grandchild and you could watch me enjoy your beverages.
Heres to hoping.
Just Me
I degaussed my girlfriend and I "m just not attracted to her anymore
Offline mtnwalker2  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 20, 2010 11:21:51 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Originally Posted by: just_me Go to Quoted Post
If your grandchild would adopt me I would then be a great grandchild and you could watch me enjoy your beverages.
Heres to hoping.
Just Me
I degaussed my girlfriend and I "m just not attracted to her anymore

Just me. You have been immediatly adopted into the family. Have changed the protocal a bit. Now the ancesters will make the ehiskey and age and store it for the older

member. Welcome to the family and get busy.

Mtnwalker, who tries to fight his way through the woods to get a blackberry or elderberry. Somehow I do.

Blessings,"
Offline just_me  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 22, 2010 8:01:54 AM(UTC)
just_me

Now I know how Steve Martin felt When He said "The new phonebooks are here" I have arrived.My still is singing as I type.I have some neutral sitting on cherry wood and some with red & green apples,cinamin,raisens,allspice,nutmeg, and cloves.See you at Sliding Rock in the spring.
Your Loving great grandson,
Just Me
A hangover is the wrath of grapes.
Offline mtnwalker2  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 22, 2010 9:03:22 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Originally Posted by: just_me Go to Quoted Post
Now I know how Steve Martin felt When He said ""The new phonebooks are here"" I have arrived.My still is singing as I type.I have some neutral sitting on cherry wood and some with red & green apples,cinamin,raisens,allspice,nutmeg, and cloves.See you at Sliding Rock in the spring.
Your Loving great grandson,
Just Me
A hangover is the wrath of grapes.

I will look forward to that meeting at slliding rock. Huge thunderstorm underway here with the echoes around the mountains, but just a few brief showers so far.

Glad Steve Martin isn't the Fire Chief here. With that nose I would be in big trouble.

As for the hangover with wine, on another distiller forum there is a fellow with Jusus holding a glass of wine at the Last Supper. The footnote read why stope here? Eliminate the hangover with quality cuts on super good brandy.

I love brandies, but thats Just Me, OOOPS i meant mtnwalker.

PS. the food sight forum Scotty sent really seems interesting for any that likes cooking, I joined. Heck of a friendly forum and really great recipes/ Seems very much an online family of friendships.

John, the mountain walker"
Offline scotty  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 22, 2010 9:24:26 PM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

"PS. the food sight forum Scotty sent really seems interesting for any that likes cooking, I joined. Heck of a friendly forum and really great recipes/ Seems very much an online family of friendships.

Just mention my name and make enemies imidiately. lol lol smoking various foods is one of our main sicknesses.

UserPostedImage

Home made pastrami and corned beef
UserPostedImage

dutch oven bread-old worl style
UserPostedImage

my ricketty home made cheese press
UserPostedImage"
Offline scotty  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 22, 2010 9:26:24 PM(UTC)
scotty

"jerkey
UserPostedImage

pasta

UserPostedImage

queso blanco

UserPostedImage"
Offline mountainsparky  
#8 Posted : Sunday, September 26, 2010 12:55:14 AM(UTC)
mountainsparky

Food Forum???? WOuld anyone mind sharing it with me. I am a bit of a fire/smoke cook.
mountainsparky attached the following image(s):
100_4569.jpg (95kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Offline scotty  
#9 Posted : Sunday, September 26, 2010 7:02:13 AM(UTC)
scotty

"
Originally Posted by: mountainsparky Go to Quoted Post
Food Forum???? WOuld anyone mind sharing it with me. I am a bit of a fire/smoke cook.

OK HERE IT ISOhMyGod
REGISTER AND ASK QUESTIONS> These folks are as helpfull as are the ones on this website.

http://deejaysworld.net/deejayssmokepit/yabb/YaBB.pl

introduce yourself also please--its a very complete website for food making types.

BigGrinBigGrin"
Offline scotty  
#10 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2010 9:38:45 PM(UTC)
scotty

"
Originally Posted by: mountainsparky Go to Quoted Post

Is that a stuffed chicken breast in your avatar?"
Offline mountainsparky  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 8:38:24 PM(UTC)
mountainsparky

Apple wood smoked chicken breast stuffed with Honey Ham, Capicola, swiss and provalone cheese and glazed in an oriental style orange sauce sir.
Offline scotty  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 11:09:29 PM(UTC)
scotty

oh gosh that one would get lots of attention on DJs Smoke pit forums