logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline kvenable  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 31, 2010 9:38:31 PM(UTC)
kvenable

Groups: Registered

"I toasted and charred some apple wood chips wrapped in foil on the pit while I was cooking bbq.

I took 2 pints of neutral from a sugar wash I ran, cut it to 95 proof.

Put chips in pint jars and poured in the neutral. 48 hrs later...voila...scotch.

I wasn't sure what I was going to get...it was just an experiment.

Its a little strong
95 proof but real smooth. I'm sure there are real scotch recipes but this was too easy."
Offline jojo  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 13, 2010 7:49:40 AM(UTC)
jojo

"
Originally Posted by: kvenable Go to Quoted Post
I toasted and charred some apple wood chips wrapped in foil on the pit while I was cooking bbq.

I took 2 pints of neutral from a sugar wash I ran, cut it to 95 proof.

Put chips in pint jars and poured in the neutral. 48 hrs later...voila...scotch.

I wasn't sure what I was going to get...it was just an experiment.

Its a little strong
95 proof but real smooth. I'm sure there are real scotch recipes but this was too easy.

Interesting story, I didn't know that you could use apple wood chips for bbq, I've wondered what to do with the pruning from my apple, pear, cherry and peach trees."
Offline mtnwalker2  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 13, 2010 11:27:00 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Originally Posted by: jojo Go to Quoted Post
Interesting story, I didn't know that you could use apple wood chips for bbq, I've wondered what to do with the pruning from my apple, pear, cherry and peach trees.

Each of these are excellnent flavors. You can use them green for the grill, but better if dried and soaked in water. For ageing spirits much better dried ,quick dried as i have posted before, and medium toast.

Because thes woods are open or cross cut cell structure as opposed to white oak, long grains stucture which is needed for keg strenghth and slow osmosis, these woods are quick fast and strong. I just toast and not char them for best results. Add just a few dried herbs for special flavors. Forget about store bought flavors and go for your own.

I have made some really nice whiskey and brandies that have never been manufactoured commercially in the last century or so. Special fun and flavors to share. And yes, apple wood grilling mixed with oak or hickory gives special flavors. And nothing will ever beat a standing rib roast or othe beef roast that is wrapped in papaya fruit and seeds, then the leaves and baked till done. So tender, its like eating gelatime, but still has the tast and texture of beef.

I have an excalubar 9 tray dehydrater, i just got last week. In the midst of dehyrating watermellon which is the best taffy like fruit ever. Food eats and treats, but will also dehydrare elderberries and such"
Offline jojo  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 13, 2010 11:48:52 AM(UTC)
jojo

"
Originally Posted by: mtnwalker2 Go to Quoted Post
Each of these are excellnent flavors. You can use them green for the grill, but better if dried and soaked in water. For ageing spirits much better dried ,quick dried as i have posted before, and medium toast.

Because thes woods are open or cross cut cell structure as opposed to white oak, long grains stucture which is needed for keg strenghth and slow osmosis, these woods are quick fast and strong. I just toast and not char them for best results. Add just a few dried herbs for special flavors. Forget about store bought flavors and go for your own.

I have made some really nice whiskey and brandies that have never been manufactoured commercially in the last century or so. Special fun and flavors to share. And yes, apple wood grilling mixed with oak or hickory gives special flavors. And nothing will ever beat a standing rib roast or othe beef roast that is wrapped in papaya fruit and seeds, then the leaves and baked till done. So tender, its like eating gelatime, but still has the tast and texture of beef.

I have an excalubar 9 tray dehydrater, i just got last week. In the midst of dehyrating watermellon which is the best taffy like fruit ever. Food eats and treats, but will also dehydrare elderberries and such

Dang! Now I'm hungry!"