logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline flyboytr  
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 11, 2009 1:30:21 AM(UTC)
flyboytr

Groups: Registered

This is a gravity flow, sealed system, charcoal filter I built last year. It has a total length of 8'. After trying the filter I ordered (three tubes with connecting sleeves, etc),which really sucked in my opinion!...I decided there had to be a better way. I decided on a loop system. I was able to get the surface area I wanted and have a unit that was only 3' tall.

There are four openings, inlet, outlet and the top & bottom access ports. The top port extends higher to also act as an air trap. Just in case the water didn't purge all the air in the beginning. It allows the air to move upward and away from the flow of the distillate.

The top and bottom caps (orange) are actually caps for carboys and fit perfectly over the PVC fitting. I use stainless hose clamps to ensure a tight connection. I take a handful of cotton balls, squeezed tightly into a ball and inserted inside the outlet. This keeps the charcoal from running out the bottom of the filter. The orange cap is then installed and clamped. The bottom outlet hose is now clamped and distilled water is added via the inlet and the top access port (again,helps to remove air and I can add charcoal until I know it is full). Replace threaded access cap and the orange inlet cap. A "supply" container is placed above the unit, filled with water, hose inserted and a siphon is started (using the little short top tube). Once the air in the inlet tube has been purged out through the little short tube, it is clamped.

I then run about a gallon of water through the system and again loosen the top access port cap to let any air escape. Same thing is done with the little short tube next to the inlet tube. When the water is almost gone from the top container,I add my spirits (cut to 100-110 proof with distilled water). Never let the supply container run empty,air gets into the system!

The flow rate is about 25cc a minute. It is easy to track the alcohol in the tube when starting the unit. The tube will initially heat up where the alcohol is at. So you can feel the separation between the water and the spirits.

Last thoughts, I use a length of 12 gauge copper wire (house wiring) inserted inside the inlet hose. This allows me to bend the hose to fit over the rim and inside the supply container (hose won't fall out!). At the very tip, I make a 90 degree bend about 1" from the end of the hose. The hose is also cut at a 45 degree angle. This keeps the hose end from getting sucked up against the container and stopping the flow! I have used a full 5 gallon carboy for the supply and an empty one for the catch. This allows plenty of time for it to work on its own. I have left it unattended for several hours at a time,while it just quietly does its job!

Anyway,something different. Just wanted to share.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Offline flyboytr  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 11, 2009 1:34:29 AM(UTC)
flyboytr

Groups: Registered

A few more pictures. As an FYI...I use the pink teflon tape on the threaded fittings for the caps. The pink is for natural gas pipe lines, etc. It is MUCH thicker than regular white teflon tape. Seals much better on the rough PVC threads and you only have to hand tighten the cap.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage