logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline davemchine  
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 29, 2010 3:54:39 AM(UTC)
davemchine

Groups: Registered

"I am looking for a small and simple to use distiller. I would like to make rum primarily and maybe vodka. The Mr. Distiller appeals to me because of it's small footprint and it appears it would not need a lot of babysitting.

I've had difficulty verifying I can make rum in the mr. distiller though so I'm hoping someone here can verify for me. I would be open to something that would sit on top of a stove as long as it wasn't huge and didn't require me to stand in front of it for 6 hours straight. I am a beer brewer so I have a nice stove in the garage.

So question 1) can I make rum in the mr. distiller, 2) is there a forum for recipe's and 3) what SMALL and SIMPLE stove top unit might be an alternative?

Thanks"
Offline davemchine  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 29, 2010 4:04:30 AM(UTC)
davemchine

Looks like the mili hi 3 gallon distiller would be the primary competition. I'm not sure what advantages it would have but I'm hoping someone here can fill me in.
Offline just_me  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 30, 2010 3:23:22 AM(UTC)
just_me

you cant make a quality rum or vodka with the Mr distiller.the mighty mini looks better. i am a bit concerned about the height and i didn't see the diameter of the column.PLEASE don't ever leave a still unattended.when the fire department shows up you will be charged with production.
Just Me
Did you ever notice that when you blow in a dog's face, he gets mad at you, but when you take him on a car ride, he sticks his head out the window?
Offline Schue  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 31, 2010 11:38:21 PM(UTC)
Schue

I have heard nothing good about the Mr. Distiller. If anything, go with the mile-hi 3 gallon still. You need to be attending the still in order to mind your cuts as well as possible fire. If you want a good rum, go with a pot still.
#5 Posted : Monday, February 03, 2014 9:40:27 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

The Mr. Distiller is a bad bet. The mighty mini from Milehigh Distilling is 2 inches in diameter and 20 inches tall with a reflux cooling jacket. I have their pot still version of that tower which is the exact same only no cooling jacket. You can use Brewhaus' PSII tower's top half (PSII is a 2 piece tower) on Milehigh's 3 gallon boiler. Right now Milehigh Distilling has a month long back log on their towers and the milkcans won't be availible till mid to late febuary.
Offline Hokey  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 03, 2014 10:41:22 AM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi Davemchine. Ok here I go on my sticking up for the Air-still again. I actually have two of them. (don't ask). I should add that I don't use it that often as I have upgraded. They are correct that you cannot make a decent vodka with one. They are just pot stills and very small at that. I have however made some very good whisky with one and if you can make whisky you can make rum. Yes cuts are very small and yes it takes a long time to run through a 5 gal ferment but it can be done. If you are not sure you want to play this game they are a relatively cheap and easy way to find out if this hobby is for you. Also good for experimentation on small batches. With the Brewhaus pot you still need to have a heat source. Electric kitchen stoves don't work well at all. Either way Good luck, Have fun and be safe.
#7 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 5:22:45 PM(UTC)

Well it looks like I might have to get that Mr. Distiller after all. The 3 gallon boiler is still not availible. That and from what I've seen over at Brewhaus' website, it's sold out. I'll do a review thread about it to let people know. I can't keep waiting on this 3 gallon boiler.
Offline heeler  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 2:39:12 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Something else you could think about...go look at a beer keg! Huh you say....they came in every size or volume you can think of, I have em from 6 gallons to 15 gallons and that stainless makes a great boiler. Of course you will need a tower but you'll need that with whatever boiler you choose. It's easy to connect and add electric if you want.
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 7:50:18 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: heeler Go to Quoted Post
Something else you could think about...go look at a beer keg! Huh you say....they came in every size or volume you can think of, I have em from 6 gallons to 15 gallons and that stainless makes a great boiler. Of course you will need a tower but you'll need that with whatever boiler you choose. It's easy to connect and add electric if you want.

Hi Heeler,
I've just checked and they're still out of stock on the 3 gallon boiler. I really don't have the space for a 6 gallon boiler and I've already got a 15 gallon premium kettle from Brewhaus. I also have 2 towers. I've got the 2 inch pot still head from Milehigh and the PSII from Brewhaus. I want something smaller that doesn't take up alot of space and will allow me to make small batches. I'll keep you guys posted as best as I can.
Offline Hokey  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, February 19, 2014 1:25:11 AM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi Knightmare1015. Air Stills are a fun little thing to have. When time and space are an issue They work fine. As said before, making cuts is difficult but it's all in the math. One gal of wash still has the same percentage of fores, heads, hearts and tails as 5 gals. And they are simple to use, Just plug and play. I also have a PSIIHC 15 gal boiler and a 7 1/2 gal keg but use my air still every now and then also. Have fun and be safe.
#11 Posted : Wednesday, February 19, 2014 7:59:46 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Hokey Go to Quoted Post
Hi Knightmare1015. Air Stills are a fun little thing to have. When time and space are an issue They work fine. As said before, making cuts is difficult but it's all in the math. One gal of wash still has the same percentage of fores, heads, hearts and tails as 5 gals. And they are simple to use, Just plug and play. I also have a PSIIHC 15 gal boiler and a 7 1/2 gal keg but use my air still every now and then also. Have fun and be safe.

High Hokey,
Yeah those are my thoughts. The PSII standard did really good with water last year when I tested it. I've not been able to run a batch outdoors in months because it's been way too cold and I've got reconfigure my set up as well.
#12 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2014 12:44:29 PM(UTC)

Well this past thursday (march 6th) , I phoned in an order for a 3 gallon stainless steel milkcan boiler. It shipped out today and should arrive on this coming friday (March 14th) . Once it's here, the only things that I'll need is a 1500 watt hotplate and a 10 gallon storage container for cooling the condensor on my tower. Basically what I'm doing is setting up a table top distillery. I'll start a new thread and explain what's needed to set one up.