logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline starchild  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 19, 2010 1:42:00 AM(UTC)
starchild

Groups: Registered

When making bourbon or rye do you ferment with the grains or without? what is the difference in taste? I think you would get more alcohol with the grains right?
Offline heeler  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 21, 2010 6:57:00 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"You are gonna be happier with a cooked mash when you remove the grains after cooking and before fermenting. As far as more alcohol -- I dont think so. You can ferment on the grain if you boil your water and pour it over the grains, add the melted sugar water to the grains and let it cool before adding yeast. Now this is really a sugar wash that you are trying to get grain flavor with and it does work somewhat.
Now... with a grain mash - you heat the grains in water hold for a period of time (1.5 hours for conversion) and then DRAIN the water into the fermenter.
But not with the grains, I did it once and it was terrible but I might have screwed it up. The two recipes above havent failed to satisfy yet."
Offline Eekamouse  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2010 9:23:49 AM(UTC)
Eekamouse

"I created a mash of approximately 30% malted rye, 10% malted 6 row barley (the rest in my sack), and 60% cracked corn. I dumped the mix (sans the barley) into filtered water to bring it to a temp. of 148F to convert some of the rye starches. After 90 minutes I slowly brought the mix to a boil to cook the corn, left it for 60 minutes, then back to to conversion temp, where I mixed the barley. After another 90 minutes to convert the barley and corn starches, I cooled to 75F or so and poured it into my fermenter, along with a pack of turbo yeast, ON THE GRAINS. My OG was around 1.05

All this to say that after 2 days of vigorous bubbling, and a final gravity of 1.005, what resulted was a fairly viscous, distinctly cheesy and sour (but not unpleasant) smelling mash. I filtered it through a fine mesh fitting in my funnel, and distilled it in a single column still with about a quarter gallon of extra water because I thought its thickness might cause scorching.

No scorching, but still cheesy. And not appetizing.

I wanted to recount my experience with on-the-grain fermenting in case it helps anyone, and also to see what errors were in my process. I have little idea what my mashes should smell like, but chose to move on to another mash.

I am just starting, and now realize an all grain mash (especially with a solid amount of rye) might not have been the best for a beginner. But there you have it. Any critiques will be very appreciated.

Thanks"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2010 10:03:27 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"The rye doesn't need the long boil that the corn does to gelatinize it starch. I would just add it when I shut off the heat. I always let mine sit a few extra days till it clears and all settles. Then i rack it off. I push the tube down into the grain bed which will also act as a filter. Maybe add a little acid to the mashing process. Otherwise everything sounded right.

Water oak makes great grilling wood.

Originally Posted by: Eekamouse Go to Quoted Post
I created a mash of approximately 30% malted rye, 10% malted 6 row barley (the rest in my sack), and 60% cracked corn. I dumped the mix (sans the barley) into filtered water to bring it to a temp. of 148F to convert some of the rye starches. After 90 minutes I slowly brought the mix to a boil to cook the corn, left it for 60 minutes, then back to to conversion temp, where I mixed the barley. After another 90 minutes to convert the barley and corn starches, I cooled to 75F or so and poured it into my fermenter, along with a pack of turbo yeast, ON THE GRAINS. My OG was around 1.05

All this to say that after 2 days of vigorous bubbling, and a final gravity of 1.005, what resulted was a fairly viscous, distinctly cheesy and sour (but not unpleasant) smelling mash. I filtered it through a fine mesh fitting in my funnel, and distilled it in a single column still with about a quarter gallon of extra water because I thought its thickness might cause scorching.

No scorching, but still cheesy. And not appetizing.

I wanted to recount my experience with on-the-grain fermenting in case it helps anyone, and also to see what errors were in my process. I have little idea what my mashes should smell like, but chose to move on to another mash.

I am just starting, and now realize an all grain mash (especially with a solid amount of rye) might not have been the best for a beginner. But there you have it. Any critiques will be very appreciated.

Thanks
"
Offline Eekamouse  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2010 10:19:28 AM(UTC)
Eekamouse

"Thanks again, mountainwalker.

I'd say I definitely cooked it for too long. Once in the fermenter, it was just too viscous. The grains never settled out from the liquid. Ahh well, a good lesson."
Offline starchild  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2010 1:11:42 PM(UTC)
starchild

"My 1st wash was 100% rye malt. Gooey as hell. It had the consistency of latex paint. Burned the mashtun, and burned in the stripping run. Aging on oak sticks and smells and tastes like cigarettes. I guess it was too dam thick.

I just made my second wash of 60% flaked corn, 20% rye malt and 20% distillers malt. Or 12lbs flaked corn, 4lbs rye malt & 4 lbs distillers malt = 20 lbs in 10 gals of water. I added 2 tbsp 5.2 ph stabilizer, 2 tspn amylase enzyme, 20 grams Amylaglucadase enzyme, 60 grams Distillers Nutrients, & fermented at 78 degrees with Nottingham Ale yeast. It took off like a rocket and fermented from 1.064 down below 1.000 within a week."
Offline Eekamouse  
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 30, 2010 11:35:11 AM(UTC)
Eekamouse

"My rye is all of the above as well. Having, for whatever misinformed reason, chosen to distill my premier mash as a 100% rye, I learned several lessons. This accumulated knowledge from trial and error was perfectly summed up in the smell that issued forth from my wretched cauldron.

I will describe it as best I can so that this batch can serve as a beacon to those whose naive ignorance may take them down a similar path that leads to what must be at least the 7th level of distillation hell. I am by no means experienced, but my aromatic imagination can't muster up any smell that could be all that much worse than this.

First of all I flamed the bejesus out of my propane burner, immediately guaranteeing that anything, possibly even distilled water, would have lit on fire inside of my keg. My rye goo/mash/mucous definitely did. After a jump in temperature from 130 to 180 in less than 15 seconds, a quick drip began.
Rye whisky?
Nay.

What came out should never have been put on this earth. It was as if some demon that ate only cigarette butts and drank only napalm and wood stain vomited into my little canning jar. It's the caliber of smell that puts your body on such high alert that you seem to catch traces of it everywhere afterwards. I have it in a tightly sealed jar as a reminder to learn from my mistakes. Maybe if I have it exorcised it will mellow down. I think I can smell it through the glass..."
Offline mtnwalker2  
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 30, 2010 12:58:01 PM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"Ok folks, I have already posted I like to cheat. So here goes on several grains.

I have a Crankenstein roller mill. Others are good also. I buy organic groats, white millet, ryeand wheat. Run them through the through the roller mill, just a slight crush not a complete crush.Ie. barely cracked. The millit doesn't need cracking. Its soft.

Do a UJSSM on any of them with some distillers yeast with AG. Strip runs then do a spirtit run. you will be pleased. then age on oak."
Offline starchild  
#9 Posted : Friday, October 01, 2010 1:58:05 AM(UTC)
starchild

"
Originally Posted by: Eekamouse Go to Quoted Post
My rye is all of the above as well. Having, for whatever misinformed reason, chosen to distill my premier mash as a 100% rye, I learned several lessons. This accumulated knowledge from trial and error was perfectly summed up in the smell that issued forth from my wretched cauldron.

I will describe it as best I can so that this batch can serve as a beacon to those whose naive ignorance may take them down a similar path that leads to what must be at least the 7th level of distillation hell. I am by no means experienced, but my aromatic imagination can't muster up any smell that could be all that much worse than this.

First of all I flamed the bejesus out of my propane burner, immediately guaranteeing that anything, possibly even distilled water, would have lit on fire inside of my keg. My rye goo/mash/mucous definitely did. After a jump in temperature from 130 to 180 in less than 15 seconds, a quick drip began.
Rye whisky?
Nay.

What came out should never have been put on this earth. It was as if some demon that ate only cigarette butts and drank only napalm and wood stain vomited into my little canning jar. It's the caliber of smell that puts your body on such high alert that you seem to catch traces of it everywhere afterwards. I have it in a tightly sealed jar as a reminder to learn from my mistakes. Maybe if I have it exorcised it will mellow down. I think I can smell it through the glass...

I smelled my swill as soon as I walked down to the basement, even tho it was in capped jars inside a cabinet. What I have learned is that you need to use more water to loosen it up, use boiling water infusion to raise the temp, not a burner, clarify it after fermentation and make sure it's not too thick. I will try again because I just won't give up till I get it right."
Offline mtnwalker2  
#10 Posted : Friday, October 01, 2010 2:49:00 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"Good fellow.
Rye was our nations favorite whiskey till corn made its debut. George Wahington was the largest producer in America.

And the Canadians still make an excellent product.

I just do the non cook method anymore. Pretty good that way also."
Offline starchild  
#11 Posted : Friday, October 01, 2010 3:08:04 AM(UTC)
starchild

So how clear is it when you run, and do you use gelatin or something else to clear it? Thanks
Offline mtnwalker2  
#12 Posted : Friday, October 01, 2010 3:25:10 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Originally Posted by: starchild Go to Quoted Post
So how clear is it when you run, and do you use gelatin or something else to clear it? Thanks

I have a lot of fermenters, so I just use time. I do almost all my brewing in the winter when I have more time. For the grains I usually use distillers yeast with AG and the extra time allows a bit more conversion. Or if I want to push it, I will set it outside to cold shock it, then bring it back into a warm room and it will clear fairly fast. The more clear it is, the cleaner your hooch will be."
Offline tikisteve  
#13 Posted : Friday, October 01, 2010 10:01:36 AM(UTC)
tikisteve

"I made an all rye whiskey a few years back using the flaked rye.
The first time I let it ferment too long (10 days)and since the abv was too low it went bad. It smelled like rotten meat or really good cheese. (I didn't add any sugar, I just used the rye starch and converted it and the abv was around 4.5%.) The second time I tried it, I did the same but after 5 days I racked it allowed it to settle and then distilled it.
I aged it on some med. charred oak for about the same time I aged my corn whiskey and boy was it harsh. I let it set for another couple of months and it mellow out nicely."
Offline mtnwalker2  
#14 Posted : Friday, October 01, 2010 11:14:44 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

Again, I am a cheap and lazy cheat. i gave up on doing flaked grains, fully boiled grains and such. Just wasn't worth the hassle. And the ABV was always low. I started doing sweet mashes. Whole grains cracked in my crankenstein roller mill, only heated to the point of still being easily sparged, not a porrige. Did the mash and checked the OG. Added sugar to get the OG up to 1088 or so and sent it to the fermenter. All blind tests agreed it was better than the raw or just as good. Its illegal for the commercial guys to do it this way, but it sure works for me. All the grain taste, ease of working it, and much more product for me too age and keep.
Offline heeler  
#15 Posted : Sunday, October 03, 2010 7:26:41 AM(UTC)
heeler

mw2.....I concure, not on the lazy part but on the just as good part. I really did try to do it the RIGHT way but just as yo say it just was'nt worth the hassle. Nowthen the latter of the two does work just as good and is sooo much easier. (Cause that poridge is a bi--h to strain.)
Offline Eekamouse  
#16 Posted : Sunday, October 03, 2010 10:01:36 AM(UTC)
Eekamouse

"I am doing a no cook rye next as well. I love a good rye whisky. Maybe down the road a bit I'll try the all-grain rye mix again.

Thank you for the advice everyone."
Offline mtnwalker2  
#17 Posted : Sunday, October 03, 2010 10:24:46 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"For any that are determined to do the porridge mash. Stir in a big bunch of rice hulls. Makes the filtering much, much easier and faster.

I did put my mash into 2 equal sized paint strainer bags, then put them on opposite sides of my centrifigul honey centrifuge slinger. That really worked well and fast.

But I still like the no cook!"
Offline bjjfiter  
#18 Posted : Monday, December 27, 2010 2:10:58 PM(UTC)
bjjfiter

I'm new to all of this, and I've been using the flaked and crushed grains from Brewhaus. I added 2 lbs. of corn sugar I had left over from some beer kits, just to make the mash a bit sweeter. One of the grains I used was the Golden Promise malt. I am trying to experiment with recipes since I'm a cook and a natural tinkerer.

It was a real pain trying to strain the grains from the liquid, but I finally did it. I definitely got a gummy mash but it's a labor of love so I don't mind. I added water by washing the grains in cold water and then straining that. I used the Prestige Whiskey yeast and threw in a capsule of nutrients as well as a crushed multivitamin. I'm probably doing something wrong, but I tend to trust my instincts.

Fermenting seems to be going well; nice smell coming out of the airlock and a steady bubbling. I'll post updates if anyone's interested. I just got my EE II from Brewhaus and I'm excited to put it to use.

I just know I'm going to screw something up eventually, but I'm really trying to get this right.
Offline heeler  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, December 28, 2010 1:28:58 AM(UTC)
heeler

"Dude, if you never screw anything up you aren't doing it enough. Messing up a mash is how we learn the hard way. You know -- dont do it that way again -- and take lots of notes.
If you follow any recipe a couple times and THEN tinker with it, you can pick up on what works and what wont. So many folks have worked out the issues of all the recipes that tinkering will only mess with your mind until you can look at it and say --oh yeah thats why that happened. Remember....a shitty mash or wash will only make shitty hooch. And if you add a whole bunch of extras to the wash that the yeast doesn't NEED, its a waste of money anyway."
Offline Mongoose  
#20 Posted : Friday, February 11, 2011 2:20:04 PM(UTC)
Mongoose

"
Originally Posted by: starchild Go to Quoted Post
My 1st wash was 100% rye malt. Gooey as hell. It had the consistency of latex paint. Burned the mashtun, and burned in the stripping run. Aging on oak sticks and smells and tastes like cigarettes. I guess it was too dam thick.

I just made my second wash of 60% flaked corn, 20% rye malt and 20% distillers malt. Or 12lbs flaked corn, 4lbs rye malt & 4 lbs distillers malt = 20 lbs in 10 gals of water. I added 2 tbsp 5.2 ph stabilizer, 2 tspn amylase enzyme, 20 grams Amylaglucadase enzyme, 60 grams Distillers Nutrients, & fermented at 78 degrees with Nottingham Ale yeast. It took off like a rocket and fermented from 1.064 down below 1.000 within a week.

Go to your local brew supply house and get some rice hulls this will separate the goo problem and let the wort circulate in your mash. You may have to use several pounds with 100% rye. I always use some to prevent a stuck mash as I use a constant recirculation in my brew system (beer). The rice hulls will not change the flavor in any way they just add space between the grains. This is especially useful in mashes that have rye, or corn and only lets the wort pass through the grain bed during recirculation or sparging. I am new to this but have been an all grain beer brewer for 20 years."