logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline jsanders  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 14, 2009 2:14:18 AM(UTC)
jsanders

Groups: Registered

I am going to try a few batches of UJSM and age them in oak barrels. How should I set up the PS II?
Offline ratflinger  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2009 9:25:43 AM(UTC)
ratflinger

Pot still with the upper unit only, no packing & no water except in the condenser. Refluxing will remove the flavors, which you will want. Refluxing is only for neutrals. Toss foreshots, keep heads & tails for later batches & use your backset. My understanding is that the UJSM won't be that good until after a couple of backset runs.
Offline jsanders  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2009 10:30:49 AM(UTC)
jsanders

Thanks rat. I'm just going to put the first batch in reflux and use it for vodka. Then with the next ones I'll do like you said. Should be fun. I'm not sure it's fermenting right but I'm going to check it tonight and see if it's still sweet after a week.I'll let ya'll know. It's been kind of quiet around here, what's going on?
Offline mtnwalker2  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2009 11:16:57 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Originally Posted by: jsanders Go to Quoted Post
Thanks rat. I'm just going to put the first batch in reflux and use it for vodka. Then with the next ones I'll do like you said. Should be fun. I'm not sure it's fermenting right but I'm going to check it tonight and see if it's still sweet after a week.I'll let ya'll know. It's been kind of quiet around here, what's going on?

Haveing done about 50 of the UJSM with corn and other grains, i found a bit of additions makes for a much faster and more flavorable product.

I add half the recommended amount of ph buffer, half the recommended amount of yeast nutrients, and a bit of AGenzymes to each batch. Ferments way faster, cleaner, and with more grain flavor. The ferments don't slow down, as the yeasts stay happy. Not a bad idea to gently stir them once a day for 2 days."
Offline jsanders  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2009 11:25:10 AM(UTC)
jsanders

"
Originally Posted by: mtnwalker2 Go to Quoted Post
Haveing done about 50 of the UJSM with corn and other grains, i found a bit of additions makes for a much faster and more flavorable product.

I add half the recommended amount of ph buffer, half the recommended amount of yeast nutrients, and a bit of AGenzymes to each batch. Ferments way faster, cleaner, and with more grain flavor. The ferments don't slow down, as the yeasts stay happy. Not a bad idea to gently stir them once a day for 2 days.

Do you think I can do it this way on the 2d run of what I've got now? I don't have those things yet and hate to waste any time."
Offline mtnwalker2  
#6 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2009 11:42:11 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

Absolutely, Will work well and many make many itterations this way. Just a slower ferment. Some have gone 10 or more ferments without additions. I'm just impatiant. Also, I don't like to stress the yeasts as they can give off flavors several runs down the line.