logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline PortRoyal  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 03, 2010 8:05:55 AM(UTC)
PortRoyal

Groups: Registered

"Anyone have any tips on speeding up the aging process? I have heard to use small barrels. Wondering if increased heat and pressure works too, since they usually put barrels in a hot warehouse and say the hotter areas are best.

Also, haven't done this yet but will be experimenting with making ""tea bag"" type of things using charred wood chips, maybe charred walnuts and other materials, to dip in the liquor kind of like you would a tea bag when making tea. Anyone have any other thoughts or suggestions along these lines??"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 03, 2010 11:28:40 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"Damn, Ie or Yahoo keeps locking down on me. Spent forever replying and it wouldn't send save or anything. So once again:

easy to speed up ageing. Put your charred wood , sticks or chips into a jar with you mash or wash. Put in freezer during the night and a warm, hot place during the day. Acts the same as the seasonal climate change in the oak kegs in sheds. Each change open jar to allow O2 to enter. Its like a whole year happening in just a few days.

Heres an idea I have had, but haven't tried yet. Cut charred sticks long enough to fit into a mason jar with just a quarter inch sticking out above the liquid level. Use a food saver or such to vacuum seal the jar. Wait 10 min. or so and release vaccuum. Repeat as oft as needed. I do this to marinate chicken, beef and other meats. Instead of say 18 hours of marinating, it can be done in only minutes.and actually better and deeper. You would make an intense vaccum within the oak to draw the alchohol into it. Then when released the alchohol would be forced out with whatever it had gained. Plus O2 being added each time. I am definatly going totry this during the winter when I have time. If anyone wants to try it now, please post results.

Port Royal, Try some apple wood and other fruit woods. Apple is stronger andquicker than white oak. All ageing woods should be bone dry. To do so quikly, cut into sticks or shave into chips. Freeze them unsealled so the moisture will form ice crystals. Place them into a hot well ventillated area or n sun ouside to evaporate. Continue till dry. Doesn't take long. As a check, place some wood in a sealed zip lock while frozen, then into a hot or sunny spot and see if any moisture sighns appear. Best to use heartwoods and not sap woods if possible.

Young tender walnuts or butternuts makes great schnapps.

Do not use walnut wood for this. Contains toxins. The nuts are fine though.

Just the mountain walker perambulating around. Found some bear scat yesterday, could smell it a hundred feet away. No, not using it for a flavor. May use the maker for a main meal.

Have fun folks, I am."
Offline just_me  
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 04, 2010 7:51:28 AM(UTC)
just_me

Thanks a lot mtnwalker,now I am thirsty and hungry.Those are some great ideas.never had bear but I would love to try it.
Just Me
"a curve is the sexiest distance between two points."
Offline PortRoyal  
#4 Posted : Saturday, September 04, 2010 12:12:43 PM(UTC)
PortRoyal

Thanks those are some great ideas, will be trying these but will be a few months before I can post the results. Anyone else?
Offline PortRoyal  
#5 Posted : Sunday, September 05, 2010 3:54:58 AM(UTC)
PortRoyal

Question mtnwalker, you saying to put wood chips in the mash not the spirit or better to do both?
Offline mtnwalker2  
#6 Posted : Sunday, September 05, 2010 5:08:24 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Originally Posted by: PortRoyal Go to Quoted Post
Question mtnwalker, you saying to put wood chips in the mash not the spirit or better to do both?

Sorry, Only into the spirit.

Every one is trying to speed up their ageing process. Me, I'm trying to slow mine down."
Offline popapina  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 07, 2010 7:10:58 AM(UTC)
popapina

"Only Time will tell !
popapina"
Offline Sparky  
#8 Posted : Friday, January 14, 2011 3:24:14 PM(UTC)
Sparky

I put a piece of white oak in a pint of spirits, around a 120 proof. The next day at room temp, it was turning a black color and creating some black residue in the bottom of the jar. Is this normal? The piece of Oak is only about 1/2 X 1/2 X 3" long. Should I just strain it through a coffee filter?
Offline tikisteve  
#9 Posted : Friday, January 14, 2011 3:31:19 PM(UTC)
tikisteve

Where did the white oak come from?
Offline div4gold  
#10 Posted : Friday, January 14, 2011 3:31:44 PM(UTC)
div4gold

"
Originally Posted by: Sparky Go to Quoted Post
I put a piece of white oak in a pint of spirits, around a 120 proof. The next day at room temp, it was turning a black color and creating some black residue in the bottom of the jar. Is this normal? The piece of Oak is only about 1/2 X 1/2 X 3"" long. Should I just strain it through a coffee filter?

Wait until it gets an amber color then you have to strain it through a coffee filter. You can leave it quite a while in the oak, just seems to get better."
Offline Boats  
#11 Posted : Sunday, January 23, 2011 5:08:06 PM(UTC)
Boats

"Actually, the bear is great. I suggest the utilization of one who has been dinning regularly on blueberries in late fall. Black bear is preferable to thier hump shouldered brown or blond cousines, though away from salmon runs they can be very good too. :)

The grain of oak lends itself to the aging of spirits over many other woods. Should you take a length of oak, putting one end in water, you can generally suck water through it like a rather restricted straw. This greatly facilitates the exchange of the liquid with the essence of the wood.

The change that occurs in a good spirit is dramatic. If a few days" works wonders while on toasted oak chips, a week or more is unbelievable. A couple of whole cloves in the mix adds a great deal to a spirit that is a little light on the esters too.[/FONT]"
Offline ratflinger  
#12 Posted : Monday, January 24, 2011 3:37:02 AM(UTC)
ratflinger

If you check the home brew & home wine makers shops you will find plenty of toasted oak. Various levels of toastiness is available. They will also stock fining agents & such to help clean sugar washes. Don't know Rick's policy on links, but my favorite store is finevinewines (add www & .com appropriately). Look at their online catalog & you'll see Oak & also Fining agents.