logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline blodgee  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 02, 2010 10:34:04 AM(UTC)
blodgee

Groups: Registered

"I am keeping thingd simple as possible and using the Easystill.
My mash is quite clear in my 5gal glass carboy but not like water.You can't see through the carboy.
I use Sparkolloid to get it really clear but I was wondering if this is really neccessary or not? Would the final product be the same either way?"
Offline LWTCS  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 02, 2010 10:38:47 AM(UTC)
LWTCS

Don't think "clear",,,, Think "Cleaner"...............But not clear.
Offline blodgee  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 02, 2010 10:55:11 AM(UTC)
blodgee

"
Originally Posted by: LWTCS Go to Quoted Post
Don't think ""clear"",,,, Think ""Cleaner""...............But not clear.

So what's the answer? Yes it needs to be cleaner, as clean as possible with the Sparkolloid or no it sounds clean enough and will give the same results as without the clearing agent?"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 02, 2010 11:15:25 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Originally Posted by: blodgee Go to Quoted Post
So what's the answer? Yes it needs to be cleaner, as clean as possible with the Sparkolloid or no it sounds clean enough and will give the same results as without the clearing agent?

Preferably no solids, even as small as yeast. Color is fine, but especially in a glass carbouy you want to see light through it. Well unless its a really dark rum or such. Clean is all the solids settled to the bottom. If in doubt give it an extra day or 2. A better and flavor and run will be the gift."
Offline LWTCS  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 02, 2010 11:27:32 AM(UTC)
LWTCS

"Yes, What MW2 said.

If you have the room. Rack to the refridgerator. Cold helps clean/clear it nicely."
Offline mtnwalker2  
#6 Posted : Monday, August 02, 2010 12:04:47 PM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Yes, What MW2 said.

If you have the room. Rack to the refridgerator. Cold helps clean/clear it nicely.

Works wonders. I never have room in the fridge or deep freeze, but thats exactly what I do in the winter. In fact I do my stripping run this way. Cold night or day, below freezing i will set the fermenter out and let it freeze some heavy slush at the top. With a slotted spoon sift off the icy mush and let it drain and toss. You can taste it, its nothing more than water and the heavy oils, Yep, getting rid of some of the nasty tails at the same time. Done right its better than a stripping run and no cost for heat. When its just cold, I will set it out overnight and bring into heated room and it will settle and clear very quick. Stir the co2 out before hand helps."
Offline LWTCS  
#7 Posted : Monday, August 02, 2010 12:20:27 PM(UTC)
LWTCS

Modified way to jack your beer. I like it............Cept I live in the tropicsRollEyes
Offline mtnwalker2  
#8 Posted : Monday, August 02, 2010 12:58:27 PM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Modified way to jack your beer. I like it............Cept I live in the tropicsRollEyes

As a kid we had a really efficient fridge useing alchohperfect for this. no waste and cheap. I have a propane backup fridge. But like the alchohol stoveAND better."
Offline Chore Chunk  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, August 03, 2010 9:38:05 PM(UTC)
Chore Chunk

"I wouldn't say clear as gin but clear to where it wasn't cloudy, if in a glass carboy you should be able to read a paper through it or if in a bucket easily see the bottom. I just racked 20 gallons of wash and 10 gallons of mead and they all looked like ice tea.

I normally let mine ferment for two weeks then clear for a week and rack with hot sparkalloid, then let sit for another few days. Temps make a difference and only put the clearing agent in to speed things up."