logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline PortRoyal  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2010 1:44:26 AM(UTC)
PortRoyal

Groups: Registered

I was thinking why wouldn't honey make an excellent mash? It is similar to molasses I would think in that it has a lot of sugar. Has anyone done this using honey? I haven't even seen a commercial product using honey, very curious about this, on paper it seems like it would be an excellent product, but don't know, thanks.
Offline mtnwalker2  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2010 2:09:03 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Originally Posted by: PortRoyal Go to Quoted Post
I was thinking why wouldn't honey make an excellent mash? It is similar to molasses I would think in that it has a lot of sugar. Has anyone done this using honey? I haven't even seen a commercial product using honey, very curious about this, on paper it seems like it would be an excellent product, but don't know, thanks.

there are lots of great recipes for Mead. Great as is, or you can distill a type of brandy from it. Honey has gotten so expensive lately. Many beekeepers have lost their bees due to colony collapse disorder and have gone out of business.

And no, 5 and 6 1/2 gal. runs are not commercial sizes, but gives a person better control over the quality of their products end result. But small can work for learning. I like to make enough that I can use fruits like cherries, strawberries apples, walnuts etc. for different schnapps, or use some essences for a huge host of different whiskeys rums, liquers etc. ie a well stocked bar to suit the mood or occasion."
Offline PortRoyal  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2010 2:40:56 AM(UTC)
PortRoyal

So the liquor would be considered "mead" if made from honey? And technically not a rum? Yes I thought about the costs as well, I wasn't sure what the prices on honey were lately.

I have seen a recipe for rum that used molasses and honey.

BTW, has anyone tried "Mead" I'm going to look for it today, I haven't seen it in most stores.

Wiki has a good article on Mead, it is apparently fairly rare not usually mass manufactured that much in the US. Wiki also has a huge list of Mead variations made mostly in Europe and Asia, interesting.
Offline mtnwalker2  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2010 3:06:42 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
So the liquor would be considered ""mead"" if made from honey? And technically not a rum? Yes I thought about the costs as well, I wasn't sure what the prices on honey were lately.

I have seen a recipe for rum that used molasses and honey.

BTW, has anyone tried ""Mead"" I'm going to look for it today, I haven't seen it in most stores.

Wiki has a good article on Mead, it is apparently fairly rare not usually mass manufactured that much in the US. Wiki also has a huge list of Mead variations made mostly in Europe and Asia, interesting.

The mead is the fermented wine? that is sold like beer or cider. If fermented, it is more like a brandy. There are some commercial ones on the market, most made in Europe i think."
Offline PortRoyal  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2010 3:18:53 AM(UTC)
PortRoyal

Yeah, but I saw a way to distill a harder liquor from it, kind of like brandy, by freezing it and draining the liquid from the freeze, or something like that.
Offline mtnwalker2  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2010 3:29:55 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"

That was done a lot with hard cider. When I was a kid, I loved the cider when it got really fizzy and drank too much of it a couple of times. Made the world spin around. I now use that freeze distilling in the winter. I will set my finished ferment out in the freezing cold. This will settle the yeast and allow it to clear quicker. But I also take a slotted spoon and skim off the slushy ice as it forms to concentrate the batch. My winter stripping run without heat. It still has all the bad congeners in it"
Offline BlakeGash  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2012 1:00:22 PM(UTC)
BlakeGash

I have done a fair bit of mead consuming, if done right it should go down like water and leave you lickin your Los for a few minutes. A decent starting place would be Barenjager honey liquor. I myself am a mead purist, honey water Nd yeast is all you should need man.
Offline BlakeGash  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2012 1:01:28 PM(UTC)
BlakeGash

I have done a fair bit of mead consuming, if done right it should go down like water and leave you lickin your lips for a few minutes. A decent starting place would be Barenjager honey liquor. I myself am a mead purist, honey water Nd yeast is all you should need man.