logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Nedhead  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 07, 2010 4:57:47 AM(UTC)
Nedhead

Groups: Registered

"A little adventure I hope not to repeat!

I'm new at distilling and brewing in general. I've been using a friends turkey fryer to cook my mash but he needed it back so for Christmas I got a large soup pot from my wife (who doesn't like whiskey but has tolerated my habit because I make her Irish Cream too!). So about an hour into my cooking I start hearing a popping noise under my pot. I didn't pay much attention to it, just thinking my new pot was getting broken in (in hindsight I'm not sure what that means!).

So I walk the dog and I come back and pour the mash into my fermenter bucket. I then realized that my glass stove top was cracked to all hell! It was only then that I learned not all pots can be used on glass tops (something is extremely small print on the pot). I thought my wife would kill me (and probably should have) and even worse kill my whiskey hobby. Luckily I married the most wonderful women in the world and she let me off with buying her a new stove and shifting my operations to a huge crock pot (which I'm excited to try).

The good news is that the wheat mash I was cooking is fermenting well and I'm excited to get it in the still and then in my belly! It better be great because it is costing me about $400 a bottle!"
Offline LWTCS  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 07, 2010 12:03:57 PM(UTC)
LWTCS

"Thats a good story Ned.

Gotta keep the missus placated.

Good luck on your run."
Offline ratflinger  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 09, 2010 3:18:03 AM(UTC)
ratflinger

"
Originally Posted by: Nedhead Go to Quoted Post
A little adventure I hope not to repeat!

I'm new at distilling and brewing in general. I've been using a friends turkey fryer to cook my mash but he needed it back so for Christmas I got a large soup pot from my wife (who doesn't like whiskey but has tolerated my habit because I make her Irish Cream too!). So about an hour into my cooking I start hearing a popping noise under my pot. I didn't pay much attention to it, just thinking my new pot was getting broken in (in hindsight I'm not sure what that means!).

So I walk the dog and I come back and pour the mash into my fermenter bucket. I then realized that my glass stove top was cracked to all hell! It was only then that I learned not all pots can be used on glass tops (something is extremely small print on the pot). I thought my wife would kill me (and probably should have) and even worse kill my whiskey hobby. Luckily I married the most wonderful women in the world and she let me off with buying her a new stove and shifting my operations to a huge crock pot (which I'm excited to try).

The good news is that the wheat mash I was cooking is fermenting well and I'm excited to get it in the still and then in my belly! It better be great because it is costing me about $400 a bottle!

Did not know that. I wouldn't have a glass top anyway as the missus prefers gas, but it's a good future reference."