logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline cooker  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2009 5:58:46 AM(UTC)
cooker

Groups: Registered

does anyone have any esperience with the turbo rum yeat? Any good recipe's?
Offline GinGinGin  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 13, 2010 3:42:07 AM(UTC)
GinGinGin

I have used the turbo rum and it works pretty well. If the sg gets above 1.11 the yeast will have a harder time, I found that out by more of a mistake. It does take longer to frement the sugar than the 48 hour yeast, i will generally give it a week to frement. *I have used the turbo yeast with molasses, white sugar and molasses, brown sugar and molasses and just brown sugar and found no difference in my distillate. *I usally make a spiced rum. *I use 2 cups of medium toast oak, *all spice, clove, lemon and orange zest, vanilla bean (part of it), nutmeg and cinnimon. The cinnimon goes a long way so I only put it in for one night. I let everything soak at barrel strength till I get the color I want. Then I sweeten it with unfiltered honey, carmelized sugar and glyserin. Then I filter it and cut it. Usally it comes out a pretty gold color. *Please excuse my typos I typed this on a train. *
Offline div4gold  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 28, 2010 5:02:07 PM(UTC)
div4gold

"
Originally Posted by: cooker Go to Quoted Post
does anyone have any esperience with the turbo rum yeat? Any good recipe's?

Not much yet but I will update in a few days. I started a batch of rum today using the Brewhaus 'Rum Turbo', all I have ever used prior is the EC1118. I've had pretty good results with that but couldn't help trying the Turbo. Well I mixed it up like my usual reciept except I didn't add the nutrients and epson salt like usual. I then added the Rum Turbo and locked it off. It hadn't been 5 minutes at the most and it was percolating. The EC 1118 usually takes 3-4 hours for the first bubble. The Turbo started off like gangbusters, now I've got to wait to see how it finishes."
Offline mroe  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 20, 2010 1:17:08 PM(UTC)
mroe

I'm trying Liquor Quick's brand of Rum Turbo Yeast. I'm not sure if I want to follow the directions on the package. I usually use 42 oz of molasses and 14 lbs of sugar all in 5 gal of water. Usually makes pretty good tasting white rum. The package only calls for 5 lbs of sugar, that sure don't seem like much. Any advise welcome. I'm going to try your spice additive and see how it goes. Thanks for tyeh advice.
Offline div4gold  
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 21, 2010 6:43:15 AM(UTC)
div4gold

"
Originally Posted by: mroe Go to Quoted Post
I'm trying Liquor Quick's brand of Rum Turbo Yeast. I'm not sure if I want to follow the directions on the package. I usually use 42 oz of molasses and 14 lbs of sugar all in 5 gal of water. Usually makes pretty good tasting white rum. The package only calls for 5 lbs of sugar, that sure don't seem like much. Any advise welcome. I'm going to try your spice additive and see how it goes. Thanks for tyeh advice.

My last batch ran was 32 oz of molasses and 8 lbs of sugar, using the BH rum turbo. I've never used that much sugar (14 lb) but have used 10 lbs and can't tell any difference in finished product or any volumn difference."
Offline GinGinGin  
#6 Posted : Sunday, March 21, 2010 2:58:18 PM(UTC)
GinGinGin

To answer the question about how much sugar to add I would use the directions as a guide but use the STD gravity as the rule. One time had the gravity above 1.11 and the it crushed most of my yeast. The mash took three weeks instead on the typical week and half. I have heard you want to watch the sugar in the mash because residual sugar is hard to clean out of the unit. Also on the sugar idea I have tried several mixes of sugar and molasses and there was no taste difference for me. That might be just me. See my above post for a simple spiced recipe.