logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline apw100  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 13, 2010 5:07:39 PM(UTC)
apw100

Groups: Registered

"Due to my location, I will need to use a hot plate as my heat source. I will be mainly using this as a pot still, but reflux capability would be nice and I am looking to distill around 5 gallons per run.

What is the best distilling solution for me?"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 14, 2010 5:19:29 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Originally Posted by: apw100 Go to Quoted Post
Due to my location, I will need to use a hot plate as my heat source. I will be mainly using this as a pot still, but reflux capability would be nice and I am looking to distill around 5 gallons per run.

What is the best distilling solution for me?

The very best is the High Capacty column whith the new type boiler. For pot stilling the 3"" column and the much longer condensor speeds things up and still get great cuts and results. Its a time saver."
Offline apw100  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 14, 2010 7:20:01 AM(UTC)
apw100

So a 1500w hot plate would be sufficient for use with the Hi Capacity column and Premium boiler?
Offline scotty  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 14, 2010 8:20:48 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

"
So a 1500w hot plate would be sufficient for use with the Hi Capacity column and Premium boiler?

If you want more wattage you could have brewhaus install a 1 inch NPT coupling into which you could insret various wattages and voltages of hot water heater elements

UserPostedImage"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 14, 2010 9:17:17 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Originally Posted by: scotty Go to Quoted Post
If you want more wattage you could have brewhaus install a 1 inch NPT coupling into which you could insret various wattages and voltages of hot water heater elements

UserPostedImage

Been thinking about his for myself during the cold winter times. I can somewhat compensate it with insulalion, but once got so cold in a matter of hours every thing froze,.
My question and issue is, if doing stripping runs then spirit runs will i have a build up on on the elecrtrodes? How often do you have to clean them? How to. and what do you use? I like to do brandy wash and such so would have deposits. Interested in electrical replies!!!

Propane cooker, Mtnwalker2

Old as the hills and twice as dusty."
Offline scotty  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 14, 2010 3:43:43 PM(UTC)
scotty

"I have a 6kw 240 volt element supplied by a dual voltage output controll. the 240 is for heat up and then it has a toggle to switch to 120volts variac controlled for the run. a 240 volt variac alone would have been sufficient but building the gizmo is the fun for me.
I think the 240 volt variac would have not cost any more than the components but again its a hobby and i do these things over a period of months. The new brewhaus boiler and that swamp cajun are to blame for my spending soo much $$$. But its been worth it.
this is the setup that will get the 3 inch column after the basic mods are made then i will use my 2 inch columns on the mile high boiler that i am upgrading from.

s far as cleaning, i would just flush it-- i only use clarafied wash in my stills."
Offline heeler  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 15, 2010 2:01:09 AM(UTC)
heeler

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"mw2, you would have a buildup if you did'nt clean them, all I do is reach in the boiler (after its cool of course) and wipe the element with a rag. It seems to clean up just fine. I have never sensed any nasties left behind. Hope this helps.
Scotty, that is one hell of a welding job on the kettle. I did my own and thought it was good but that one is mui bueno........."
Offline scotty  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 15, 2010 5:57:01 AM(UTC)
scotty

As for the welding, I had them do it at brewhaus when i purchased it. I will also ask for special mods when i get my 4 \3 inch tower.
Offline normbal  
#9 Posted : Friday, October 29, 2010 3:40:53 AM(UTC)
normbal

"
Due to my location, I will need to use a hot plate as my heat source. I will be mainly using this as a pot still, but reflux capability would be nice and I am looking to distill around 5 gallons per run.

What is the best distilling solution for me?

If you're still deciding, I just posted an ad on the homedistiller forum, PM me and I'll get you the details.

Norm"