logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline scotty  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2009 12:10:52 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

"That one could make the proper cuts by reading the % of alcohol being produced--i cant seem to find that info again.

Can anyone help me on this please"
Offline scotty  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 08, 2009 1:23:58 AM(UTC)
scotty

"My latest findings on using temperature for cuts--
I will be running with a parrot.

Please cpmment disagree or support the findings or method.

Learning is the most important thing.

1-- discard foreshots. 5-6 gallon batches pprobablt 100 ml of foreshots

2-- collect heads till %ABV reaches 80% than start collecting main body

3-- stop collecting main body when %ABV reaches 65%

4-- Collect tails from 65% ABV till head temp becomes unstable ans rises to the 200 fegree F range.

5-- Stop collecting tails at about 20% ABV

6-- mix heads and tails for the next low wines run

7--always save heads and tails((feints)) to add to the subsequent low wines runs

8-- When you have enough feints to make a run just with feints, do so for a very special result ?????"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 08, 2009 2:38:13 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

Groups: Registered

"Scotty,

Thats a pretty good basic guide. I would suggest that you start collecting at 85% in 8 oz. increments kept seperate. then at 80 collect hearts until the tails. Then collect a few more jars in small amounts. Cover the jars with a coffee filter and let them air for 24 hours. Judge by taste and smell. You may want to add some of the collected heads for flavor, and often the early tails will clean up just fine, even down into the 50s Depends on the individual mash etc. And especially when useing a parrot, as it will mix the cuts due to volume.
Anymore, I make all cuts via taste and smell. Dilute a bit in a spoon and taste. You will soon learn where to cut.

If you take the packing out of that column, and no reflux water, you can use it as a pot still. Packing is still a good thing for a pot column as it stops condensation on the column walls- a bit of reflux there.

Collect tails to the 20% or so range, or until flow is not worth the wait and power."
Offline scotty  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 08, 2009 3:58:45 AM(UTC)
scotty

"OK MW
i figured the parrot would get me over the initial learning curve.

I like the 85% start . I read that that would add a bit more flavor + to the finished product

On using the still for both pot and reflux.

That is what i will do now but i want to add some valves to controll the water flow and direction plus a valve to allow the still to run at 100% reflux-- im not sure how i will know it is effective in this mode but its just in the thinking stage now.

THANKS FOR THE REPLY btw

Originally Posted by: mtnwalker2 Go to Quoted Post
Scotty,

Thats a pretty good basic guide. I would suggest that you start collecting at 85% in 8 oz. increments kept seperate. then at 80 collect hearts until the tails. Then collect a few more jars in small amounts. Cover the jars with a coffee filter and let them air for 24 hours. Judge by taste and smell. You may want to add some of the collected heads for flavor, and often the early tails will clean up just fine, even down into the 50s Depends on the individual mash etc. And especially when useing a parrot, as it will mix the cuts due to volume.
Anymore, I make all cuts via taste and smell. Dilute a bit in a spoon and taste. You will soon learn where to cut.

If you take the packing out of that column, and no reflux water, you can use it as a pot still. Packing is still a good thing for a pot column as it stops condensation on the column walls- a bit of reflux there.

Collect tails to the 20% or so range, or until flow is not worth the wait and power.
"