logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline NewYawk  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 24, 2010 4:24:00 AM(UTC)
NewYawk

Groups: Registered

"I was quite certain that I would have a funny story before I even had a chance to distill my first batch. I purchased a 1500w cadco / broil king burner and it tells you in the manual to heat it on high for 10 mins without any pot to allow the coating to seal properly.

I set it up in the basement (its winter) where I intended to do my initial water boil test for the HC2.... well, I turned it on, went upstairs for about 4 mins and upon returning found my basement filled with some funky white smoke... god knows what third appendage I will be growing in the following months :)

I turned off the burner for fear of something gone wrong and not sure if I should attempt to heat it for the remaining 6 mins or to just start using it as normal."
Offline ratflinger  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 24, 2010 4:43:13 AM(UTC)
ratflinger

There's always some kind of coating left over from the manufacturing process. I'd take the thing outside & burn it off. After that is should be fine. Mine only smokes if I spill something on it.
Offline div4gold  
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 24, 2010 12:51:09 PM(UTC)
div4gold

"
Originally Posted by: NewYawk Go to Quoted Post
I was quite certain that I would have a funny story before I even had a chance to distill my first batch. I purchased a 1500w cadco / broil king burner and it tells you in the manual to heat it on high for 10 mins without any pot to allow the coating to seal properly.

I set it up in the basement (its winter) where I intended to do my initial water boil test for the HC2.... well, I turned it on, went upstairs for about 4 mins and upon returning found my basement filled with some funky white smoke... god knows what third appendage I will be growing in the following months :)

I turned off the burner for fear of something gone wrong and not sure if I should attempt to heat it for the remaining 6 mins or to just start using it as normal.

I didn't read my info that came with the hot plate real well but I had it in the garage and it smoked it up pretty good. Re-read the instructions and it says it will smoke some and to do the initial burn off outside. Now we both know :)

If you use it before burning off the protective coating you will put a funky residue on your cooker. Burn it all off before using it."
Offline mountainsparky  
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 20, 2010 10:18:22 AM(UTC)
mountainsparky

"Thanks, you saved me some embarrasment. Will run grill and hickory over pork just before burning off.

PS. I'm back and will be on more often with a few or maybe a lot of questions.Blushing:) Tough year out here in the badlands.Wink"
Offline div4gold  
#5 Posted : Saturday, February 20, 2010 10:35:11 AM(UTC)
div4gold

"
Originally Posted by: mountainsparky Go to Quoted Post
Thanks, you saved me some embarrasment. Will run grill and hickory over pork just before burning off.

PS. I'm back and will be on more often with a few or maybe a lot of questions.Blushing:) Tough year out here in the badlands.Wink

That sounds like a Southern thing :) I can almost smell it ."
Offline mtnwalker2  
#6 Posted : Saturday, February 20, 2010 12:25:10 PM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Originally Posted by: div4gold Go to Quoted Post
That sounds like a Southern thing :) I can almost smell it .

Never too old to learn. Also sorry, if you are useing a hot plate to heat, forget the keg idea. I use propane and didn't check back emails. Sorry."
Offline div4gold  
#7 Posted : Saturday, February 20, 2010 12:52:01 PM(UTC)
div4gold

"
Originally Posted by: mtnwalker2 Go to Quoted Post
Never too old to learn. Also sorry, if you are useing a hot plate to heat, forget the keg idea. I use propane and didn't check back emails. Sorry.

If I was using a hot plate with a keg I'd have to shave twice before I got the heads off :) I'm satisfied with the Brewhaus HC for my purposes. The 1500 watt hot plate gets my heads off in one hour and 35 minutes from a cold start and that is good from what I was used too."
Offline mountainsparky  
#8 Posted : Sunday, February 21, 2010 10:36:45 PM(UTC)
mountainsparky

Being Southern, I like to hang out so will work on the motorcycle (close by of course) while waiting for the temp to rise. :)