logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Ridge runner  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 20, 2010 2:25:58 AM(UTC)
Ridge runner

Groups: Registered

"I regularly make various fruit wines, primarily blueberry, and occasionally, for various reasons, end up with an undrinkable product. I currently have several gallons of pear wine that fall into that category - it's just too sweet and cloying for my palate. So, after sitting in my cellar for several years, I've decided it's time to turn it into brandy.

I've run a test batch through a table top still which turned out excellent and am now ready to try a larger batch with a PS II. Does anyone have experience distilling aged wines, ie: temps, column packing, additives, single vs double runs, etc?

One recipe I saw for grape brandy recommended a fast first run keeping everything to about 20-25% abv, then a slow second run, discarding the first 150 ml, and collecting to about 30%. Does this sound about right?

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Salud!"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 20, 2010 2:58:10 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Originally Posted by: Ridge runner Go to Quoted Post
I regularly make various fruit wines, primarily blueberry, and occasionally, for various reasons, end up with an undrinkable product. I currently have several gallons of pear wine that fall into that category - it's just too sweet and cloying for my palate. So, after sitting in my cellar for several years, I've decided it's time to turn it into brandy.

I've run a test batch through a table top still which turned out excellent and am now ready to try a larger batch with a PS II. Does anyone have experience distilling aged wines, ie: temps, column packing, additives, single vs double runs, etc?

One recipe I saw for grape brandy recommended a fast first run keeping everything to about 20-25% abv, then a slow second run, discarding the first 150 ml, and collecting to about 30%. Does this sound about right?

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Salud!

A friend of mine, when growing up in Germany, helped with the runs of pear brandy. Thiers were always single runs. More intense flavor.
Personally, I would strip it fast, then pot still it with a single roll of copper. Collect in small jars, allow to air overnight and then combine to taste."
Offline LWTCS  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 20, 2010 11:46:53 AM(UTC)
LWTCS

"I am almost certain my good friend over yonder would recommend a brutally slow single run through the potstill.

Pear flavors are delicate and difficult to get to come across. Twice through would get a crisp alcohol, but the pear would get stripped away I fear.

Or, take your first run and dilute with some pear necter and run to get your pear flavor profile.

Maybe even add a few ounces of pear necter to the bottle."
Offline Ridge runner  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 21, 2010 6:01:23 AM(UTC)
Ridge runner

"Thanks for the feedback folks.

LWTCS, could you be more specific about ""brutally slow""? Maybe a temp range?

I'm new to the Spirit World and the terminology can be a bit confusing for a beginner.

Thanks."
Offline LWTCS  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 21, 2010 10:11:56 AM(UTC)
LWTCS

"Ok, so, I run a potstill. It's a crazy hybrid, but a potstill none the less.

Potstills are the best possible tool for rendering flavored spirits, as potstills are not,,,,,,,,,,(how to say),,,,,,efficiant.

Reflux columns do a much better job of separating the alcohol from the congeners. Therefore reflux columns are more efficiant at rendering (alcohol) purity as such.

So some of us like a little congener or two in our drank (raise your handWink).

The trick to flavored spirits is to collect enough of the congeners in the last of the head and beginning of the tails to get the flavours, but not enough to make it undrinkable. Although I usually stir clear of the heads.

By going slow or ""brutally slow"" during one run, you should be able to capture the desirable congeners and get nice proofy distillate as well. This takes practice.
By running twice (with a reflux rig especially), you get a more pure spirit with less (if any) flavor.

ABV is not the only measure of quality for gents running flavored spirits. And lets face it, lots of gents are diluting back down to ???? anyhow.

Sorry I can not comment on temps, as running a potstill does not require that One should be mindful of the temperature. The potstill and ABV within the charge will determine where the temps will be at any given moment during a run.
I am only mindfull of the discharge stream size and that gets controlled through input as such."
Offline mtnwalker2  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 21, 2010 10:58:53 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"LWTCS is exactly right. Also as he an I have posted many times collect in small increments. Cover each jar, numbered with coffee filters and allow to air for at least 24 hours. Start at the middle jar and work each way. Dilute a teaspoon of each jar and taste and smell. Put a bit into your hand and rub together and smell. Wash hands and rinse mouth each time. Go down, then up with the jars to make your cuts to taste. Combine as you go. When you have a bit of each final heads, for whiskeys, first heads for rums, combination or each for brandies, cut a spoonful and taste. Add more heads or tails as desired for more flavors.

If you are going to age on toasted or charred oak, you can add a bit more as that will mellow them out. Adds flavor, but also a bit more hangover. If you are prone to that. still if one is careful nothing like the box store stuff.

A lot of the fun is makeing it just he way you like it best."
Offline LWTCS  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 21, 2010 11:46:27 AM(UTC)
LWTCS

"
Originally Posted by: mtnwalker2 Go to Quoted Post
A lot of the fun is makeing it just he way you like it best.

To be sure.

What I have said BTW is riddled with holes and left out info.

There is a feller over yonder that de-tunes his reflux unit and confidently describes how he runs a light rum (which he prefers) and I am convinced that his light rum would be a nice pleasure to sip.

What I would consider ""brutally slow"", other distillers consider a typical collection rate.

There are so many variables so get some runs under your belt so that you can aquire your own thoughts.

Another method for ensuring a good flavor carry over would be to hold back a quantity of wash. Strip the main body then add back the remaining wash to the spirit run.

I run a thumper, so at times I will charge my thumper with a bit of wash.

There are so many ways to run and layer the complexity of your likker.

And thats why the big boys keep their strategies proprietary.

Did I put the vodka/nuetural crew to sleep yet?BigGrin"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, April 21, 2010 1:25:01 PM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"One of these days I am going to bypass my condensor and go to a thumper, and then to a worm coil in a barrel of water as the condensor. I just want to try it with my oats and millet washes. Perhaps rye also. Will see how that does before I try brandies. Split brandies are the king of drinks.

Originally Posted by: LWTCS Go to Quoted Post
To be sure.

What I have said BTW is riddled with holes and left out info.

There is a feller over yonder that de-tunes his reflux unit and confidently describes how he runs a light rum (which he prefers) and I am convinced that his light rum would be a nice pleasure to sip.

What I would consider ""brutally slow"", other distillers consider a typical collection rate.

There are so many variables so get some runs under your belt so that you can aquire your own thoughts.

Another method for ensuring a good flavor carry over would be to hold back a quantity of wash. Strip the main body then add back the remaining wash to the spirit run.

I run a thumper, so at times I will charge my thumper with a bit of wash.

There are so many ways to run and layer the complexity of your likker.

And thats why the big boys keep their strategies proprietary.

Did I put the vodka/nuetural crew to sleep yet?BigGrin
"
Offline Ridge runner  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, April 21, 2010 11:50:13 PM(UTC)
Ridge runner

"Wow, you guys have a wealth of info! Thanks for taking the time to share.

I'm definitely after flavor more than proof and I'll for sure go the potstill route and taste and blend as suggested. No popskull for me, thanks, so I'll cull those heads carefully.

Will aging in charred oak casks vs glass cause a loss of more delicate pear flavors or enhance it? Maybe a comparison of each is in order.

As a long time vintner I'm looking forward to the challenges of the spirit world and I'm sure you'll hear more from me. Rum and gin are on the list to come.

Thanks again and Salud!"
Offline LWTCS  
#10 Posted : Thursday, April 22, 2010 12:44:57 AM(UTC)
LWTCS

"If you put that pear brandy on oak,,,,I'm thankin you'll not get the delicate pear to poke out.

I thank it would be a nice likker on oak, but it would be a shame to loose the pear.

Tasting may not be as gratifing immediately after your run. Your brandy will likely be a bit hot to taste your pear. Let your jars air.

Brandy will get better as time passes."
Offline LWTCS  
#11 Posted : Thursday, April 22, 2010 7:29:56 AM(UTC)
LWTCS

"I rescind after thankin bout this all day.

Recon if you aged at 60 to 65% then diluted with a held back bit of wine or juice,,,,,,you'd get a pretty nice pear outta that brandy.

Maybe Blanikdog could weigh in on this?

Just remember that it doesn't matter what anyone thinks. Let your taste buds tell you what is most excellant."