logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline PortRoyal  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 17, 2010 2:57:26 AM(UTC)
PortRoyal

Groups: Registered

Maker's Mark has become my favorite Bourbon, and they use wheat instead of rye or barley as their 2nd primary ingredient after corn. Wondering if using wheat with molasses for a rum recipe would instill a little of the taste in Bourbon? For kind of almost a rum with a near bourbon taste/feel. Anyone try this, or have any idea how it would turn out?
Offline mtnwalker2  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 17, 2010 3:42:25 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Originally Posted by: PortRoyal Go to Quoted Post
Maker's Mark has become my favorite Bourbon, and they use wheat instead of rye or barley as their 2nd primary ingredient after corn. Wondering if using wheat with molasses for a rum recipe would instill a little of the taste in Bourbon? For kind of almost a rum with a near bourbon taste/feel. Anyone try this, or have any idea how it would turn out?

Hi Port Royal,

Here's a recipe you might want to try. Make the preliminary boil for the wheat germ recipe: Boil 6 gal. of water. Turn off heat. Add 8# sugar and 1 teaspoon citric acid. When well dissolved turn on heat and when it begins to simmer add the jar and half, 18 oz of wheat germ. Simmer for 90 min. Add 8# cracked corn to fermenter and pour the hot mix over it. Add cold water to the 24 liter mark. Let cool to pitching temp. Aereate well and pitch some EC 1118 yeast or equiv. Distillers yeast works well also. You can filter out the wheat germ prior to fermenting. Strip and rerun in pot still with cuts. Age on oak till it suits you. This makes an excellent whiskey even white dog. You can treat it like an UJSM for up to 3 iterations, by removeing the spent corn and replacing it with fresh, add all the backset and more sugar. There will be plenty of nutrients and flavor still there.

Caution: Do not airlock. I put a dry large sponge over the airlhole and place it into a spare tub. The ferment is really fast and violent and will sometimes overflow with foam.

Properly aged, this is supurb!"
Offline PortRoyal  
#3 Posted : Friday, September 17, 2010 3:55:56 AM(UTC)
PortRoyal

Thanks, can you substitute sugar with molasses? I have access to cheap molasses, and I am trying to come up with a rum bourbon hybrid, thanks again.
Offline mtnwalker2  
#4 Posted : Friday, September 17, 2010 4:10:35 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Originally Posted by: PortRoyal Go to Quoted Post
Thanks, can you substitute sugar with molasses? I have access to cheap molasses, and I am trying to come up with a rum bourbon hybrid, thanks again.

No reason why not. I would add the mollasses to the boil then let it cool overnight allowing unfermentable solids to settle then rack off the wash and filter the wheat germ as you go. Might make a very interesting whiskey-rum."
Offline LWTCS  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 17, 2010 11:08:34 AM(UTC)
LWTCS

"and a spoon full of orange blossom honey per 750

Man that sounds like a nice lil experiment."