logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline old stump juicer  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 23, 2009 3:48:11 PM(UTC)
old stump juicer

Groups: Registered

"I was one of the many people in Alabama who believed that distilling spirits was actually legal, but after a call to Montgomery I have discovered that it is not!
If you run a still no matter what the size you are at risk of prossicution."
Offline mtnwalker2  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 23, 2009 11:28:50 PM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

My Uncle Joe was arrested for selling home-stilled whiskey. His lawyer put him on the stand and asked the jurors to look carefully at his client. Now, ladies and gentleman of the jury, concluded the lawyer. You have looked carefully at the defendant. Can you sit there in the jury and honestly believe that if my client had a quart of whiskey he would sell it? He was acquitted....
Offline old stump juicer  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 24, 2009 5:42:34 AM(UTC)
old stump juicer

"I am using your receipe with a few changes, tell me what you think.
My turkey frier would only hold 3 gal of water so I didn't do the five gal you recomended; My wheat germ came in 14 oz jars so I came up a little short there too. I also used my well water and after cooking two batches I topped the level up to 12 gal which did a great job of lowering the temp, then aireaited it with a pump from wally world.
It was 88 deg when I dumped the whisky yeast in and this morning it is 78 and holding. I have a 200 watt aquirium heater rigged in a plastic jug like on your post, here the hard part was finding a plastic jug with a top large enough to fit the heater in. I found the wal mart great value lemonaid in the gallon size was the answer. I sealed the lid back with a hot glue gun since I needed it going at short notice.
How long do you think it should take for this mash to work off? And is that champign yeast you posted about as good as the whisky yeast from brewhaus. Thanks Glenn"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 24, 2009 9:40:32 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"Hi Glen,

That should work just fine, presuming you added your sugar and citric acid to the boil to convert it, and boiled for 90 min. or so. Either yeast will work fine, the champagne yeast (2 packs for that size) is only about .90/pack though.

I haven't, but some have re sugared the stillage, cooled back into the lees and run it again.

If it works right, it will foam. A lot!

How could you possibly fry a turkey in a 3 gal. pot?

Usually works off in 4 days. Perhaps a day longer in your larger batch? When finished it should tast like a pretty tasty beer, with hints of apple and pears. Distills a great drink, white or oaked."
Offline joe_r  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 24, 2009 10:23:58 AM(UTC)
joe_r

Hey mntwalker2. That was funny! Do you have a picture of him so you can post it! Merry Christmas. I should be runnin' some more single malt with a touch of smoked malt soon. I'm waiting for a propane burner to arrive. The other single malt is coming along nicely in the oak barrel. And I'm diving into beer also. DARK ALE!
Offline mtnwalker2  
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 24, 2009 10:46:46 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"Hi Joe. I guess I could post my picture, but am afraid it would scare off all the new distillersOhMyGod

I bought a converted keg for kegs.com i think it is, that has a 12"" opening, and a valve and siphon tube with a false bottom for grains, barley in particular. for my scotches, but later for some beer also. My first try will be stout I think. I want to get way ahead on my distilling first and get it all ageing. Working the grains first, then move to brandies, then perhaps a few wines. Black Currant and elderberry are the first on the list there. I also have 2 more traditional wine kits already. A merlot and a cab.

just never seems enough time to get it all done. I just ordered a turkey fryer burner also. Mine was takeing almost 2 hours just to heat. This one is supposed to heat a 40 gal. pot to boiling in 15 min. or simmer eggs. Hopefully, will save me a lot of time.

Merry Christmas to everyone!"
Offline old stump juicer  
#7 Posted : Thursday, December 24, 2009 5:41:57 PM(UTC)
old stump juicer

"John, I used 2 packs of whisky yeast and yes I boiled the ingredients as you instructed. tonight the mash was down to 77 deg and the foaming has slowed considerably. I wrapped the furmenter with R19 insulation and will see if that will keep the temperture from falling any further.
If that doesn't work I will go with my idea of building a small box from those walk in cooler pannels to keep the cold at bay.
We have had so much rain and cool weather that it is hard to keep anything warm around here.
Merry Christmas to you and your family, and thanks Glenn"