logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline fred815  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 21, 2009 11:49:26 AM(UTC)
fred815

Groups: Registered

Just what in the heck is this stuff any who????
Offline mtnwalker2  
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 21, 2009 12:07:52 PM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Originally Posted by: fred815 Go to Quoted Post
Just what in the heck is this stuff any who????

A French green fairie.

actually it was a distilled beverage useing wormwoods, anise and many other herbs. Twas distilled into a nice green to clear color, and when water was poured very slowly over a cube of sugar, it would louche or cloud into a beautiful drink that the French and other artisans loved. It became so popular, that it cut deep into the wine makers sales and they did a scare scam on it with the result it was outlawed as the claim the thujone would cause mental aberations. It is only recently been made legal to manufacture again in several countries. The scare hype was unsabstantiated. Did last a long time though.

Many home artisans are makeing this again though. Its a tough craft."
Offline garyliza  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2009 10:29:51 AM(UTC)
garyliza

"
Originally Posted by: mtnwalker2 Go to Quoted Post
A French green fairie.

actually it was a distilled beverage useing wormwoods, anise and many other herbs. Twas distilled into a nice green to clear color, and when water was poured very slowly over a cube of sugar, it would louche or cloud into a beautiful drink that the French and other artisans loved. It became so popular, that it cut deep into the wine makers sales and they did a scare scam on it with the result it was outlawed as the claim the thujone would cause mental aberations. It is only recently been made legal to manufacture again in several countries. The scare hype was unsabstantiated. Did last a long time though.

Many home artisans are makeing this again though. Its a tough craft.

You can make this drink using essenses from brewhaus, a combination of the wormwood schnapps, Besk essense, and the Absinthe White essense. Calls for 140 proof vodka, and some sugar. I've tried it, and like it, BUT, keep in mind that you will probably need to like licorish, since the anise spice in it tends to give it quite a bit of that flavor."
Offline fred815  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2009 2:13:28 PM(UTC)
fred815

ok so I blend three or two essences (like the brewhaus sales thing calls for)? Geez they have the regular stuff and a white version?? Decisions Decisions?? Have you ever tried disolving sugar in alcohol? Put in blender till the cows come home. perhaps some boiling h2o and use some 90 abv to get the called for proof.
Offline tikisteve  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2009 10:23:02 PM(UTC)
tikisteve

"If anyone is interested in making absinth from scratch, here is a link I found. It tells a bit of the history about it and on page 3, there are about 4 recipes.
http://chemistry.about.com/od/c...owtoguide/a/absinthe.htm
Also I found a site that sells all the herbs in bulk if interested.
http://www.herbalcom.com/store....025daadbc3b0901e0cad22f0
Cheers!
TS"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2009 12:52:42 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"Thanks TS.

Made up 4 bottles of the brewhaus essences last weekend. It was a real hit with all. I see why it was such a rage in history.

I saved those links to give them a try."
Offline tikisteve  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, June 30, 2009 9:45:25 AM(UTC)
tikisteve

"I have 3.5 liters of 190 proof netural I've been sitting on wondering what to do with it and now I've found it, I'm pretty excited to get started.
I'll post the outcome in about 5 weeks.
TS"
Offline tikisteve  
#8 Posted : Monday, August 24, 2009 10:07:20 AM(UTC)
tikisteve

"FYI.
A little over a month ago I got the urge to make my own absinthe using all natural herbs instead of the essence. I found a few recipes on Wikipedia and I made my first batch and it came out really good.(if you like the taste of liquorish) When I distilled after the first maceration the aroma coming from my still was great. After the second maceration, the green color was amazing, I couldn't wait to try it.
Now after further research, I found that the recipe I used actually call out for only a small amount of wormwood, I used 6 grams per 750mls when other recipes I found later in me research called out for about 30 grams. So my next test batch will be a bit more potent. I also found that common sage has anywhere from 30% to 60% more thujone that wormwood."